• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Capsidadburn 2011 Grow

All the work overwintering is now paying off in plethora of early pods for you, and the new plants will pick up when they drop off. I am itching to try a fresh pod this year just like it was the first pepper I ever grew. :hell: Go pick that fatalii and have it with dinner will ya?

I certainly hope thats the case Cappy. Will do that Fatalii tonight. We are supposed to get an inch of rain this afternoon. We sure need it bad.

Good day all, Mike

Very nice pics. I'm just sprouting baby pepper pods on my cap. chinese. Never knew about over-wintering peppers until i joined THP. Can't wait to try it out.

Thanks PepperJam. It is nice since my normal production skills are still lacking as evident from seasons past. I got the Super Chili's and Thai bird pepper sprouts up that you sent. Thanks! Good luck to you again.

Mike

Mid May update. Well we had a couple inches of rain a few days back which was really needed. Not enough though. It did bring cooler temps for a week or so with the highs around 85. Here are a couple of over wintered Brain Strain shots. Had some seed mix up last season so wasn't sure what it would be but it looks like BS to me. It was one of the last to go in the raised beds so it is still adjusting to it's new home.

Happy days everybody, Mike

May162011pods024.jpg

May162011pods013.jpg

Well we've had two straight 100 degree days and a lot of mid to high 90's. I would gladly trade some heat with any of you with rain problems. I have at least five plants that have sun scald on pods. This happened last year as well. So I have interrupted my fertigation project to build some sun screens for the raised beds at least. It was in the plan to do this in prep for August heat but I guess May is the new August. I nearly completed the first screen yesterday and will do a temperature comparison today. It is a modular inch and half diameter PVC except the flex arch's are half inch. The vertical corners are five components cemented together for ease of assembly, take down (September), and storage hopefully in the rafters of my storage shed on hooks. Here's the pics of the screen and the damage.

Mustard Hab
May292011Sunscreen031.jpg

Brain Strain
May292011Sunscreen030.jpg

Yellow 7 Pod
May292011Sunscreen028.jpg

Pvc sun screen and very hot plants
May292011Sunscreen033.jpg

Structure still need some gusseting and tie downs or stakes
May292011Sunscreen043.jpg

Hey all, The sun is still beating us down here. Finished the second raised bed shade screen. The temp comparison on unprotected bed and shade screen bed; EZ tech Lazer measurements. Plants and pods are no more than 5 maybe 10 degrees cooler on the shade screen. The major difference is the top of the mulch bed. Unprotected 135-150 F. 122 F under the shade of a plant in the same bed. The shade screen bed was 95-100! After a week I have seen noticeable improvement in growth and happier plants. I have ordered my mist cooling supplies which should get the temps on down another 10 to 20 degrees. Here are some of this weeks pics.

Yellow Bhut Jolokia
June4th2011007.jpg

Bahama Goat Pepper
June4th2011004.jpg

Yellow 7 Pod
June4th2011008.jpg

Maraba
May292011Sunscreen042.jpg

Interesting findings with the shade cloth Mike. Looks like it might make a BIG difference.

Plants have grown a bunch! Looks like a nice harvest ahead for ya. :)

Thanks DownRiver, My hopes were high that getting through August without losing to much production time would be a possibility. Now I feel much more confidant, I just wish I was more prepared to begin with. At the last minute I decided to fertigate drip, so I'm working toward that while building the shades. Speaking of heat; I had the strangest experience last weekend. While working there were three squirrels chasing each other for quite a bit of time. Finally two of them took up refuge in my daughters tree fort with apparent heat exhaustion. Laying on their belly's on the side railing. I could see them shaking/ quivering. The other squirrel continued to bully them, maybe territorial, so me not wanting our cats to get involved decided to avert the situation with the garden hose. It only took a couple seconds for it to realize that that jet stream of water was not a bad thing and after being totally soaked it moved for better position to put it's head in the stream and open it's mouth! I have pics of the two on the railing but not the drinking.

You know it hot in Texas when squirrels will drink from a jet stream 20 feet away.

