• This is the place to discuss all spicy commerical products, not just sauce!

Blair's 2009 Halloween Reserve

My order is still queued.
Dyce, totally understandable on not paying the collector prices :) I eat about 90% of the hot sauce I buy, but I see the fun in collector bottles as well...

So I can stop worrying so much. I just figured they would have at least charged my debit card by now.

Do you think they took more orders than they could accomodate before closing the sale?

paulky_2000 said:
So I can stop worrying so much. I just figured they would have at least charged my debit card by now.

Do you think they took more orders than they could accomodate before closing the sale?

maybe your card isn't working - give me your number, let me order some stuff and i'll let you know. :)

paulky_2000 said:

No way to tell. My problem was I ordered multiple ones, when I only meant to order one. I changed my order to just one, otherwise The Wife Unit would cause me legendary pain. The lady on the phone said they would mail out in a couple of weeks.

paulky_2000 said:

Possibly? Any luck hearing from them?

paulky_2000 said:
Nope not yet...

I hate the suspense!

I don't mean to burst your bubble but don't be too keen on getting it. You might be getting your hopes up. I'd say they took too many orders.:oops:

I have been wondering something. Blair's collector bottles but what makes them actually worth some of the prices I have seen them go for? I guess Im trying to figure out whats to stop any other guy from using fancy bottles and adornments and sell them hand signed and numbered in limited quantities and achieve the same thing? I dunno if that makes any sense or not. I guess if you put it in a different light like, why would someone buy a bottle of hot sauce for hundreds of dollars? Maybe I dont understand it but I cant see buying a collector hot sauce (especially if I dont use it) for a large sum of money unless there are like some uber rare peppers that are hundreds of years old and maybe a fossil in it.

Seriously though im not trying to criticize or anything im just trying to understand it. Anyone who could explain this to me it would be appreciated. I mean the dudes got some awesome collector bottles I actually thought about doing something very similar but I just dont understand why some of these would go for hundreds of dollars.

There are a lot of things like this, paintings (where there are 200 prints for example), even signed and numbered books or posters. There is nothing about them that is valuable (for example a Blair's reserve probably has $20 worth of extract and maybe another $10 in wax and bottle costs), but they are valuable because they are unique. I've seen signed and numbered prints of various paintings go for thousands of dollars, but I could take a photo of the same painting and have it printed poster-sized for under $20... There really isn't anything that defines the value, the limited aspect makes them desirable, and the price is defined as what people are willing to pay. I think the second-hand market prices being sometimes 5-10x what the original cost was "validates" the price you pay, but honestly I know I'm not getting a $200 item :)

chillilover said:
I don't mean to burst your bubble but don't be too keen on getting it. You might be getting your hopes up. I'd say they took too many orders.:oops:

I hope you're wrong, but I did have my order in at the 7 hour 31 minute mark! ***crosses fingers!***

crazy8 said:
I have been wondering something. Blair's collector bottles but what makes them actually worth some of the prices I have seen them go for? I guess Im trying to figure out whats to stop any other guy from using fancy bottles and adornments and sell them hand signed and numbered in limited quantities and achieve the same thing? I dunno if that makes any sense or not. I guess if you put it in a different light like, why would someone buy a bottle of hot sauce for hundreds of dollars? Maybe I dont understand it but I cant see buying a collector hot sauce (especially if I dont use it) for a large sum of money unless there are like some uber rare peppers that are hundreds of years old and maybe a fossil in it.

Seriously though im not trying to criticize or anything im just trying to understand it. Anyone who could explain this to me it would be appreciated. I mean the dudes got some awesome collector bottles I actually thought about doing something very similar but I just dont understand why some of these would go for hundreds of dollars.

CZ8,

I tend to think of it like this:

Why is the Mona Lisa under bullet-proof glass? It's just paint on canvass....and relatively small to boot compared to some paintings.

Why are rare/old copper coins worth so much?

Why do people spend hundereds/thousands of dollars on beanie babies and baskets?

I'd say anything collectible is worth more than the sum of it's parts. I'll also add that NONE of them have any value beyond what some fool (like me!) is willing to spend.

Call me crazy....but I bet anyone would love to have my collection. You just have to be willing to pay for it. ;)

I kinda figured it would be something like that. I mean look at baseball cards, cars, etc. I do get it but thought it was still worth asking about and until this year I never heard of hot sauce collecting or "Blair's" even. Thanks for the reply :D

crazy8 said:
I kinda figured it would be something like that. I mean look at baseball cards, cars, etc. I do get it but thought it was still worth asking about and until this year I never heard of hot sauce collecting or "Blair's" even. Thanks for the reply :D

Welcome to the lunatic-fringe ;)

Speaking of baseball cards, I collected from the time I was about 4 until I was around 13-14 years old. I am waiting on the market to come back up (it's stabilized, but not climbing) and I'm going to sell. I'd say I have $3000 (a TON of money to a grade schooler) invested in them, and I expect to cash out for 25k or so... Right now I'd say I could make $10k as a lot or a little more if I piece it out.

I don't ever intend on "quitting" hot sauce collecting, but if I do maybe I'll have the same luck :)

Back