• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

BONSAI!

I want to sacrifice a first season plant to make into a Bonsai but i can't make up my mind as to which "trunk" looks the best. These are from a Barrackpore 7-pod, Bonda Ma Jacque, Naga and a Douglah 7-pod.
Which one do you think would look the best as a bonsai?

Knives005.jpg

Knives004.jpg

Knives003.jpg

Knives002.jpg

i'd go either #1, 2 or 3 :D do all of em as you'll prolly end up killing at least one anyways :P do chilli plants make for good bonsai?

I like 1, and 3 the best. #3 you could guide it to have that wind swept look. Look forward to see how ya get on mate :)

#4 for sure! Bonsai; what an idea...I love it!
#4 has the most possibilities IMO; I mean, look at all of the trunks. Under the shade of the spreading...Capsicum! Yes! Cheers!

#4 because it looks like dirty sex waist deep head first in the sand sex banned in some places bonsai. Apart from that yeah, go the sex way.

Yea, totally do all four. It'll increase your chance for success.

But if I had to pick just one, I would choose #1. Mostly because it has the most distinct trunk, and would probably be the simpliest to make a bonchi. The others have so many trunks/stems/side shoots, you might go crazy deciding which ones to keep and which to cut.

Good luck, and keep us posted on the progress/trails and errors. I'm planning on making a bonchi later this fall too.

I say 1 as well. I just like the look of a bit of trunk before the branches. But if all the plants will end up toast anyways, I would try all and see what looks best in the wee little pot.

jacob

Maybe I'm the only one, but I enjoy a big, producing plant better than a small crippled one. Humans do like to form anything to their liking...

And yes, at the same time, oriental aesthetics is wonderful.

Bence said:
Maybe I'm the only one, but I enjoy a big, producing plant better than a small crippled one. Humans do like to form anything to their liking...

One thing does not exclude the other.

Bence-

There may be an alternate motive for making a bonsai, other than fun or aesthetics.

In one of the links I posted, it details how to start the bonsai and also how to take 4-6" cuttings in the spring. Some cuttings root in as little as a few days or up to 2 weeks. And a week after taking the first cutting, the bonsai is ready for more cuttings.

Doing the math, in 2-4 weeks, you can have quite a few 6" cuttings growing. Considering some varieties take 4 weeks to even germinate and up to 10 weeks to get 6" tall, this could give a person a big jump on the season.

Back