beer Being Crafty

grantmichaels said:
All the folks standing in line aren't waiting for "special beers" ... they are waiting for fresh beer, which is why they are buying each and every one that get released, even though some are clearly better than others - or are subjectively appreciated more, however you like to put it ...

The commonality isn't stylistic, it's the freshness.

Yeah, I definitely agree with this. I've done a bunch of trading waiting in beer lines lately, and the first thing anyone asks after what kind of beer it was, is when it was canned. Unless you have some super rare beer, no one will trade with you for anything that's been in the can over a month.

Homebrewer lore also says, "you don't have to worry about water, unless you need to worry about water" ...

That's just more bullshit.

There's a lot of bullshit.

Hot side aeration ... bullshit.

Need a hard boil ... bullshit.

Need to chill fast ... bullshit.

Late addition hops don't add real bitterness ... basically bullshit.

Need a diacetyl rest ... bullshit, part of the time, anyways.

You need a thick mash ... bullshit.

What isn't bullshit - you're going to have to figure it all out for yourself while chasing great beer. Might as well start ...

Thegreenchilemonster said:
Hahaha, yeah I always laugh when people tell me they leave their beers in primary for a month.

I will say that a hard boil, for at least 20 minutes is pretty necessary when making kettle sours, after they have been lacto soured. That hard boil blows off a ton of DMS.

Like the only malt that has the inherent SMM to make a shit-load of DMS/DMSO these days though, is Pilsner ...

I'm not saying it's not great to have a great process, I'm just saying knowing how the shit works is the only way to know when you have to take the long way, but be able to take the short cuts the rest of the time ...

grantmichaels said:
Until I drink a beer I sat on that improved, surely, I'm sticking to my conviction that it's total BS ...

Brewer's and barrel-manager's and taster's are sampling and sampling and when they decide the beer is ready to bottle, it's f**king ready to drink, and I specifically DO NOT buy that they gamble on "I think this will be perfect a few months after I bottle it" ...

I think that's Sales Copy and Ad/Marketing Darkness designed to sell beer ...

Not only do I think it, though ... I've heard the conversations on The Session where the sales people and brewers are "on air" together and the struggle is real ...

I think it's bullshit ...

PS - DFH 120 might be a singular notable exception that comes to mind, but I can think of no other beer that improves over time, in a bottle ...

WWS also does very well int he cellar, I have done both for a few years. 

grantmichaels said:

Like the only malt that has the inherent SMM to make a shit-load of DMS/DMSO these days though, is Pilsner ...

I'm not saying it's not great to have a great process, I'm just saying knowing how the shit works is the only way to know when you have to take the long way, but be able to take the short cuts the rest of the time ...

Yeah, I use 50% pilsner for my kettle sours. The wort smells like straight DMS, and sweet sauerkraut when it is done souring. The boil helps, and a very vigorous fermentation kicks the rest of the DMS out.

Thegreenchilemonster said:
Yeah, I use 50% pilsner for my kettle sours. The wort smells like straight DMS, and sweet sauerkraut when it is done souring. The boil helps, and a very vigorous fermentation kicks the rest of the DMS out.

Yeah. So, the wort never boils in the Z ... when you create a recipe you target 207F ... which is hot enough, and less turbulent through the lines ...

Because it's circulating through the glycol heat exchanger and getting dumped back into the keg through the gas post ... it falls through the air on it's way back to the rest of the batch on the return loop ...

I'm just pointing out that boiling hard isn't about 212F in temp, it's about the increased surface contact for off-gassing ...

If someone's on their range, and they are doing a batch, and it's barely boiling ... they stress, because of all of the people (talking to propane outdoor folks, as their audience) talking about needing to have a hard boil ...

Truth be told, you can just stir the batch inside for 30 mins of it lightly rolling, and end up at the same space ...

If you don't really know, then you don't know that ...

I know I've been that person stressing about a weak boil on the range, and someone saying to stir it would have been really helpful ...

There's a lot more bad - or at least, flawed - good advice out there, that just gets regurgitated ad nauseam ...

The. Internet.

:cheers:

JoynersHotPeppers said:
WWS also does very well int he cellar, I have done both for a few years. 

I think if you had one a month after receipt, side-by-side with one that's a year-and-a-month older, you'd prefer the one-month, ALL WHILE LONG-TIME-LOVING THE thirteen-month one in a standalone tasting.

grantmichaels said:

I think if you had one a month after receipt, side-by-side with one that's a year-and-a-month older, you'd prefer the one-month, ALL WHILE LONG-TIME-LOVING THE thirteen-month one in a standalone tasting.

Nah, I have done that, fresh, 12 month and 24 month, 5 year cycle with 120. The one I sent you is good now but I like how it settles, to each their own. 

Follow brewers and they phrase it along the lines of "this one from XX years ago has held up pretty well" ...

Find me a brewer with an old beer pic that says anything setup in the positive space - "this improved over the years" ...

You won't.

Beer is alive, beer is dying. It's a a storm of bullshit so fierce, it could only come from Mordor.

Some beer love from the west coast!!!

Thanks 'mater

IMG_7719.JPG

And for Grant

IMG_7716.JPG

Back