• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

CaneDog 2021

Well, here we go again.  The indoor offseason got away from me around the turn of the year, so I decided to shut things down and start clean with the new outdoor season. 

I dropped all the wilds, rocotos, baccatum, chinense and frutescens earlier this month and, excepting wilds, pretty much everything is up and growing.  One thing I did different this year was I didn't presoak seeds, except for a few wilds.  I checked the days-to-germinate for the first round varieties against how they did last year and, based on a quick look, it seems they were generally maybe a couple days slower, which is about what I'd expect.

Today, I transplanted all the baccatum (except Berry Amarillo) plus a few Moz Piri Piri (thanks Tybo!), which are sitting on top of the lights until they root in a bit and can go back below. 
20210228 T54 Tent.jpg

I'm upping my tomato game this season - or at least increasing the varieties.  Usually I just grow San Marzano and Moskvich, maybe the occasional other.  This season I'm branching out a bit more with the varieties, which include Black Krim and Opalka from Dragonsfire and a bunch from Sandia.  I figure tomatoes usually germinate easy enough, so I just stuck them in a humidome toward the back of the T5HO tent where I hope they'll be happy. 
20210228 Tomatoes.jpg

The other big task today was dropping all the annuum into the Coleman.  After this annuum round I'll have just a final 2 varieties I'm waiting for in the mail, then I'll be done starting peppers for the season.
20210228 GermAnnuun.jpg

The last bit of news is I lucked out and will have access to two 10' x 40' plots at the community garden this year, which will include the better-located one that was new to me last year.  I was concerned I'd have access to only 1 this season, which would have significantly decreased my grow.  Anyhow, I'm super happy to have all that space and I'm sure I'll find a way to make it seem like not quite enough ;)

Thanks to all who contributed seeds and otherwise to my grow this year.  I hope everyone blows the doors off it this summer!

CD

Looks like the haul from the community garden will be plentiful! I've always feared community gardens would eat all my peppers if I tried to participate in one :D
Never heard of Inex before, it looks like a variety I know as elephants trunk. I don't know if they are similar.
Also that variegated jalapeño with so much white and purple 👀 So cool!
Also interesting to see the de arbor pods growing upwards, I could swear mine grew downwards last year :p

Any particular variety that surprised you positively this year?

Still waiting on my Orange Spice Jalapeños To start coloring up.
Me too, PaulG. I'm hoping they have some good heat to them. Have you gotten an actual orange color out of the Orange Spice before? Last season mine looked pretty much red.

An impressive collection. That Inex looks phenomenal. I haven't heard of this before.
Thanks. I received the seeds as Inek Boynuza, but I suspect this pepper is the same as or simply a regional variation of Aci Kirmizi Arnavut. There's another one out there with a different name that looks just the same, but the name escapes me at the moment.

Whatever you call it it's been a producer, starting early and keeping going. My plants are a little on the small side - I got a late start with them - but they produced really well. I can't imagine what full-size plants would do, but I hope to find out next season. :)

Looks like the haul from the community garden will be plentiful! I've always feared community gardens would eat all my peppers if I tried to participate in one :D
Never heard of Inex before, it looks like a variety I know as elephants trunk. I don't know if they are similar.
Also that variegated jalapeño with so much white and purple 👀 So cool!
Also interesting to see the de arbor pods growing upwards, I could swear mine grew downwards last year :p

Any particular variety that surprised you positively this year?

Hey MF! Well, I have some Mirasol peppers growing downward, so maybe it all evens out one way or another. I think the "Inek" pepper goes by a few names in different places, so I wouldn't been at all surprised.

The community garden haul will be pretty good if no one beats me to it, which was a problem last year. Now both plots are surrounded in 1.2 meter wire fencing, which so far has kept the would-be pepper pilferers at bay. I have some help coming to assist with harvesting the first big batch this weekend, so hopefully no one gets to them in the interim.

Some of the ones that impressed me this season are the Inek Boynusa, Giadone Pueblo Mirasol, Chili Rayado, Serrano Hidalgo, Mulato Isleño, and the Thai Spaz. Heck, a lot of varieties impressed me this year.

@CaneDog - you have a double trouble grow going
down the stretch, buddy, pods at home and in the
community garden! Looks like maybe we’ll pull out
a decent season this year once we get past a little
rainy period this weekend, down here anyway.

