• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

CaneDog 2020

2020 is underway, so it's time to start the new season's glog!  Odd times though, as I'm still harvesting stragglers from last season while the earliest of my 2020 starts are already up.  Grow areas are a bit disorganized as a result  :rolleyes:

This season's grow should be a little more balanced than last season, though I'll still have a ridiculous number of rocotos - many OW's plus a bunch of new varieties - and quite a few carry-over OW wilds, too.

A big "thanks" to all who shared seeds with me for this season.  I'm appreciative and excited to have lots of cool varieties in the mix, many of which I got to watch you grow last season and can now try myself.  I think I'm current with everyone, but if by any chance you were expecting seeds from me that may have slipped through the cracks just shoot me a PM.

As I mentioned, things aren't super organized right now, but here's a few pics anyway.

I planted a few seeds early, just because I couldn't hold off the extra few weeks without planting something.

Amarillo de Arequipa Rocoto just popped- Thanks CTB!
20200102 Amarillo de Arequipa.jpg

Ecuador Sweet Rocoto twins - and a big shout out to the two peeps who sent me seeds for these. Both sources germinated and I'm really happy to have them growing.  Disclaimer: they may look overly wet, but these just got sprayed (to avoid HH's) and it's a very porous medium.
20200103 ESRs.jpg

Put another few rocotos in to soak today.
20200104 R3S.jpg

This is a galapagoense that popped a few days back, exactly 100 days after sowing.
20200103 Galap100#2.jpg

And this pod contains Jalapeno Zapotec x Purple Jalapeno F1, one of a couple F1 JZ crosses I'll be growing out this season. The other is Tekne Dolmasi x JZ.
20200101 JZ x PJ #1.jpg

Finally, I got a solid recommendation on a new media mix I'll be trying out this season in a few variations. The mix is heavy in partially composted bark fines, a fir/hemlock mix as pine's hard to get locally. It's proving to be a veritable mycelium factory.  Bodes well for good symbiosis with the appropriate fungal species this year.
20200101 Fungi#1.jpg

20200103 Froot2.jpg

Heck, they're even fruiting out the drainage holes...  :)
20200101 Fungi#2.jpg

That's it for now.  Good luck to all in 2020!
CD

Essegi said:
Super plants and cool photos!
Candlelight Mutant is indeed one of a kind!

Thanks, Essegi.  I was very happy to get seeds for it. 

Devv said:
I'm looking forward to seeing how the variegated Jalapeno turns out. It's a cool looking plant, hopefully a good producer ;)

I hope so too, but if it doesn't it's going to get crossed with a jalapeno that does!

simp3204 said:
All caught up and the plants are looking great!  The variegated variety is super cool and that Mutant Candlelight is crazy.  How did you have your 5 gallon bucket set up that you have those couple peppers in?

Hey Simp!  I'm liking those too.  Got them from CatchTheBear along with a few other cool ones I'm growing this season, but these really stand out.

For the 5g's, I drilled copious 1/4 holes on the bottom and a single row of approximately 1.25" spaced holes around the side ~2" up from the bottom.  Slightly amended potting soil plus additional perlite.  I used a higher addition of perlite for the bottom 2/3 and a lighter addition for the upper 1/3 of the container.  I didn't add a ton of perlite in either case (there was already some in the base mix) and the reason I took a  2-layer approach was only because I had to mix it in 2 batches each anyway due to mixing container size.  I wanted a little better wet retention up top and better breathability and compaction resistance down below.  Not sure how much difference it will make, but I figured what the heck.

The containers look like this - It's all top-watering for now, but I'll bottom water some too in a couple months when it's hotter and the roots are well-established into the depth of the containers:
20200421 5gBottom.jpg

20200421 5gSide.jpg

Things were crazy outside this afternoon.  Rain then sun then suddenly huge wind gusts came blasting directly onto my back deck from the SSW. They were hitting the back of the house and swirling every which way leaving no place to shelter the plants. It turned into a mad scramble to get things inside before there was damage. Things look OK though.  Good thing I was home.

A few update pics of indoor stuff.

Aji Limo. I really like the look of these.
2020-04-24 AjiLimo850.jpg

Variegated Jalap continues to look cool, but the second set of leaves isn't as variegated as the first.
2020-04-24 Vjalap.jpg

This light (seed color) cumari from Leo was up-potted from a Dixie to a 3" Round about a week back and is looking good.
2020-04-24 LeoLiteCumari.jpg

And a dark (seed color) cumari from Leo has recently sprouted - so, apparently light seeds breed dark foliage and dark seed breed light foliage   :think:
2020-04-24 LeoDarkCumari.jpg

CaneDog said:
Things were crazy outside this afternoon.  Rain then sun then suddenly huge wind gusts came blasting directly onto my back deck from the SSW. They were hitting the back of the house and swirling every which way leaving no place to shelter the plants. It turned into a mad scramble to get things inside before there was damage. Things look OK though.  Good thing I was home.

