• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

CaneDog 2020

2020 is underway, so it's time to start the new season's glog!  Odd times though, as I'm still harvesting stragglers from last season while the earliest of my 2020 starts are already up.  Grow areas are a bit disorganized as a result  :rolleyes:

This season's grow should be a little more balanced than last season, though I'll still have a ridiculous number of rocotos - many OW's plus a bunch of new varieties - and quite a few carry-over OW wilds, too.

A big "thanks" to all who shared seeds with me for this season.  I'm appreciative and excited to have lots of cool varieties in the mix, many of which I got to watch you grow last season and can now try myself.  I think I'm current with everyone, but if by any chance you were expecting seeds from me that may have slipped through the cracks just shoot me a PM.

As I mentioned, things aren't super organized right now, but here's a few pics anyway.

I planted a few seeds early, just because I couldn't hold off the extra few weeks without planting something.

Amarillo de Arequipa Rocoto just popped- Thanks CTB!
20200102 Amarillo de Arequipa.jpg

Ecuador Sweet Rocoto twins - and a big shout out to the two peeps who sent me seeds for these. Both sources germinated and I'm really happy to have them growing.  Disclaimer: they may look overly wet, but these just got sprayed (to avoid HH's) and it's a very porous medium.
20200103 ESRs.jpg

Put another few rocotos in to soak today.
20200104 R3S.jpg

This is a galapagoense that popped a few days back, exactly 100 days after sowing.
20200103 Galap100#2.jpg

And this pod contains Jalapeno Zapotec x Purple Jalapeno F1, one of a couple F1 JZ crosses I'll be growing out this season. The other is Tekne Dolmasi x JZ.
20200101 JZ x PJ #1.jpg

Finally, I got a solid recommendation on a new media mix I'll be trying out this season in a few variations. The mix is heavy in partially composted bark fines, a fir/hemlock mix as pine's hard to get locally. It's proving to be a veritable mycelium factory.  Bodes well for good symbiosis with the appropriate fungal species this year.
20200101 Fungi#1.jpg

20200103 Froot2.jpg

Heck, they're even fruiting out the drainage holes...  :)
20200101 Fungi#2.jpg

That's it for now.  Good luck to all in 2020!
CD

Uncle_Eccoli said:
Mutant Candlelight? 

The_NorthEast_ChileMan said:

That's the one!  Some great shots of it in that thread, NECM.  My seeds came from CTB's seeds from his last year's grow.  I believe these are mine's siblings, here - http://thehotpepper.com/topic/73188-catchthebear-2020/?p=1672703

Bookers said:
That's awesome Cane. I found out the plants I had labeled rocoto were Aji Gold from Bhuter last year. This week for us temperature wise will be 50s and maybe 60 degrees. A few weeks ago my wife got me a mini 5foot 4 tier green house. I'm guessing I'll still have to wait until after frost to use it outside at night anyway...Last few days 28 degrees no way to heat... cheers hap

That's great about the greenhouse, bookers.  What a cool present!  Warmer weather can't be too far away and that should really help with your transition to outside.

I don't remember Bhuter's Aji Gold.  Is it the same as WHP's Aji Golden or what's it like?

CaneDog said:

I probably shouldn't ever start that early, given the maintenance challenges of too many plants at different stages.  Just nice to have something new growing.  Yeah, that 100 days was a heck of an outlier.  I'd just sort of set it aside and forgot about it except to spray it every once in a while.  Got lucky.

That's cool.  You can always like to hate me.  It's all good.  :)

That not liking was to the Dallas comment lol....Not sure who said it now.  Also, thanks for the Rocoto seeds.  I was expecting them to take as long as my manzano took and the surprised me.  Popped up with terrific germ rate.

HillBilly Jeff said:
That not liking was to the Dallas comment lol....Not sure who said it now.  Also, thanks for the Rocoto seeds.  I was expecting them to take as long as my manzano took and the surprised me.  Popped up with terrific germ rate.

Glad to hear they're up and going for you.  Hope to see pics of awesome plants and pods later this season!

Oh yeah, I got the joke.  I'm always good with a little friendly football rivalry.

Your Cowboys have done some very unfriendly things to the Seahawks in recent years, though  :mad:

:)

CaneDog said:
Hmm..  That looks like an Aji Oro rocoto/pubescens to me.  And black seeds would support that, too.
There's 2 Aji Oro and I'll raise ya, 1 Cilantro. The cilantro has added a few stems but nothing to write home about. At a dollar a bunch... I'll take it. Like I said before...I think just sow the whole pack instead of a couple.

A few rocotos popped up, as there were more than 1 seed per cup. They just took their time lol... nothing on the new cups...
c0fc74630bf025efa24f1b0d79be3bfe.jpg
bb7adcf1675bc029b12c8c4486315c59.jpg

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Been a very busy week, but I'll squeeze in a few quick pictures.

First, welcome new additions in the form of Mildfruit's Peruvian Giallo Arancio - sprouted quickly and strong! - and Wiri Wiri's Tolito  - made me wait a bit ;) but worth it!  The pics are a couple days old and all 2 Giallo and 3 Tolito are up and open now.
20200304 GialloMF.jpg

And here's a bunch of the 2nd round OW rocotos (the ones that have been tented inside rather than on the deck) enjoying a surprisingly sunny Wednesday afternoon, as they harden off.  
20200304 OWRocotos1.jpg

A few more Round II OW Rocoto's, with a Round I OW Purple Flexuosum behind them.  Hoping this PFlex gets BIG this season.
20200304 OWRocotos2.jpg

How’s everything going in the PNW, with that Coronavirus going around? Hope you are doing good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PtMD989 said:
How’s everything going in the PNW, with that Coronavirus going around? Hope you are doing good.

Thanks man!  Things are good, but the conronavirus is kinda a mess.  I'm in the most affected county and the "epicenter" life care center where everyone's dying is about 6 miles north of me, so it feels pretty real around here.  Went out for beers the other night and saw people bumping elbows versus shaking hands or dapping up; mostly in good humor, but people are thinking about it.  Not too concerned for myself, but I feel for the older folks and others more at-risk. With all the people coming down with it around here you get the feeling it could be lurking just about anywhere.  I assume it will abate when flu season ends, which is about 5-7 weeks away, but haven't heard much discussion around that.

PtMD989 said:
That Zapo x Purple cross looks good and sounds interesting [emoji106][emoji16].

I hope it turns out to be!  I wasn't sure I was going to get it because the seeds looked awful, but they popped like champs!

lespaulde said:
It looks awesome indeed! Are you gonna nip the buds or let it run its course?

Good luck with Corona around you, a bit of extra inter-personal hygiene should be sufficient to stay safe

Thanks, LP.

I'll take early production over lots of it on these, so I'll probably just let it run it's course.  I have a second one at the same maturity level.  Maybe I'll let one run it's course and try out Paul's alternating pinch method on the other. 

CaneDog said:
Been a very busy week, but I'll squeeze in a few quick pictures.

First, welcome new additions in the form of Mildfruit's Peruvian Giallo Arancio - sprouted quickly and strong! - and Wiri Wiri's Tolito  - made me wait a bit ;) but worth it!  The pics are a couple days old and all 2 Giallo and 3 Tolito are up and open now.
attachicon.gif
20200304 GialloMF.jpg

Im glad they sprouted so fast! Looking forward to see how it turns out for you! 

I think I have to mail out a lot more seeds, its exciting to watch how they turn out with different growing techniques  :P

Back