• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

CaneDog 2021

Well, here we go again.  The indoor offseason got away from me around the turn of the year, so I decided to shut things down and start clean with the new outdoor season. 

I dropped all the wilds, rocotos, baccatum, chinense and frutescens earlier this month and, excepting wilds, pretty much everything is up and growing.  One thing I did different this year was I didn't presoak seeds, except for a few wilds.  I checked the days-to-germinate for the first round varieties against how they did last year and, based on a quick look, it seems they were generally maybe a couple days slower, which is about what I'd expect.

Today, I transplanted all the baccatum (except Berry Amarillo) plus a few Moz Piri Piri (thanks Tybo!), which are sitting on top of the lights until they root in a bit and can go back below. 
20210228 T54 Tent.jpg

I'm upping my tomato game this season - or at least increasing the varieties.  Usually I just grow San Marzano and Moskvich, maybe the occasional other.  This season I'm branching out a bit more with the varieties, which include Black Krim and Opalka from Dragonsfire and a bunch from Sandia.  I figure tomatoes usually germinate easy enough, so I just stuck them in a humidome toward the back of the T5HO tent where I hope they'll be happy. 
20210228 Tomatoes.jpg

The other big task today was dropping all the annuum into the Coleman.  After this annuum round I'll have just a final 2 varieties I'm waiting for in the mail, then I'll be done starting peppers for the season.
20210228 GermAnnuun.jpg

The last bit of news is I lucked out and will have access to two 10' x 40' plots at the community garden this year, which will include the better-located one that was new to me last year.  I was concerned I'd have access to only 1 this season, which would have significantly decreased my grow.  Anyhow, I'm super happy to have all that space and I'm sure I'll find a way to make it seem like not quite enough ;)

Thanks to all who contributed seeds and otherwise to my grow this year.  I hope everyone blows the doors off it this summer!

CD

Sorry to hear that about your Tovarii, Matt.  Seems like you have plenty of good things happening though!  I'll have to make the trek over to your Instagram and check out the pic's.

I'm seeing good progress from the community garden plants.  They added quite a bit of mass over the past 10 days of record hot temps and many are getting that dense look like they're ready to explode with growth.

6 baccatum and 2 Mozambique Piri Piri in a 10 x 5 bed.
20210703 BaccatumBed.png

The Piri Piri are super dense
20210703 MozPiri.jpg

Last time I grew pubenscens in this bed they overran it and it looks like these guys are headed much the same direction.
20210703 PubescensBed.png

The ground rows are filling in well, too
20210703 Rows.jpg

At home, the brown rocopica is flowering
20210703 RocopicaBrown.jpg

All-white rocoto flower
!20210701 ROCSuk.jpg

And the big cardenasii managed to set and hold at least one flower despite the recent heat.
!20210627 USDACard.jpg

Hope one pays you a visit soon. They're uncommon enough to be fun to watch.  I was surprised he invested his effort with such little flowers, but apparently he liked them enough to keep coming back.  I had to shoot him though a window screen so it was tough to lock in on it.  I'm hoping he comes back when I have the sliding doors open and I can get a clear shot.

Looks like a female Anna's hummingbird - the males have a bright pink head.

Hummingbirds are almost impossible to photograph in flight - you need to spray and pray with your camera and hope you get one in focus. This is one of my lucky shots (blue chinned sapphire):
7580004052_358f06f878_c.jpg

That's a great shot, Siv!  Nice work.  The iridescence is really something.  I'll have my work cut out for me as he's feeding in shaded area during the late afternoon sun, but I'll see what I can do.

A few pic's from the deck, which I've managed to finally organize such that it's conducive to taking pictures.

Purple Flower Chacoense - tiny flowers, but it's a small plant being kept in a 5" pot.
20210706 PFChac.jpg

The first flower set this pod
20210706 PFChacSet.jpg

Mutant double-flower on Tovarii - with a snaggletooth
20210706 TovariiMultiFlower.jpg

Uncle_Eccoli said:
Really??  They're like locusts here.  My dad keeps several feeders out; the sound is unbelievable.

Yep. They're simply not all that common around here.  I see them more often at the community gardens than at my house - given the concentration of food sources and people's specific actions to lure them in - but they don't even appear there on any regular basis.

Same here. The hummers like my Star Jasmine vine
in the Summer, and the Kanjiro Camelia in the Winter.
I think I have only seen two at a time a few times here
in my neighborhood, but there are some parts of the
area that have a lot more.

The Anna's are the dominant species here, as well.

CaneDog said:

Yep. They're simply not all that common around here.  I see them more often at the community gardens than at my house - given the concentration of food sources and people's specific actions to lure them in - but they don't even appear there on any regular basis.

We've had good luck with a feeder in our backyard - they like to check it out every now and then, but I think they were more common a couple of years ago at least.

I broke out the Coleman germinator today and started seeds for a small indoor grow.  I'm starting earlier this year so that seeds produced will be ready in time for the 2022 outdoor season.

The cast of characters is:

Aji Oro (Rocoto) - Stettoman
Diente de Perro (Frutescens, probably) - Ahayastani
Kanthari (Frutescens)
Naga Smookie Rainbow x 7 Pot Yellow F2 - Uncle E
Ollantaytambo (Rocoto)
Prik Kaleang (Frutescens)
Prik Lueng (Frutescens or Annuum, we'll see)
Purple Thunder V2 F2 Red - PaulG

Thanks to all contributors.  This should be a fun one - and manageable!

20210710 Germinator.jpg

I like the way you think CD!

I'm with D, lots of interesting varieties there. I'll be watching as well lol.

Well, the hummingbird hasn't returned since I've been prepared, but the bugs are stopping by in greater numbers.

I found this guy lurking in the peach frutescens
20210710 Sinister3.jpg

Which appears to be starting to set pods
20210711 2PeachFrut.jpg

I interrupted this guy mating and his partner flew off. He doesn't seem too happy about it.
20210710 BugEyes.jpg

The Tovarii continue to bloom in earnest, but as in prior years very few flowers set
20210710 Tovarii.jpg

And this is foliage on a 3 yo Scotch Bonnet Jamaican Long.  I assume the patterning is a result of it going back into full sun too abruptly and chlorophyll being bleached, but it looks pretty cool.
20210710 SBJL.jpg

Walchit said:
Love your glog and the varieties you choose CD.

I was about to go into this concert once and a hummingbird came up to this milkweed plant that we had parked right next to. I was so mesmerized that I couldn't tell my friends to look in time.

Thanks, and yeah, that's kind of how they get me at times given that we don't see them too often around here and they don't stick around long when you do.

Hope all is good and you're giving your Webers a workout this summer.  Full-on grilling season is definitely here!

Back