A few update pics of indoor stuff.

Aji Limo. I really like the look of these.

Variegated Jalap continues to look cool, but the second set of leaves isn't as variegated as the first.

This light (seed color) cumari from Leo was up-potted from a Dixie to a 3" Round about a week back and is looking good.

And a dark (seed color) cumari from Leo has recently sprouted - so, apparently light seeds breed dark foliage and dark seed breed light foliage   :think:

Phew, sounds like that could have turned out much worse than it did luckily. I agree, that Variegated jalapeño sure is a looker, exited to see how it grows. Does the variegation affect fruit like fish pepper?  

I’ve been taking my plants outside, usually ends up taking them on a field trip around the house , cause of the wind [emoji1787]. I didn’t realize it was this breezy all the time ( things you learn while laid off for 2 weeks)[emoji16]. I call it toughening them up for the real world [emoji16].

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mildfruit said:
Phew, sounds like that could have turned out much worse than it did luckily. I agree, that Variegated jalapeño sure is a looker, exited to see how it grows. Does the variegation affect fruit like fish pepper?  

Apparently it does.  I'm sure I'll be playing with these genetics to see what interesting things might be possible.

I got the seeds from CTB and here are some of his pics showing the fruits.

http://thehotpepper.com/topic/71476-catchthebear-2019/?p=1643837

This post has a link to many pictures.
http://thehotpepper.com/topic/72929-paulg-2020/?p=1661059

Ghost Pepper Revolution said:
Looking good and it’d be really kool if those variegated Jalaps had white then green alternating each set of nodes (like they are currently)  :party:

No kidding. Going to be cool to see what they do.  I doubt I'll cull any of these because they're apparently not fully stable (given the full-green recessive version) and I want to increase my chances for the best version(s).  I'll probably let only one get to size, though.

PtMD989 said:
I’ve been taking my plants outside, usually ends up taking them on a field trip around the house , cause of the wind. I didn’t realize it was this breezy all the time ( things you learn while laid off for 2 weeks)[emoji16]. I call it toughening them up for the real world [emoji16].

Ha. I just have way too many plants to be moving them multiple times a day.  This keeps up much longer and they're going to get a crash course on the real world and let the chips fall where they may.  Haskorea and others in its annuum group are slated to start getting day trips outside as soon as these winds blow over - or actually stop blowing over!

dragonsfire said:
Yesterday we had high winds too, was expecting it, a few days back the sun had a blast that grazed the Earth and messes up the weather for a bit.

Yeah, I didn't see the winds on the forecast and now I see a few days of them.  Hopefully they won't be a bad today because it's been a struggle hardening off these guys and they need the sun.

Any luck with your pumpkin hab's yet? I have two of yours growing and they haven't required any hardening off.  The bright sun (Seattle bright sun, anyway) doesn't seem to phase them and they had no problem with the winds.

CaneDog said:

Ha. I just have way too many plants to be moving them multiple times a day.  This keeps up much longer and they're going to get a crash course on the real world and let the chips fall where they may.  Haskorea and others in its annuum group are slated to start getting day trips outside as soon as these winds blow over - or actually stop blowing over.
I hear that, my friend. Rocotos getting planted out
as we speak, baccatums next. Wilds seem to be
hardening off pretty good on the fence shelf.

Going to start bringing some chinenses out a little
bit. Looking at the long range forecast, the predictions
look pretty good. i've said that before. At least I don't
see a June Suck in the cards, yet.

Good luck getting your stuff hardened off, and your
junk hard! OK, I've been cooped up too long  :oops:

dragonsfire said:
Nope  :tear: dont know WTF is going on, not a one.

Bummer about the Pumpkin Hab's - hope there's still a chance.  Wish I'd know the Aurora B was potentially visible this far south so I could have taken a look for it.  :(

“It’s almost as if it’s a chaser after a stiff drink” – ha!  Gotta love how she personalizes her analogies ;)

PaulG said:
Sorry to butt in, CD.  REPORTED!    ;)  Very interesting site, Neil.

I thought that was cool too.

I always enjoy seeing DF's astrophotography posts.

Back