• We welcome content that is not political, divisive, or offensive. If we feel your content leans this way or has the potential to, it may be removed at any time. A hot pepper forum is not the place for such content. Thank you for respecting the community!

Birth of a Tarantula

I heard they liked to eat small children and turn full grown men into quivering blob's of tears and snot but Patrick steered me around...

Apparently they can be quite peaceful pets. I still dunno if I would want one crawling on me though...

lostmind said:
I heard they liked to eat small children and turn full grown men into quivering blob's of tears and snot but Patrick steered me around...

Apparently they can be quite peaceful pets. I still dunno if I would want one crawling on me though...

IMG_6689s.jpg

IMG_6685s.jpg

:P They are little poop-shooters sometimes! This little one tried to get me once but missed fortunately.

It's good to see others are interested in the "less mainstream" sort of pets. I love arachnids, don't have any though, my ex was afraid. I DO, however have 4 ball pythons, and I breed them. Anyone on ball-pythons.net, or reptilegeeks.com? I am Hypopita on both. :) Maybe I'll do some herp related posting on here!

Poisonette said:
Don't take this the wrong way - but it almost doesn't look like a real spider. It looks kinda like a kids stuffie toy shaped like a spider.
Both pics on this page are beautiful.

Are they as soft as they look?

And serious question here: What is their temperment like? They're overall personalities, are they friendly?

I can assure you all the pics are of real spiders. Pretty cool aren't they?

They are not soft and fuzzy toys to play with. Some folks like to handle their T's but I'm not one of them.

There are some that are more defensive than others and they will show you signs that they don't want to be messed with. Others you can handle just about any time. Each one has it's own "personality" and some days might not mind if you handle it while another day the spider may want to be left alone. They can show you the difference.

Good to see you around here IGGY, you're getting braver!

huntsman said:
Hmmm....You seem familiar.

Arachnoboards? :D

Yep, same user name as on AB. :D Haven't been there as much lately though. Sold all my spiders when I joined the military and though I still would like to have some..and might, I just haven't kept up with it since I don't have any of my own.

Pita said:
It's good to see others are interested in the "less mainstream" sort of pets. I love arachnids, don't have any though, my ex was afraid. I DO, however have 4 ball pythons, and I breed them. Anyone on ball-pythons.net, or reptilegeeks.com? I am Hypopita on both. :) Maybe I'll do some herp related posting on here!

I used to be active on kingsnake.com and on the mailing-list Slither which I believe was cancelled about 10 years ago. Please do post herp related stuff, I'm sure I'll enjoy it even if noone else does:)

I posted pictures of some of the snakes I used to keep:

http://www.thehotpepper.com/showthread.php?t=9061

Even a couple of ball pythons, or royal pythons as they are know as in Europe.

Don't keep any snakes now. I'm mainly interested in elapids but I'm too far from any hospital to risk it. Accidents do happen.

Time for an update.

My nine surviving spiders from this sac are doing well. They darken as they harden up and that's about the only change.

IMG_5664cre.jpg

I flipped this guy over so you could see what the top half looks like.

IMG_5666cre.jpg

Fat little bugger isn't he?

I'll update this when they molt again. Thanks for the interest gang.

Pat -

How many hatched out?

I was amazed to learn that the egg developed into the opisthosoma! I've never bred and had no idea...that's so cool!

Thanks, friend!

Sickmont said:
Heh heh heh sounds like an ex of mine

That was a great one!

MWM, they don't do much at this stage in their life I'm afraid. Things on the inside and outside are still developing. They'll molt again and should still be kind of translucent at first. Then they'll start to harden again. At this stage they can and will eat. They'll go for the unfertilized eggs I plan on leaving with them. They usually don't eat any of their brothers and sisters though.

lee said:
Just love spiders etc. Those little ones crawling on your hand are so cute:). Want one!:lol:

lee, I believe Vincent lives in the Netherlands too and I'm fairly certain he could hook you up. He used to breed them himself but I believe he's focusing on scorpions lately. Send him a PM and get yourself one. You will not regret it.

patrick said:
lee, I believe Vincent lives in the Netherlands too and I'm fairly certain he could hook you up. He used to breed them himself but I believe he's focusing on scorpions lately. Send him a PM and get yourself one. You will not regret it.

:), how long will they live?

It's not really known yet on some of them. There are some that could live for 40 years though no one has ever kept one that long that anyone is aware of. I have a couple of friends that have kept there's for 20+ years.

The hobby has been around for a long time but we're just now beginning to learn about them. We do know that arboreals, the ones that live above ground in trees and shrubs, don't live as long as the terrestrials, ground dwellers.

We have an adult female Grammostola rosea that was with one of my daughters high school teachers for close to 20 years and now we've had her for three.

Here's a photo of the beautiful, noble lady with a CD for size comparison. Big lady and very docile. In the photo she's got three large crickets in her chelicerae (fangs).

IMG_5722re.jpg

Back