• We welcome content that is not political, divisive, or offensive. If we feel your content leans this way or has the potential to, it may be removed at any time. A hot pepper forum is not the place for such content. Thank you for respecting the community!

Birth of a Tarantula

Spiders freakin' rule! They're one of the best creatures ever. A buddy of mine has 6 Pink - toed - I had 3 of them crawling over me a few days ago. They sure do get tickly.

We had a gathering of our local tarantula club at my home today. One of the guys opened up a couple of egg sacks. The first one had about 75 eggs in the sac and the second one had just a few more.

It's from a tarantula called Nhandu chromatus and they get quite large as adults, good six inches with a big body. They have tiny babies and a whole lot of them. Here's a photo of the eggs after they were removed from the sac.

IMG_6307aare.jpg

I'm figuring between 1200 and 1400. Utterly amazed me. The friend is into taking pictures so I know he'll document the growing process. If anyone is interested I'll borrow some of them and post them here for every one to see them. Here we go again.:)

Back