• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

CaneDog 2020

2020 is underway, so it's time to start the new season's glog!  Odd times though, as I'm still harvesting stragglers from last season while the earliest of my 2020 starts are already up.  Grow areas are a bit disorganized as a result  :rolleyes:

This season's grow should be a little more balanced than last season, though I'll still have a ridiculous number of rocotos - many OW's plus a bunch of new varieties - and quite a few carry-over OW wilds, too.

A big "thanks" to all who shared seeds with me for this season.  I'm appreciative and excited to have lots of cool varieties in the mix, many of which I got to watch you grow last season and can now try myself.  I think I'm current with everyone, but if by any chance you were expecting seeds from me that may have slipped through the cracks just shoot me a PM.

As I mentioned, things aren't super organized right now, but here's a few pics anyway.

I planted a few seeds early, just because I couldn't hold off the extra few weeks without planting something.

Amarillo de Arequipa Rocoto just popped- Thanks CTB!
20200102 Amarillo de Arequipa.jpg

Ecuador Sweet Rocoto twins - and a big shout out to the two peeps who sent me seeds for these. Both sources germinated and I'm really happy to have them growing.  Disclaimer: they may look overly wet, but these just got sprayed (to avoid HH's) and it's a very porous medium.
20200103 ESRs.jpg

Put another few rocotos in to soak today.
20200104 R3S.jpg

This is a galapagoense that popped a few days back, exactly 100 days after sowing.
20200103 Galap100#2.jpg

And this pod contains Jalapeno Zapotec x Purple Jalapeno F1, one of a couple F1 JZ crosses I'll be growing out this season. The other is Tekne Dolmasi x JZ.
20200101 JZ x PJ #1.jpg

Finally, I got a solid recommendation on a new media mix I'll be trying out this season in a few variations. The mix is heavy in partially composted bark fines, a fir/hemlock mix as pine's hard to get locally. It's proving to be a veritable mycelium factory.  Bodes well for good symbiosis with the appropriate fungal species this year.
20200101 Fungi#1.jpg

20200103 Froot2.jpg

Heck, they're even fruiting out the drainage holes...  :)
20200101 Fungi#2.jpg

That's it for now.  Good luck to all in 2020!
CD

I don't think my Rayado's are quite that lanky but the stems are pretty small.  I've been running the ceiling fan right above them but it hasn't helped.  Im gonna have to bring my oscillating fan to this room.  Maybe that will help.  
I like the straw support!

Took a few randoms this evening.

PC-1 Annuum pod.  Most are pretty normal/straight pods, but not this one.
20200625 PC-1.jpg

Orange Spice Jalapeno.  I made poppers with a few of these last week.  Good taste, but low heat so far from the early pods. 
20200625 OrangeSpice.jpg

Spaz Thai was taking forever to ripen, but as soon as the heat increased recently they started coloring up quickly.
20200625 SpazThai.jpg

And they're getting ready for a bigger round 2
20200625 SpazThai2.jpg

And the little rhomboideum is trying to get its grow on.  This guy was a de facto cull, but then I decided to try to recover it.  It started doing better after repotting and now with the warmer weather it looks like it should fully recover.
20200625 Rhombiodeum.jpg

Nice pics CD. Plants look great.

Funny, I have to grow the PC-1 every year because it's my Brother's favorite powder - hands down. I've grown hundreds of varieties, but his go to is the PC-1. Puts it on everything. He goes through the stuff by the pound, every year lol.

PaulG said:
When it gets real big, that rhombi will make a great slingshot stock!
Maybe I'll be able to use it to launch some water balloons toward the neighbors later this summer  
:cool:

A few update pics...

One of the 50/50 variegated jalapenos.  They're still in the little 9oz Solos and need to be potted up now that the heat has arrived. I think one of the coolest things about this variety is the stems.
20200626 VJalap2.jpg

Mutant Candlelight setting plenty of little pods.
20200626 MutantCL.jpg

Aji Guyana is setting copiously and the pods are definitely solid. I might consider an OW on this one to see if I could get an extra large plant.
20200626 AjiGuyana2.jpg

Giant Yellow Rocoto x Eximium Cap 1491 F1 continues to set and set and set.  It has a tall, sturdy, upright growth profile and the pods are a decent size - not big, but big enough to be worth the effort to process.
20200626 GYx1491.jpg

I just potted up this outdoor fragilis.  The two indoor ones are currently bigger, but probably not for long.
20200626 Fragilis.jpg

OG Red Brain Strain is responding well to the recent warmer weather.  I think I'll keep it in a pot this season, giving it one more step up to a 2g or 3g nursery.
20200626 BSOG.jpg

Same with the reaper.  These guys are always twitchy about too much sun/heat in the early season, but once they get established they seem to love it.  I think it's finally turned the corner.
20200626 Reaper.jpg

And the galapagoense is doing well, blooming reasonably and setting pods consistently now.
20200626 GalapA.jpg

20200626 GalapP.jpg

20200626 GalapS2.jpg

20200626 GalapS3.jpg

20200626 GalapS.jpg

DownRiver said:
Nice pics CD. Plants look great.

