• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

overwintering Bents winter experiment

hows everyone coping with the cold? My experiment with temps & daylight hours seems to be working well.
I moved a couple of stunted, stagnating 7's around to the sunny side of the house last week and they've grown 2" & got flower nodes already. Will move a plant or two every few weeks and see if i can ride out the winter lull.
I don't want to pre-count my chickens - the proof will be in the ripening.

hiya bent keep us informed,love to no how things go week by week,got my own little experiment going in wales,to see how some bolivian/hybrid types can cope with higher/cooler/windier conditions:)

exactly - we dont get to freezing here apart from a day or two if you factor in the wind chill. So no reason I can't produce pods year round.
These plants think they've sprouted & grown for a few months in winter. It looks like they will flower ok - its the pod ripening that seems to hit the wall. That seems to have more to do with temperature & not so much to do with light.

We have a lot of light too. no clouds and can't get out without some sun glasses or a cap.

don't talk to me about sun lol...they're already mentioning the 'D' word (drought) again in the news.

I'm back to bucket watering :(

rainbowberry said:
We have sun in England (wow, it's big, yellow and hot) and I have a very unhappy, floppy Orange Rocoto.
The plants are happy (well most of them), but the people are not.
Can't go outside between 2 to 4 without getting burned, even for just a minute.

I think it'll start to rain soon. When I walked down to the food store an hour ago, the temperature was around 25°C.

bentalphanerd said:
hows everyone coping with the cold? My experiment with temps & daylight hours seems to be working well.
I moved a couple of stunted, stagnating 7's around to the sunny side of the house last week and they've grown 2" & got flower nodes already. Will move a plant or two every few weeks and see if i can ride out the winter lull.
I don't want to pre-count my chickens - the proof will be in the ripening.

always thinking two pots ahead!

:lol: yeah we have a heatwave kinda thing right now, we can turn off the heating and even open windows. Almost at the point of putting the A/C on in the car :)

ill second that rainbowberry,but at least we have some sun at last,emptied the greenhouse and all chillis in the sun..except habs/hot bannas/ which seem to wilt if left to long:shocked:

rainbowberry said:
:lol: yeah we have a heatwave kinda thing right now, we can turn off the heating and even open windows. Almost at the point of putting the A/C on in the car :)
Sounds like a good weather to me. hope you'll enjoy it and if not, at least get the type of weather you like.
I like it at the 20-25c range, and where I live the humidity is off the charts. the only way to get more humid is taking a bath. :lol:

rainbowberry said:
I like rainbow weather :)
:lol:
Should have seen that coming.

It's Israel's national independence day on Thursday and we're having this "event" at work. all the big shot people and their families will be there, so there will be some children activities. what I'm trying to say is... we'll have PONIES!!! :lol:

Back