• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Candied peppers

http://www.fiery-foods.com/dave/candied_peppers.asp

Anyone every had a candied pepper? I'm not entirely sure I've ever even had candied fruit. Apparently it takes about a week to make. Dunno, could be interesting to try if you have more peppers than you know what to do with. Sounds like it preserves them for several months.

I so want to make a candied naga and own a friend. ;)

I went ahead and made some candied jalapenos & 1 habanero & a couple dried pequins. I didn't go with the 7 day method, I used the normal candied fruit method. I made candied orange peel to begin with for practice (turned out AWESOME) and just subbed the peppers for the orange peel using the same recipe found here Candied Orange Peel - The Food Network

Everything turned out great. I'm keeping some that are chewy and leaving them in the fridge, and I'm trying to dry some of them out in the oven with a fan blowing on them also. The jalapenos don't really have any noticeable heat, but an interesting flavor. They kinda turned olive-ish see through too. The habanero looks like gorgeous clear orange candy. It retained its color beautifully.

If you look, I saved the syrup leftover from both things, so I have orange syrup for sweetening tea & hot syrup for making some hot habanero cookies w/ candied habs.

Whole process took approximately 2 and a half hours

Edit:
Posting recipe for posterity
6 thick-skinned Valencia or navel oranges
4 1/2 cups sugar, plus extra for rolling
1 1/2 cups water
Directions
Cut tops and bottoms off of the orange and score the orange into quarters, cutting down only into the peel and not into the fruit. Peel the skin and pith of the orange in large pieces, use the orange for another recipe. Cut the peel into strips about 1/4-inch wide. Put the orange peel in a large saucepan with cold water to cover, bring to a boil over high heat. Then pour off the water. Repeat 1 or 2 more times depending up how assertive you want the orange peels to be. (Test kitchen liked the texture of a 3 time blanch best, it also mellowed the bitterness. But it is a matter of preference.) Remove the orange peels from the pan.
Whisk the sugar with 1 1/2 cups water. Bring to a simmer and cook for 8 to 9 minutes (If you took the sugar's temperature with a candy thermometer it would be at the soft thread stage, 230 to 234 degrees F.) Add the peels and simmer gently, reducing heat to retain a simmer. Cook until the peels get translucent, about 45 minutes. Resist the urge to stir the peels or you may introduce sugar crystals into the syrup. If necessary, swirl the pan to move the peels around. Drain the peels, (save the syrup for ice tea.) Roll the peels in sugar and dry on a rack, for 4 to 5 hours. Return to the sugar to store.
Cook's Note: One way to use orange peels is to stuff a dried date with a piece of orange peel and almond, then dip the entire thing into dark chocolate.
Read more at: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/.../candied-orange-recipe/index.html?oc=linkback

looks very interesting, I might try this method when I get some chiles this summer. those pics on that site look really tasty.

Ok I just had to try this. I followed the recipe except that I doubled it since I ended up with a 2qt jar. I filled the jar about 1/2 full of the following peppers, so about a quart of peppers that had been de-seeded and sliced.

Hanoi Red
Thai Dragon
Numex m
Jalapeno
Hawaiian Sweet Hot
Santa Fe Grande
Chocolate Habs
Bhut Jolokia (just 1)

So for the next week it looks like I add a bit of sugar after reheating the syrup and then re-bottle. Rinse and repeat.

Here are some pics of today's efforts :)

P_Schneider said:
Ok I just had to try this. I followed the recipe except that I doubled it since I ended up with a 2qt jar. I filled the jar about 1/2 full of the following peppers, so about a quart of peppers that had been de-seeded and sliced.

Hanoi Red
Thai Dragon
Numex m
Jalapeno
Hawaiian Sweet Hot
Santa Fe Grande
Chocolate Habs
Bhut Jolokia (just 1)

So for the next week it looks like I add a bit of sugar after reheating the syrup and then re-bottle. Rinse and repeat.

Here are some pics of today's efforts :)

Ok I got to try this. I got a few Naga sitting around.
Paul did you use any spices or just pure sugar?
I was thinking adding some cinnamon stick or something.
Maybe lime or orange peel or raspberry... damn it why can I keep things simple...

Decided to make a small batch of these tonight:

3076647184_f9f52f120a.jpg

3075816029_b1c210170f_b.jpg

this time i cooked it past syrup stage into hard candy stage. So i dropped some of the liquid on some parchment paper for hot sugar drops. Pretty damn hot actually but tastes like chinense & sugar lol. I'll have to make more if not just for this byproduct. Next time I'll make suckers with toothpicks as handles.

3076649046_414603b4c0_b.jpg

I shouldn't have stirred the liquid cause it crystallized and you can see how it looked afterwards. The clear drops are like hard candy.

Wow Nice! Those look great!

I am helping my fiance's grandma make tamales on December 13th, and will place close eye to her award-winning mole (a closely guarded secret that my mother-in-law always seems to view but never carefully takes note of...no joke...she has won at least half a dozen awards with)...apparently she gets her chiles dried from New Mexico from a cousin which is my first tip-off...

Tried some from a batch she made for her church and they are simply phenomenal! Spicy, full of pork, and downright delicious! I will master this recipe and adapt it for my own cooking...normally they use turkey because it is healthier...

Failure in this mission is not an option...

always remember that...

Spice is the variety of life ;)

Today I started to candy a batch of peppers. I used red habs, red and green pepperoni, green jalapenos and orange habs and I followed the Zoschke recipe. I will show pictures of the progress.

Back