Calling all Cast Iron Chefs

The wife and I love our CI, she loves to collect them. I have 2 favorites, one is a 10 in with a bass jumping out of the water with lillypads that i heat and scorch the design in corn bread, and the other is a 12 in Griswold, that is the ship as far as Ci goes, cooks even as can be but is light, 1/3 of the lodges in the same size. I guess its just a superior Iron. The cheap Chinese ones are a very rough texture compared to this. I also love to use my dads old Hibachi, its just like a Lodge but is an Alabama foundries, not sure how old it is. Best thing to season them is lard or fry some bacon, the vegie oil makes them sticky compared to rendered animal fat.

Since I didn't use a hibachi, I figured I would show my cast iron love here. Ribeyes marinated in olive oil, rice wine vinegar, worcestershire, garlic, chives, basil, oregano, cilantro, sea salt, cracked black, AJ's naga morich puree and Heartbreaking Dawn's Cauterizer for heat.

100_0038-1.jpg

100_0039-1.jpg

100_0042-1.jpg

100_0044-1.jpg

100_0045-1.jpg

I like mine just waved over the grill/ pan. But I'd hit that! That looks awesome! I bet the flavor is right on.
The only cast iron I have is a fajita pan. When we got married (20 years ago), we bought a whole set of Calphalon anodized aluminum.
Similar to cast iron in the way that it turns "non stick" better with time.... I love it.
I've always wanted that one "Black Betty" like TB's, but never took the time to get one.
Just remembered, we have a Le Creuset enamel cast iron dutch oven, does that count? prolly not... :think:

I like mine just waved over the grill/ pan. But I'd hit that! That looks awesome! I bet the flavor is right on.
The only cast iron I have is a fajita pan. When we got married (20 years ago), we bought a whole set of Calphalon anodized aluminum.
Similar to cast iron in the way that it turns "non stick" better with time.... I love it.
I've always wanted that one "Black Betty" like TB's, but never took the time to get one.
Just remembered, we have a Le Creuset enamel cast iron dutch oven, does that count? prolly not... :think:

Enamel counts compadre. Black Betty only gets the edge for when cooking over charcoal or wood as the soot don't matter on clean up. Gotta' keep that enamel looking pretty dontcha' know.

Cooked to perfection JT...well I would go a cinch more rare on mine but they look delicious dude! Nice job. I'm going to have to look into these pans. My buddy that lives on a horse farm with his dad told me when we were teenagers..."these pans are the best, you don't ever clean them and they give everything you cook in them tons of flavor" At the time I thought, how disgusting, do you really never clean the pan...maybe someone can fill me in as to how these pans are truly used? I've read this whole thread and kinda get the gist of it but still only half way informed. Thanks :hell:

It's not that you don't clean them, you do. What you don't do is take harsh cleansers, steel wool, etc. to them as it ruins any seasoning you put on the pan. Generally I just wipe them out with a paper towel. At worst I will put in a little water and bring to a slow simmer and gently loosen up any crud that wants to stick with a soft bristled kitchen brush. Never use soap. Rinse then dry immediately and then wipe on a little oil. A good seasoned pan needs nothing else. Had a pal in Alaska that had a 12" frying pan that was so well seasoned the bottom looked like a black mirror.

True story.

We need to do a cast iron TD. Screw The Iron Chef, we will have The Cast Iron Chef.

We need to do a cast iron TD. Screw The Iron Chef, we will have The Cast Iron Chef.

I like where this thread is going....I was told my Madre has an old one under the house....time to put on the headlight and go crawling for some buried treasure. Feb. TD already decided Boss?

You know we've mentioned it before TB and it gets poo pooed because we did the DO. But they are different! So yeah... FEB!

Practice here.

(Where's PF he has a classic thread going!) :lol:

I think some also poo pooed it because they didn't want to go out and buy iron as well. Everybody knows somebody that has CI. Borrow it! I also think more would come to the party if enamel was used as well. Whatever. Black Betty rules!!

Cast iron rocks.....I use it for blackening Steaks, burgers, chicken.

I'll remove the cooking grates from my gas grill and set the cast iron pan right on the flavor grids. With all 3 burners on high for about 15 min. the pan is gleeming white and when the steaks hit it they're screaming. Charred on the outside "black and blue" in the center.
Oh, and a 1 1/2" thick piece of blackened Yellowfin Tuna, ....whoa,...with wasabi and pickled ginger on the side...

Tonite, Maui fish fajitas with tri-color bells and sweet onion, flour tortillas....
No none stick skillet tonite........cast iron my man...

Greg

I was down in South Pittsburgh, Tennessee the other day and stopped into the Lodge factory outlet. They have a "blemish" room with lots of 50% off discounts. I picked up a nice sauce pot and a 14 inch wok which is seriously badass.

http://www.amazon.com/Lodge-Logic-Cast-Iron-Black/dp/B00063RXQK

Broke out the CI a few times this week, roasted chicken and veg
3e97574b.jpg

Tonight's Cajun Pork Loin
2e61dcfd.jpg

119cc41e.jpg

Dont forget the beans, rice, and Pineapple Mango Jalapeno Salsa
02d78397.jpg

Wife thought it was a bit "spicy" (7 months pregnant and cant handle much heat). I told her I am sorry, but I am conditioning my unborn son. She wasnt thrilled...

I'm in... FULL ON! I just bought my FIRST CI. I guess I'm a CI virgin. But I know what I want it for, and what it's good for, (me).
I'm 'bout readay tah rip dah speakers apart in dis joint!............

17 inches across...

3 inches deep.....

I present to you.....

THE HEARSE.....

2a5004de.jpg

Bill shown for size.... NOT cost... LOL

AWWWWWW!!!! Su-WEEEET! and it comes with the butter melter thingy also!

NICE CI, dude!

(now seriously, when has anyone ever thought they'd be glad to hear .... "nice metal, dude," and it was talking about cookware?!?!!!!

:lol:

Well, I guess I know what you have been doing the last 20 minutes. Foundling CI and posting tantalizing pictures. NOW PUT SOME FOOD IN IT!

Back