Calling all Cast Iron Chefs

My 15" skillet just kinda sits around. It's WAY too big for my stovetop, and I always forget to take it with me on camping trips. I suppose it'd be good for a paella or even a small griddle-type surface....but I've only used it 3 times in 15 years.

The 10" skillet, on the other hand, is a workhorse.

hey paulky, that skillet would be awesome when used with fish fillets, poaching stuff like chicken or fish or whatever, could even work as a pizza pan or a pie pan.

also braising stuff like pork =D

10" skillet- fried chicken on the grill
003.jpg

I borrowed a dutch oven from the neighbor to do a prime rib on the grill. The pan was all rusted when I got it. After the prime rib, it was seasoned beautifully. When I returned her pan, she wanted me to take her other rusted dutch oven and do another one! :lol
5e70052a.jpg

My 15" skillet just kinda sits around. It's WAY too big for my stovetop, and I always forget to take it with me on camping trips. I suppose it'd be good for a paella or even a small griddle-type surface....but I've only used it 3 times in 15 years.

The 10" skillet, on the other hand, is a workhorse.

For me it's the other way around, I have a 10 inch I rarely use. It's simply to small for I normally need to do. While I have a 14 inch(Sadly not 15) that gets used a lot.

How do you season a CI pan?
I got one as a gift and dont use it much because most things stick, must be because it's not seasoned. :doh:

I use CI to cook with more than anything else. Usually about once a year I season all my CI. I preheat the oven at 450 and put the CI in. About 10 minutes later I take it out and let cool just enough to where you can put hands on the handle without oven mitt. Next put Crisco on a paper towel and rub a thin layer on the whole inside of pan. Put back in oven at 450 and cook for 30-45 minutes. Check it a couple times to make sure no oil has pooled up and if it has carefully wipe it with a clean rag. That's all I do. I cook enough bacon in mine it stays perfect. :)

After many years of using Teflon coated pans/skillets,,,and watching the Teflon disappear. I bought a Lodge 6" skillet. I fell in love with CI, I use my 6 " at least 5 times a week.

Since it become known in my family that I love to cook on CI, I received my wife's Grand Mother's and Great Aunt's Cast one cookware when they passed on. All of it is Lodge Cast Iron, 40+ years old.

I know have 7 well seasoned cast iron skillets.:)

When my mother passes on I will get her collection of cast iron cook ware, she has one from my Great Grandmother who got it from her Grand Mother, 100+ years old. All is in well seasoned condition also.

My wife does not like to cook on cast iron..does not have the patience to let the cast iron heat up.

After many years of using Teflon coated pans/skillets,,,and watching the Teflon disappear. I bought a Lodge 6" skillet. I fell in love with CI, I use my 6 " at least 5 times a week.

Since it become known in my family that I love to cook on CI, I received my wife's Grand Mother's and Great Aunt's Cast one cookware when they passed on. All of it is Lodge Cast Iron, 40+ years old.

I know have 7 well seasoned cast iron skillets.:)

When my mother passes on I will get her collection of cast iron cook ware, she has one from my Great Grandmother who got it from her Grand Mother, 100+ years old. All is in well seasoned condition also.

My wife does not like to cook on cast iron..does not have the patience to let the cast iron heat up.
What a great story. I cook in nothing but cast iron every day. I have 2 twelves, a dutch, a 6 inch, and a comal. I love'em loooooong time. Use'em every day. Nuthin' I can't do in 'em......even veggies! (runs...)

Ditto. (except for the veggie part). Actually, I am going to be cooking veggies in mine soon. Poppers ya know.

On a side note, tonight I broke away from the cast iron. I got out my maw-maws old-old, Club cast aluminum dutch oven(lid-less). I made a damn fine Chicken n' Dumplins on the stove and it really got the job done with no sticking at all. Maw-maw pretty much only used cast iron, but this cast aluminum weapon was also in her regular arsenal. I now have all of her cookware. Old cast cookware not only IMO outperforms any of the non-stick pots and pans of today, they also tell a story.

Aluminum has been linked to alzhiemers. Teflon heated over 500 can be toxic. CI doesn't have those probs...and better for you.

Aluminum has been linked to alzhiemers. Teflon heated over 500 can be toxic. CI doesn't have those probs...and better for you.

I don't want to get into a whole pissing match about cast aluminum cookware and alzheimers but I feel more than safe using it. There is not a direct link in the cookware and people with the disease. Aluminum is in a lot of the foods we eat, its in water, it's in the rain that soaks into your garden etc. Studies have found that people with Alzheimers have more build up of Aluminum in their brains but don't know if the build up occurred after they got the disease. No one in my country ass family has ever gotten Alzheimers and they have been using Aluminum pots, pressure cookers, mess kits, camp cookware, etc. their whole lives. And most have grown pretty damn old.

That being said, Cast Iron is still my favorite other than my old lead pots! ;)

has anyone grinded off those STUPID teardrops on their 12" lid for the big chilli bowl/chicken fryer. cleaning that just bug's the heck out of me with those teardrops.
I'm so close to doing this vs ordering some other lid.

chilehunter, can you post a picture of what you're talking about?

I have CI lids that have "ribs" on them...don't know how else to describe them.....

brb with a picture---

OK here's the picture-
ef8248a1.jpg

If you are talking about what I think you are talking about, I think they are for "self-basting" the meats as they are roasting in the pan. The juices steam up around the lid, condensate and then drip back down on the meats via the spikes (like what I think you have) or the ribs like what I have.

Still a pain to clean, but they do serve a purpose.

SL - yours would be simple to clean.
heres a pic of my lid, this thing is a B! to clean cuz those teardrops rip up any cleaning pad & you have to clean up/down/sideways each row. I've had enough with those stupid things & ready to take my grinder to them! I dont care about any fricking basting feature..its more annoying & a hassel to have them.
BTW dont know why they call it a 10 when the lid is 12"

100_7654.jpg

CH, that's what I thought you were talking about.

Only suggestion I can think of is to watch the 2nd hand thrift stores for a lid of the same size that doesn't have the spikes.

and for the 10....maybe it's "style" 10, or "batch" 10.....maybe they thought it was the most beautiful BoDerrickelicious pot ever! :rofl:

just did a quick eBay search and there are CI lids for sale ~$30...some self-basting, some not...

This thread inspired me to look for some CI pots here, I found a Lodge 12" dutch pot for only $180 (US)
I am seriously thinking of visiting the USA for my next holiday, do some serious shopping and have it shipped home.

CH You might be able to find a heavy glass lid to fit on top or one from another pan - I will use a lid from another pan if I need to cover my CI skillet.

This thread inspired me to look for some CI pots here, I found a Lodge 12" dutch pot for only $180 (US)
I am seriously thinking of visiting the USA for my next holiday, do some serious shopping and have it shipped home.

damn :eek: thats alot for a dutch pot, I think I paid around $40 for mine (its been awhile so I dont remember the exact price) I'm surprised there isnt any european maker there that makes CI.

CH You might be able to find a heavy glass lid to fit on top or one from another pan - I will use a lid from another pan if I need to cover my CI skillet.

I'll be looking for some kind of lid for it, not CI since I only use the lid when frying, but maybe still grind those teardrops off at a later date...those splatter screens are worthless.

Back