• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Bring on spring!

Well, it's official

My car is covered in a light yellow glazing of pine pollen.

Let's see, the pine pollen is falling, it was 70 on Saturday, and tonight we're having a freeze...yup, it's officially spring all right.

you are in the throes of old man winter trying not to relinquish his hold on nature...just a matter of a few days and Ms. Spring will kick the old mans butt.

was 34F here this morning but supposed to be 66F today and then a steady warming trend...weatherman said he thinks this is the last "cold" day we will have....

GrumpyBear said:
It's supposed to snow tomorrow...

***looking out window at sky***

phew....I was just having a nightmare...

AlabamaJack said:
you are in the throes of old man winter trying not to relinquish his hold on nature...just a matter of a few days and Ms. Spring will kick the old mans butt.

was 34F here this morning but supposed to be 66F today and then a steady warming trend...weatherman said he thinks this is the last "cold" day we will have....

We had that late cold snap last year, though, so I'm a little leery of taking down the hoop house yet. I'm leaning hard towards not putting the peppers out until mid-April. I am going to till up the tomato patch, though.

Pam said:
We had that late cold snap last year, though, so I'm a little leery of taking down the hoop house yet. I'm leaning hard towards not putting the peppers out until mid-April. I am going to till up the tomato patch, though.

POTAWIE said:
Sun again today and above freezing:)

what zone are you two in?...I was in the ozone last night... :lol:

AlabamaJack said:
what zone are you two in?

I'm right on the cusp of 7B/8A. I'm not sure of my horticultural heat zone, though. My county is mostly 8, but there's a pool of 9 that's either very close to me, or includes me.

...I was in the ozone last night... :lol:

*groan*

I think I'm in zone 4b. In 2006 our last frost warning was June 8 or 9. I usually don't plant till almost July

Pam, you and I are in the same...I am in 7B...thought it was 7A until I looked closer...

Wow Potawie, I see why you have a greenhouse...you have a short outside growing season huh....

AlabamaJack said:
Pam, you and I are in the same...I am in 7B...thought it was 7A until I looked closer...

Wow Potawie, I see why you have a greenhouse...you have a short outside growing season huh....

The thing to remember about USDA growing zones is that it is based on the average annual minimum temperature. Actual first and last frost dates can vary widely in the same zone. I suspect your growing season is at least a few weeks, if not more, longer than mine, AJ.

may be Pam...since I am just a few miles from 7A....

AlabamaJack said:
may be Pam...since I am just a few miles from 7A....

The point is that the zone number doesn't necessarily reflect the actual number of frost free days. We usually have a lot of very warm, sunny weather around Christmas, which raises our average low temperature. That doesn't effect the fact that we often have a late frost or freeze in early April.

understand you loud and clear...

I'm looking at another 8" of snow starting tomorrow through Friday with nothing above mid 40's in the 10 day forecast. Last year on this date it was 73f here and it hit 81f on tomorrow's date. Smacks of a La Nina year, cold and wet.

Back