• This is the place to discuss all spicy commerical products, not just sauce!

Black Mamba - CaJohns

a5d5e9f9e031423e9565476bfe5a458c

Well since I like a few of CaJohns sauces I thought I would buy this one for xmas for my partner. It is pretty expensive for its size but thought it sounded nice.
Ingredients: Chocolate Habaneros, Vinegar and Capsaicin. 60ml bottle

I smelt it first and all I could smell was extract. I tried it and my first thoughts were disgusting! It was extremely hot but I couldn't even taste the Choc habs or vinegar just extract.

Now I was just looking at Da Bomb thread and noticed a couple of people said that Black Mamba was hotter and tasted better, I'm wondering if I remember right or not so thought I better taste another bit now just to be sure.

...Ok well just dipped my finger into the lid. At first there was a lttle bit of a sweet taste, then just extract again.

I'm curious if anyone else actually likes this or not?

This will go back on the shelf just to look at and only be taken out for someone who says they can eat any hot sauce.
I really like CaJohn's Fatalli Fire and Z Beyond nothing is pretty good for an extract sauce but this just has no flavour:(

I have two bottles of it, but haven't opened them. One is a prototype and the other is a signed bottle. Both went right into my collection. ;)

The thing I love about Black Mamba, besides the ingredients list, is that it mixes into liquids (like chicken broth) very easily. You just have to add a little to make anything pretty hot. Which means you don't really mess with the flavor of whatever you are eating. Other sauces I use like that are thicker and don't mix as well.

I don't really use it as a straight sauce all on it's own.

xgrafcorex said:
The thing I love about Black Mamba, besides the ingredients list, is that it mixes into liquids (like chicken broth) very easily. You just have to add a little to make anything pretty hot. Which means you don't really mess with the flavor of whatever you are eating. Other sauces I use like that are thicker and don't mix as well.

I don't really use it as a straight sauce all on it's own.

Dave's Insanity sauce does a good job of this too.

I can definitely taste the chocolate habs, and it does taste sweet at first. I prefer it to Da Bomb for sure.

Yeah, you can taste the extract, but it's not a bad flavor at all IMO, nothing like many other extracts.

I bought some Mongoose today which is also from CaJohns. The guy at the store said it was supposed to be hotter than the Black Mamba. Should be pretty hot! :mouthonfire:

I have a bottle of mongoose here that I haven't opened. It is made with Bhut and Fatalii and no extract. Should taste a lot better and be very very very hot but considering it doesn't have extract in it I don't think it will be hotter. When you taste it let me know what you think xgrafcorex.

Wildfire Chilli Australia said:
I have a bottle of mongoose here that I haven't opened. It is made with Bhut and Fatalii and no extract. Should taste a lot better and be very very very hot but considering it doesn't have extract in it I don't think it will be hotter. When you taste it let me know what you think xgrafcorex.

Yea, not sure if it is actually hotter than the Black Mamba. The only bottle of BM I have is on my ship, and the Mongoose is here at home. I have duty tomorrow though, so I might take it in with me and do a comparison test. It's a good sauce though and is plenty hot!

its been awhile since i had black mamba and as i remember it, its all right but not the best extract sauce i have had. i need to try the mongoose though. thats number 1 on my list right now.

Mongoose does contain extract. I happen to think it's pretty tasty considering it is an extract sauce, and an ultra-hot one at that. I was told by Sue Hard that it's approximately 3 million SHU.

Scott Roberts said:
Mongoose does contain extract. I happen to think it's pretty tasty considering it is an extract sauce, and an ultra-hot one at that. I was told by Sue Hard that it's approximately 3 million SHU.

Oh ok, I couldn't see it in the ingredients list, perhaps that is what they mean when they say natural flavours?
Has anyone tried CaJohn's Talon? I haven't but it sounds good.

Oh ok, I couldn't see it in the ingredients list, perhaps that is what they mean when they say natural flavours?

I love Talon. It has a pretty potent punch to it. Leaves a nice lingering burn...definitely worth a try.

Yeah, sometimes they can sneak in extract under the guise of "natural flavoring" or "spices". :)

talon is a great sauce i also love fatalli fire.

I had Mongoose at Pepper's In Rehoboth. All I can say is taste it quickly because you only have about the blink of an eye to taste it before you can't taste anything. That stuff is HOT! Hotter than Black Mamba. I actually like Black Mamba for adding to bbq sauce or marinades for ribs.

I hate extract sauces in general. I can't stand the flavor. Some say only the "keytone extracted" ones taste metallic, but to me all of them taste pretty ass-y. I can deal with Defcon Zero because I think he does some kind of alcohol-and-boil-down process which is OK, but in general all of the Dave's and CaJohn extract sauces just scream I TASTE LIKE EXTRACT when I smell them, even.

That said, and as someone who has tried both Mongoose and Black Mamba, I'd say that Mongoose is the more edible of the two. Black Mamba was hot, but tasted like nothing but extract. Mongoose actually tastes decent and mixes with food better while still having insane extract-level heat.

My favorites of CaJohn's sauces are Scorch and Fatalii Fire. Mongoose is a ways down on the list, though at the top of the list of sauces that contain extract.

Back