I'll look for the pics when I get home. Here are some pods;
Espelette Basque
May292011Sunscreen034.jpg

Shade structures and grass less yard!
June4th2011019.jpg

Two squirrels in fort
June6th2011002.jpg

June6th2011004.jpg

Well I hope to finish the last shade cloth structure for my raised bed today and maybe get the fertigation going on 120 plants this weekend. Here is a link to the weather forecast;

Cheers everyone Mike

http://www.kxan.com/subindex/weather

Ha ha, those squirrels are pretty funny. I have a question though. How do you not have grass but need a shade structure?

Mill, I spend so much time back there, my kids too, that it gets trampled if it does come up. There is full sun on the beds from 11:30 am to 6:30pm. I don't know about Tennessee but once the temps climb steady over 95 F the plants do not produce. Typically July and August are the hot months. Once September rolls around the plants get happy. You can keep them alive during the heatwave but little produce. The shade structures and some cooling mist sprays, are an attempt to reduce the temps back to production levels during the heat.

I am also not the greatest at yard up keep. The front is not that bad. Next year I might re sod the front.

Thanks Pepper-Guru!

Mike

Totally makes sense. We have it about the same but our red clay cracks every summer from the heat and lack of rain. We have a bunch of spots in our back yard that are full sun from sun up to sun down and nothing will grow there because it just gets too hot. Thats where the big container plants go and get watered and misted daily. Keep up the good work.

Noah

Finally finished the shade structure but I am still re-mulching the raised beds for good heat protection. I found a big hole in a Douglah pod today. I sprinkled some DE about. I found a volunteer mantid in the raised bed on a yellow 7 pod. Thanks, bring your buddy's! Here's a few pics; Have a great weekend, Mike
Tepin from Williamson county
June10th2011009.jpg

Quintisho
June10th2011011.jpg

First fertigation section
June10th2011018.jpg

Other view
June10th2011017.jpg

Father's day update; Well I have drip irrigation on 120 plants and my raised beds. It is amazing to watch that many plants be completely watered inside of 15 minutes time. I have to thank AJ for initiating this foray for the rest of us on the forum. It is very cool. Now I can continue with my neglected annuums and baccatums that need potting up. I hope it is not to late for them. Temp was 106 yesterday and supposed to be 105 today.
http://www.kxan.com/subindex/weather
Here's a few pics. Cheers Mike
Raised bed up close
June19th2011003.jpg

Overwintered Espelette Basque
June19th2011032.jpg

Control panel with temporary injector
June19th2011013.jpg

Sequestered plants from the heat
June19th2011022.jpg

Late platoon of Butch T's
June19th2011021.jpg

Well its July 2nd, I haven't updated in awhile. I went to a funeral in Joplin, MO. last week. My brother in law Ron, (60), whom I did not know well. My two half sisters with whom I was separated from in the early 60's had come to my mother's funeral in south Oklahoma many years ago, so of course I was obligated to go. My sister and her husband had just bought a house. They survived the tornado as it turned slightly and took down their big trees but only punched a hole in the roof and damaged the cars. Ron had health issues prior to the storm.

I wasn't really prepared to see what I saw when I arrived in Joplin. I drove to my wife's old house where her parents used to live on 26th, they moved to Texas 14 years ago when my son was born. It was only foundation left. Driving east down 20th I began to feel an unsettling feeling in my gut. The damage was unbelievable. After which I began to notice new growth on the stripped trees. Everywhere 6 to 12 inches of leaves. I saw heavy equipment all over the place working moving and dumptrucks galore. The word hope was spray painted a lot. I saw a heart with FEMA in it and God bless Everyone painted. There were resource and supply tents all over Joplin not just the damaged areas.

I should mention that my sisters son and his wife lost their house and both vehicles in the storm and were living on the floor of my sisters house. His wife was pregnant past due with their 3rd child, and was actually looking forward to being in a hospital bed to be induced on the 30th. She had a 6 and half pound girl.

I'm sorry that this is so sobering and not really a growing forum update. I will do that tomorrow. July 4th is my 24th anniversary, 26th together. Round Rock has posted no fireworks this year because of the drought and heat. Not even the big displays. Pics of plants and peppers tomorrow.

Thanks Mike

Back