Funny, I have to grow the PC-1 every year because it's my Brother's favorite powder - hands down. I've grown hundreds of varieties, but his go to is the PC-1. Puts it on everything. He goes through the stuff by the pound, every year lol.

Thanks DR.  I've been looking to get this PC-1 for while now and I'm happy to have it.  I'll have to throw some pods in the Nesco for powder as well as the plan of using some for Thai pepper purposes.  It is just a straight powder your brother uses or do you make any additions?

lespaulde said:
Nothing but awesome pics and plants and progress here CD, great update! That variegated J remains a stunner!

Thanks LP.  I'm going to have to try to talk you into giving that one a try. 

Devv said:
Well done CD, the plants look great ;)

The galapagoense is a really cool plant, as is the Giant Yellow Rocoto x Eximium Cap 1491. Love the 4 flowers on one node :party:

:thumbsup:  I didn't even think about the # of flowers per node until you mentioned it, Devv.  The plant has been vigorous, pushing 4 feet already in a nursery #1 with quite a bit of growing season left ahead.  It has the giant yellow's upright branching structure to it; hopefully it will fill in the laterals more with time and be even more productive.

PaulG said:
Most impressive, as always, Dr. McDog!

Your plants all look great, and so many
interesting things going on, the Galapagoense,
the Variegated Jalapeńo stalks, the Mutant
Candlelight just to name a few.

Too much, actually. ;) It  was supposed to be a plant-out day for me today, but it ending up raining all morning - yep, the great northwet did it to me again!  :mad:

Hopefully tomorrow will be dry, yet overcast, and I'll get the tomatoes and a bunch of the annuums into the ground then.  I have zero open deck space and the grilling season is already here.

Mildfruit said:
Im just lost for words. Love the pictures! 

Looking forward to the Aji Guyana taste review, looks like a solid pepper.

Whats the story with the fragilis? Never heard of that one before. 

I'm really hoping the Guyana's a good one.  It's a very productive plant both in number and pod size and if it hits the trifecta with the taste test I'll definitely be looking to OW it.  Was happy to see you take your galapagoense to ripe pods. And you seemed to do it quite quickly!

Word is the fragilis is a mutated wild baccatum and a somewhat recent discovery.  It also takes a long time to produce - as in start very early, from what I've heard.  Mine started out quite slowly, but have been picking up momentum.  The leaves are very cool looking - as are the flowers I've seen in pictures.  Lots of round pods, though I haven't heard any reports on how they taste.  I just gave away my only couple seeds, but I expect to have a fresh batch once these eventually get around to producing.   :rolleyes:

I was happy to see this Piri Pir colored up overnight.  The ripening pods are isolated, so in about a week when I harvest them I'll get this guy some more root room and see what it can do.
20200928 PiriPiri.jpg

Another Frutescens, this Wiri Wiri is starting to perk up.  These guys really seemed to struggle during the cooler weather.
20200928 WiriWiri.jpg

This Purple Flexuosum bloomed heavily starting about a week ago and seems to be setting well.  It got poured on last night during 18 hours of continuous rain.
20200928 PFlex.jpg

This Pimenta de Neyde stayed inside longer than the other one and kept much of its color, despite a couple gloomy weeks it spent outside.
20200928 PdN.jpg

Aji Panca is doing well.  Definitely needs a transplant. I have only one of these guys so I'd like to get solid production from it.
20200928 AjiPanca.jpg

One of 2 Pumpkin Habanero from seeds Dragonsfire share with me.  Like some other Habanero varieties, these seem to do a bit better in cooler weather than other chinense. Still, they prefer it warm to really get busy. This guy set a few pods during a warmer stretch a while back.
20200928 PumpHab.jpg

Chocolate Habanero.  I used to grow these very year, but this is the first time in quite a while.
20200628 ChocHab.jpg

My only two scotch bonnet this year, Jamaican Long on the left and a P. Dreadie.
20200928 SBJL&Dreddie.jpg

CAP 1478 Praetermissum
20200928 CAP1478.jpg

This is an F1 Hyperpube-X Rocoto x CGN Cardenasii.  I goofed up and de facto culled it (set it aside out of the light without watering or attention), but then realized my mistake and had to nurse it back.  It actually looks super healthy now and has tons of lateral growth - it's a bit hard to see as it's really packed in around the base.
20200928 HyperXxCGNCard.jpg

Special Aji Cachucha has been growing very strongly, though it's looking a little light on top.  A few of the peppers on my deck have done that in response to rain.
20200628 AjiCachucha.jpg

And to bring this massive post to an end, here are a couple of PaulG's 7 Pot Burgundy - thanks Paul!
20200628 7PBurg.jpg

20200628 7PBurg2.jpg

CaneDog said:

Thanks DR.  I've been looking to get this PC-1 for while now and I'm happy to have it.  I'll have to throw some pods in the Nesco for powder as well as the plan of using some for Thai pepper purposes.  It is just a straight powder your brother uses or do you make any additions?
What is the PC-1 like? Wondering, just in case I need to add it to my grow list, ha, ha... I’m growing the aji Guyana too from the seed train. They are not really tall, but have a lot of pods, all still green.

Back