CaneDog 2021

Well, here we go again.  The indoor offseason got away from me around the turn of the year, so I decided to shut things down and start clean with the new outdoor season. 

I dropped all the wilds, rocotos, baccatum, chinense and frutescens earlier this month and, excepting wilds, pretty much everything is up and growing.  One thing I did different this year was I didn't presoak seeds, except for a few wilds.  I checked the days-to-germinate for the first round varieties against how they did last year and, based on a quick look, it seems they were generally maybe a couple days slower, which is about what I'd expect.

Today, I transplanted all the baccatum (except Berry Amarillo) plus a few Moz Piri Piri (thanks Tybo!), which are sitting on top of the lights until they root in a bit and can go back below. 
20210228 T54 Tent.jpg

I'm upping my tomato game this season - or at least increasing the varieties.  Usually I just grow San Marzano and Moskvich, maybe the occasional other.  This season I'm branching out a bit more with the varieties, which include Black Krim and Opalka from Dragonsfire and a bunch from Sandia.  I figure tomatoes usually germinate easy enough, so I just stuck them in a humidome toward the back of the T5HO tent where I hope they'll be happy. 
20210228 Tomatoes.jpg

The other big task today was dropping all the annuum into the Coleman.  After this annuum round I'll have just a final 2 varieties I'm waiting for in the mail, then I'll be done starting peppers for the season.
20210228 GermAnnuun.jpg

The last bit of news is I lucked out and will have access to two 10' x 40' plots at the community garden this year, which will include the better-located one that was new to me last year.  I was concerned I'd have access to only 1 this season, which would have significantly decreased my grow.  Anyhow, I'm super happy to have all that space and I'm sure I'll find a way to make it seem like not quite enough ;)

Thanks to all who contributed seeds and otherwise to my grow this year.  I hope everyone blows the doors off it this summer!

CD

Looks like the haul from the community garden will be plentiful! I've always feared community gardens would eat all my peppers if I tried to participate in one :D
Never heard of Inex before, it looks like a variety I know as elephants trunk. I don't know if they are similar.
Also that variegated jalapeño with so much white and purple 👀 So cool!
Also interesting to see the de arbor pods growing upwards, I could swear mine grew downwards last year :p

Any particular variety that surprised you positively this year?

CaneDog

Extreme Member
Still waiting on my Orange Spice Jalapeños To start coloring up.
Me too, PaulG. I'm hoping they have some good heat to them. Have you gotten an actual orange color out of the Orange Spice before? Last season mine looked pretty much red.

An impressive collection. That Inex looks phenomenal. I haven't heard of this before.
Thanks. I received the seeds as Inek Boynuza, but I suspect this pepper is the same as or simply a regional variation of Aci Kirmizi Arnavut. There's another one out there with a different name that looks just the same, but the name escapes me at the moment.

Whatever you call it it's been a producer, starting early and keeping going. My plants are a little on the small side - I got a late start with them - but they produced really well. I can't imagine what full-size plants would do, but I hope to find out next season. :)

CaneDog

Extreme Member
Looks like the haul from the community garden will be plentiful! I've always feared community gardens would eat all my peppers if I tried to participate in one :D
Never heard of Inex before, it looks like a variety I know as elephants trunk. I don't know if they are similar.
Also that variegated jalapeño with so much white and purple 👀 So cool!
Also interesting to see the de arbor pods growing upwards, I could swear mine grew downwards last year :p

Any particular variety that surprised you positively this year?

Hey MF! Well, I have some Mirasol peppers growing downward, so maybe it all evens out one way or another. I think the "Inek" pepper goes by a few names in different places, so I wouldn't been at all surprised.

The community garden haul will be pretty good if no one beats me to it, which was a problem last year. Now both plots are surrounded in 1.2 meter wire fencing, which so far has kept the would-be pepper pilferers at bay. I have some help coming to assist with harvesting the first big batch this weekend, so hopefully no one gets to them in the interim.

Some of the ones that impressed me this season are the Inek Boynusa, Giadone Pueblo Mirasol, Chili Rayado, Serrano Hidalgo, Mulato Isleño, and the Thai Spaz. Heck, a lot of varieties impressed me this year.

PaulG

Extreme Member
@CaneDog - you have a double trouble grow going
down the stretch, buddy, pods at home and in the
community garden! Looks like maybe we’ll pull out
a decent season this year once we get past a little
rainy period this weekend, down here anyway.

I did get some orange spice color last season, but
very few pods. This season just a lot of green large-
olive-sized pods so far. It will take an intense burst
of ripening to get these to orange this Fall. Last
season’s really didn’t have much classic jalapeño
flavor. Hoping for better this season.

CaneDog

Extreme Member
I have enjoyed that pepper (from your seeds) a lot. It causes a peculiar burning sensation that I haven't encountered often. At least in my case, it sensitizes the nasopharynx and I get the feeling I'm breathing fire. I sometimes feel this with super-hots as well.
That's awesome. Glad you liked them. I've really liked that variety both for the pods and the growth habit. Did you get good production? They did well for me in the ground this year, but I got a late start with them and still don't think I've seen their full potential.

ahayastani

Extreme Member
That's awesome. Glad you liked them. I've really liked that variety both for the pods and the growth habit. Did you get good production? They did well for me in the ground this year, but I got a late start with them and still don't think I've seen their full potential.

They certainly were slow starters compared to their brothers and sisters, but at the third flush of flowers they seemed to have found their mojo. It I translate that to the weather we've had, I believe the Thai spaz. likes it hot (~30ºC) but not too much (>33ºC).