• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Canedog Offseason Season 2022/23

Well, shoot. I don't know that I should start a new glog with as poor as I was about updating my last one, but here it goes. My offseason season started late, with most of my plants being probably four to six weeks old now. I'll start by posting a few of the newer ones.

This guy is an Oxkutzcab/Oxkutzcabian Orange Habanero. I have three of these growing and a couple Caribbean Red Habanero that are smaller. The Oxkutzcab seem to be out-pacing the reds, but they've also been around a little longer. In this pic I particularly like the transition in the stem at the cotyledons.
20221109 Oxkutzcab.jpg

@HeatMiser sent me some of his wild texas tepin seeds - what, a couple years ago now? - and I've been trying to grow the variety to production ever since. The seeds were collected off a wild-growing bush in 2014 and still sprout just fine. I have three of the plants growing that I've overwintered, but it's been a very long-season variety for me here in the pnw and between that and the impact of an aphid infestation last winter I haven't yet gotten any of them to ripe pods. I started this new one with the idea of getting it well-established inside and hopefully it will be mature enough to produce by next season. I may just keep it inside until it does.
20221109 TX Tepin 2014.jpg

Aji Guyana. I've grow this variety for a couple seasons now after Wiri Wiri shared seeds with me. I always end up topping it, so I got that out of the way early this time. I'm hoping once will be enough, but if it gets unruly it may end up seeing the scissors again. Great production out of these and pretty early for a baccatum.
20221109 Guyana.jpg

This is a second generation (with me) ollantaytambo amarillo rocoto. I was hoping the parent's pods would be more pale that they were, but it produced great-looking yellow pods this summer, which I thought had great flavor. I'm curious whether this next generation's pods will be unchanged, plus it's likely getting crossed with one or two other rocotos I have growing now that are close to the same age.
20221109 OllyWhite.jpg

Uvalde Pequin, from @CraftyFox - thanks man! It looked a little rough when it first came up, but it's looking much stronger now.
20221109 Uvalde.jpg

I'm working with several mexican culinary varieties, growing given varieties from multiple sources and in different variations to find out what I like best. Pasilla Oaxaca, Pasilla Negro Bahia, and Guajillo are among them. These guys are the most recent sprouts. The others have been growing a while and are more established.

Guajillo
20221106 Guajillo.jpg

Pasilla Oaxaca
20221109 PasillaOaxaca.jpg

Pasilla Negro Bahia
20221109 PasillaBahia.jpg

I'll close with this guy. I thought I'd run out of the orange arequipa rocoto seeds I'd acquired a couple years back, but I found one scraggly seed in the corner of a seed baggie and that scraggly seed has turned into this scraggly young plant. When it germinated I thought the roots might not be strong enough for it to survive, but I've tried to water it just right and it keeps getting stronger day-by-day. If it keeps improving like it has it might make a good match for the ollantaytambo amarillo rocoto.
20221109 OrgArequipa.jpg

Very nice!
Thanks, Marc. My starts have been hardening off pretty well during our recent heat, though the real test will be today and the next couple days. Hope yours are doing well too and not suffering too much since you recently put them out.
Top notch grow all around, CD! The deck shot is most impressive, and the portrait gallery on the last page is especially awesome. You have been busy, my friend!
Thanks, Paul. The heat's come early this year. We'll be hitting 90F today and it looks like it's even hotter down where you are. Not much of a Spring to adjust. Hope you and the plants are keeping cool.

I got out and cleared the community garden plots yesterday. They were quite overgrown, but after about 7 hours of labor they're ready to move forward. I even got some tomatoes and tomatillos into the raised beds. The majority of the peppers are hardened off and I'll be transplanting them over the course of the next week or so, using spot/hole amendment versus broad distribution.

This year was surprisingly cooperative for hardening off the nightshades. Usually, we get a hard spike of hot weather over a few days, then it dips to cold again, then hot, and it's challenging to get the plants adjusted. This year, we just finished a solid 10 day stretch of warm-to-hot weather and warm nights and they all adjusted without issue. And, as if that weren't enough, it cooled off yesterday so I'll be transplanting into warm soil, but moderate conditions, so the chiles shouldn't be stressed. Sure wish it were that way every year!

Peppers only plot - 400 square feet/37 square meters.
2023-05-21 Plot #2.jpg

Mixed use plot - same dimensions
2023-05-21 Plot #1.jpg

And finally, I harvested a few isolated ripe pods off the chile rayado and collected the seeds. I plan to mark the unripe pods and perhaps I'll let a few more set over the next couple days, then I plan to sink it into one of the raised beds for production.
20230517 RayadoPods.jpg

With the plots getting going, I suppose it's about time to put the off-season glog to rest and start up a main season glog.

