• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

chinense BHUT JOLOKIA PURPLE!

I think I got some of those seeds from you, JR. Didnt get to stick 'em in this year. Plan on it for NEXT year though!
I'm growing a Purple Bhut as well right now. Wanna guess where I got MY seeds from? lol It really IS a cool-looking plant. It's started to green out a little more, but the first few sets were REALLY cool looking. The other leaves still look cool, but the first ones were almost like a Black Pearl. The plant is doing pretty well, so I SHOULD be able to get some pods this year. If I do, I will send some out to people!

Cool. Piccies piccies piccies please!
Would love to see.

Micca

I will get some up tomorrow. (I guess today, actually.) Need some advice on something that has happened to some leaves on a few plants. The purple bhut has a little on one leaf, I believe. Doesnt look TOO serious though.

Nah, no pics yet. I know it's been awhile since I promised them. It turns out that the stuff that was happening to the purple bhut, as well as a few others, was aphids. The purple bhut took it the hardest. It didnt die, but it is stunted pretty dang good. My older ButchT had them as well, but it has thrived since then. So I dunno if the purple will make it. I'll keep ya'll updated, as long as I can remember to! lol

Nah, no pics yet. I know it's been awhile since I promised them. It turns out that the stuff that was happening to the purple bhut, as well as a few others, was aphids. The purple bhut took it the hardest. It didnt die, but it is stunted pretty dang good. My older ButchT had them as well, but it has thrived since then. So I dunno if the purple will make it. I'll keep ya'll updated, as long as I can remember to! lol

Not nice to hear, hope it pulls through. Darn bloody Aphids they are a real pain!!!

Micca

I'm very curious about this purple bhut.

Hope the plant recovers fast so that we can see some pics of it.

I would guess that it will still need a couple more back crosses with the original bhut to make sure that the heat is about the same.
Anyway this is an excelent step in the right direction :)

Bleash

Here's my plant:

P1090356.jpg

Chris

Hi Chris,
are those the seeds from Kaiser...maybe a C. Annuum x C. Chinense??????

Did the seedlings come up purple, like the Purple Peruvians tend to (C. frutescens)? Frutescens would be an easier cross since the Bhuts have been shown to have frutescens genes.

And actually I imagine you could keep backcrossing with the Bhut and generation after generation select for the seedlings that come up purple.

Yes JR, they're from Kaiser. They seem to be pure C. chinense based on my initial observations, but it's early. I'll continue to report. I don't think the fruit will look like Bhuts based on pictures Kaiser posted a year+ ago. Nonetheless, it's a cool plant and I'm intrigued.

Chris

Hi Chris,
are those the seeds from Kaiser...maybe a C. Annuum x C. Chinense??????

Back