I did get some orange spice color last season, but
very few pods. This season just a lot of green large-
olive-sized pods so far. It will take an intense burst
of ripening to get these to orange this Fall. Last
season’s really didn’t have much classic jalapeño
flavor. Hoping for better this season.

I have enjoyed that pepper (from your seeds) a lot. It causes a peculiar burning sensation that I haven't encountered often. At least in my case, it sensitizes the nasopharynx and I get the feeling I'm breathing fire. I sometimes feel this with super-hots as well.
That's awesome. Glad you liked them. I've really liked that variety both for the pods and the growth habit. Did you get good production? They did well for me in the ground this year, but I got a late start with them and still don't think I've seen their full potential.

That's awesome. Glad you liked them. I've really liked that variety both for the pods and the growth habit. Did you get good production? They did well for me in the ground this year, but I got a late start with them and still don't think I've seen their full potential.

They certainly were slow starters compared to their brothers and sisters, but at the third flush of flowers they seemed to have found their mojo. It I translate that to the weather we've had, I believe the Thai spaz. likes it hot (~30ºC) but not too much (>33ºC).

Every time I catch up on these threads, my pepper wants seem to grow :drooling: Every time I catch up on yours, I'm reminded of my need to secure satellite growing areas. I set myself to trying to figure out what it would take to set one up (a community garden), I've yet to get to it. We have a lot of vacant lots nearby, but most of the community gardens are out of the city.. Never really made much sense to me.

Some sweet looking plants.. I agree that Ineks is a real looker! How does the corkiness impact the pepper and its uses? I've seen people talking about Jalapeno cork too, but I've yet to encounter it much. I can't seem to find that pepper on the intranet? I'd be curious to learn more about it.

Also the look of the ripening Turkish cayenne.. Twisted horn of something from Under the Mountain! Never really thought about sweet jalapenos before..
Now I must go rub seeds in my covetous eyes, lest the thoughts take hold.

I agree that Ineks is a real looker! How does the corkiness impact the pepper and its uses? I've seen people talking about Jalapeno cork too, but I've yet to encounter it much. I can't seem to find that pepper on the intranet? I'd be curious to learn more about it.

Also the look of the ripening Turkish cayenne.. Twisted horn of something from Under the Mountain! Never really thought about sweet jalapenos before..
Now I must go rub seeds in my covetous eyes, lest the thoughts take hold.
My understanding is the Inek is supposed to have a very good flavor, but this is my first experience with it. I'm dehydrating a big batch of them now and plan to flake them. They're pretty darn corky and with the way that impacts the texture I'd expect that while well-suited to certain uses, they're probably not great for all. I've tried a few of the Turkish cayenne and they had a flavor distinct from other cayenne. I'm hoping to make a sauce with a bunch I harvested, but I'm about buried in peppers right now so getting everything processed is challenging.

Okay, @CaneDog - Time to bring it on home, brother.
Good luck winding down the season. Hopefully you've
dodged most of the wet weather the past week.
It's been pretty wet around here for a while now, but not so cold that the plants are suffering much. I'm expecting another decent pod haul this weekend as the stragglers continue to ripen. I'll need to check in on your glogs to see how yours are chugging along.

Ahoy there, Dr. Dog! Your photos are gorgeous as always.

Did the NSR hybrids perform for you? Curious to see what they put out.

Hey E. How's it going?
Thanks. I have an NSR-E plant growing in a small indoor grow with a few select others and just potted it up into a 5" container yesterday. t was starting to flower when I stepped it up, so I expect a few weeks lull as it settles in and then production. As busy as things have been I left it in the smaller container a bit longer than idea, but it's doing fine. It will be interesting to see what it produces.

Last edited:
Thanks Max!

I have a few pic's to share from the plants on my deck.