Guess I'll add that to my to-do list :)

Last edited:
Time's been hard to come by recently and I haven't gotten the community garden plots fully planted yet, so I suppose I'll stick with this glog until they are - hopefully this weekend!

Just a few pics of things happening indoors.

Prik Khi Nu is a big, strong plant and took its time to flower, but is getting busy now. I have it in a 5.5 inch McConkey and it seems I've let it go a bit long without nutrient augmentation. I'm out of liquid balanced fertilizer, but I'll try to bolster it with a top-dressing of compost and balanced dry granules. Plus maybe a little liquid fish fert to get it some N right away. I plan to pot it up shortly with fresh soil/compost and move it outside (after marking all the iso pods), but I suspect doing that now would interupt fruit set.
2023-06-08 PrikKhiNu2.jpg

2023-06-08 PrikKhiNu3.jpg

Yaki Blue. I love the foliage on these. I've had them get darker to the point of looking metallic under other lighting, but I like this look under the HLG R-Spec a lot, too.
2023-06-08 Yakiac1.jpg

Last, seeds shared courtesy of @Tybo, these are a Poblano x Scarlett's hybrid. I started one sprout previously, but it came in ordinary green so I transitioned it to the outside. I dropped 3 more seeds and got a darker green and 2 of what I believe are the desired darker phono. I plan to keep these isolated inside and see how they develop.
2023-06-08 ScarPo.jpg

Last edited:
Those Pablano/Scarletts crosses are looking good CD. The deer got into my pepper patch and ate some of them all the way down to the potting soil! I've got a few left but not many.
My neighbors have had there shrubbery chew up pretty good too. We have hundreds of acres of wooded area surrounding us but the deer choose to eat what we plant!
Hopefully those seedlings will produce nicely for you.

Hey DWB. Thanks for visiting. You reminded me I haven't posted anything for quite a while. Things always seem so busy.

I grabbed a few quick pics while I was watering at the community garden today. The sun was too harsh to see the screen when taking pictures, but I did the best I could to get things into frame and not throw shadows.

Before I get to the CG pics, I finally got ripe pods on my indoor prik khi nu - and a good haul of isolated seeds. The pods are darn hot, with a good/light and not-bitter taste - plus the heat hit me in the front of the mouth which I like for the way I typically used thai pepper types. I'm quite happy with them.

Prik ki nu and seeds from one pod
2023-07-29 PrikKiNu.jpg

At the community garden plot the banana and hot wax peppers have been unstoppable. Very quick to produce and plenty of good sized pods. Once a few more start showing some color I'll make a harvest and see if I can get a solid second round out of them still

Bananas
2023-08-13 Banana.jpg

Hungarian Hot Wax
2023-08-13 HotWax.jpg

The Lesya have also been super vigorous. I didn't get a good picture of them, but the pods are bigger and heavier than I expected and there's plenty of them. I've been excited to try these after hearing @Downriver speak highly of them and it looks like one of them will be ripe, soon.
2023-08-13 Lesya.jpg

It's been a good year for the Zapotec's apparently, as the two plants I'm growing are solid bushes with big bunches of pods - better than in any previous year. I prefer them red-ripe and the first pod's just starting to turn.
2023-08-13 Zapotec.jpg

Last year was the first year I grew corbaci and the plant didn't come through for me. This year's plant is coming through with a modest bunch so far.
2023-07-29 Corbaci.jpg

On to some non-pepper things, these are tomatillo verde. They were so vigorous in a raised bed that I had to hack them back to stop them from takin over. I have amarylla and malinalco varieties too that are starting to come along now after a later transplant and going into the ground versus a raised bed.
2023-07-29 Tomatillos.jpg

Oroma tomatoes. These guys are supposed to be among the best of the roma/plum types in my area - at least according to some. The plants are quite scraggly, but are producing well. Now if they can just avoid BER, taste great, and process well... :)
2023-07-29 Oroma.jpg

Cheers!

Last edited:
Plants/pods are looking good CD. It's nice to see a tomato plant that doesn't appear to suffer from blight. Unavoidable in my neck of the woods.

Wow, great success in the Seattle. Area, CD!
I’m glad your grow is so successful this season.
How are you holding up in the heat?

Last edited:
Back