This is a small 2nd year Zimbabwe Piri Piri plant - from Crafty's African Devil seeds.
20211008 DeckZimPiri.jpg

This is 1 of 5 F2 plants I grew this season of a BOC x BBG Pumpkin cross (I believe). The F1 was a longer orange pod. This is my favorite of the F2's. Not quite sure what I'd call this color, but I like it.
20211009 BOC-X F2 VS.jpg

Another BOC x BBG pod.
20211009 BOC-X F2 VS2.jpg

This is 1 of 5 F2's of Rocoto 1242 x Eximium 1491 I grew out. I was hoping for 3 things out of this rocopica cross, an orange/off-orange color, a larger pod, and a decent collar/shape from the 1242. Chances weren't good growing out only 5, but I was super happy to get a larger (cherry sized) orange/off-orange pod from this one.
20211009 1242x1491 F2.jpg

This is an F1 cross of PaulG's Aji Amarillo and MF's Aji Giallo Arancio.
20211009 MFGiallo x PGAmarillo F1.jpg

Peach Frutescens has been prolific and the pods look cool, though washed out by the flash in this pic. I haven't harvested any yet to try them for flavor and pungency.
20211009 PeachFrut.jpg

Some ripe Datils and unpripe wiri wiri.
20211009 Datil & Wiri.jpg

A few more of the Datil - from Tybo's seed stock.
20211009 Datils.jpg

Baccatum Fragilis started flowering late. I would rank this among the tougher peppers I've grown. Germination isn't particularly difficult, but it's finicky, very slow growing, and slow to flower. Looks like I'll have to get it under lights somehow if I'm going to get ripe pods from it this season.
20211008 Fragilis.jpg

Last edited:
What a great harvest MrDog! I feel like I get all my inspiration for next years grow, In your glog 😅

Congrats on the big pods from the F2's of Rocoto 1242 x Eximium 1491, seems like and interesting cross to follow, will there be a F3? 😇

Great to see the F1 from @PaulG and my seeds, how was it?

That fragilis plant sure is a looker! Have you ever tasted a ripe fruit from it?

Loving the look of those Rocoto 1242 x Eximium 1491 F2's @CaneDog Do the other 4 F2 plants vary significantly from the one in the photo?

Hey CC. Thanks. The different F2 plants don't vary significantly as to plant structure and leaves, though the one with the largest pods looks most rocoto-like. I typically use small pots for these early F growouts, so the plants don't always develop their full/normal shape. The pods seem to be in 3 sizes, very small, small and then these cherry-size ones - which are also the roundest pods. Some of the others are more oblong. I don't know about the pod colors as the pictured one is also the only one to ripen so far. Hopefully the others get ripening soon as the weather is turning quickly and I'd like to see what the colors are.

I do like the look of your Datils. I grew them in my first two years and now in my third they came up as volunteers so I have plenty more. But my pods have a blunt tip. I think the variety I have is a bit unstable as they were all orange in the first year but in the second, half put out red pods.

Anyway, I found this recipe for a Datil sauce and it's a favourite, I just made a big batch: https://www.chilipeppermadness.com/recipes/datil-pepper-sauce/

What a great harvest MrDog! I feel like I get all my inspiration for next years grow, In your glog 😅

Congrats on the big pods from the F2's of Rocoto 1242 x Eximium 1491, seems like and interesting cross to follow, will there be a F3? 😇

Great to see the F1 from @PaulG and my seeds, how was it?

That fragilis plant sure is a looker! Have you ever tasted a ripe fruit from it?
Thanks MF! Hope things are good with you. I think I'm behind a post of two on your glog and will need to check in.

I'm definitely planning on F3's for the rocopica, though I've yet to taste the pods. I doubt they'll be bad enough to end the lineage. :)

I haven't yet harvested any of the aji cross, though I will soon. As I remember, there was a taste to the Amarillo that you didn't find in the Giallo, so I was hoping to compare all of them all at the same time to note the differences. Unfortunately, despite the Amarillo and Giallo being loaded with big pods, it's not looking like they'll ripen before the weather becomes noncondusive.

I'm a big fan of the fragilis and I'm committed to getting ripe pods this season - I didn't in the first season. They're smaller pods, more like wild baccatum I suppose, but I'll be looking to cross them with larger podded baccatum. I'll just need the timing of flowering to align. The fragilis really is slow and once I can get some seeds I'll be growing one inside so I'm not constrained by the seasons.

+1 MF, the color on that cross is awesome, and the shape so Aji.
Good work, CD. I hope the F2 is every bit as nice as the F1.
Thanks Mr. G. I have a big plant of your Aji Amarillo at the community garden that's loaded with really big pods, but it will take some luck if I'm going to see any ripe ones this season.

Back