• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Capsidadburn 2013 Less is more

Hello everybody!
This year I will be growing much less than previous season's. I have been reducing my pepper growing for a couple years now. I am germinating under 20 varieties and a month later than last year. I have between 25 and 28 overwintered plants that are out currently, but not to far from the back door. I think I put the first plants in the ground last year late Feb. and early Mar. I do not expect to exceed 50 to 75 new starts this season. Along with my daughter I am growing some veggies, herbs, flowers, and a few fruit trees. I will do my best to keep the grow log lively and entertaining. As always lots of pictures of plants and pods, but also some cool nature, and a few extra distractions from time to time.

Hope everyone has a great season!

Germinating:

All from saved seeds except store pods and Mini Mini from Finland THP member

Cumari do Para iso
Yellow 7 pod (Brain like)
Douglah cross F2 (small red uniform)
Chocolate Hab
Yellow Scorpion CARDI
7 Pot White
7 Pot Barrackpore
Chocolate Bhut Jolokia
Douglah cross F2 (red)
Quintisho
Douglah cross F3 (Brownish- maroon with bonnett-habish shape)
Chocolate Trinidad Scorpion iso
"Funky" orange habs from HEB
Manzano from Fiesta pods
Super Chilli
Trinidad Congo Red
Purple Flash
Smiter Q pequin like pods
Mini Mini

I will list my overwinters soon, can''t remember.

Here are some pics;
Germinating began Feb. 3rd. The three cells in the corner were all up on day 6. Douglah cross F2 small fat red pointy. I might post a pic from last year to show their shape. All my crosses are accidental nature.
IMG_0813-Copy_zpsd22c186d.jpg

Meyer Lemon bloom smells a lot like Jasmin
IMG_0810-Copy_zpsa5a1bae8.jpg

Coming out of hibernation, overwinters
IMG_0786_zpsa1c8e3dc.jpg

Found this guy in a Mountain Laurel by my driveway. Western Screech Owl I believe
02761fe0-3bfe-483a-9a65-57bc2922b900_zpsfb18433f.jpg

Owl be back!

April 4 update;
We had a couple days of rain while some area's got pounded we managed just under an inch. Golf ball size hail not far away so I was rearranging some delicate plants. No harm though.

A couple weeks back I ordered some Chiltepin types from Native Seeds. After 7 days I had 3 of 12 Amarillo's up and 2 of 4 Tarahumara, with zero Sonoran's. Today two more Amarillo's popped. I know these Amarillo's look a little orangish in their pic.
IMG_1075_zpsd6c3b6b6.jpg

IMG_1099_zps5f3d08a9.jpg

This overwinter Douglah cross was very vigorous last year.
IMG_1109_zps00b895c3.jpg

Last year's F1 Douglah cross
July142012008.jpg

Here's an F2 of the same;
IMG_1110_zps148dca01.jpg

3rd year Overwinter Aji Lima Rojo. One of the last to get in the ground finally.
IMG_1103_zpsb53e6c78.jpg

I'm very excited about this Fig tree I got recently. I found a nice Fig jam recipe. It will be my first Stevia jam! Link;
http://www.pickyourown.org/figjam.htm
IMG_1107_zps15325541.jpg

Later Folks, Have a good day!
Mike

Always something different going on here,made for a good morning coffee. I am going to check into Native seeds,never heard of that company before.

Agreed, on all points. It wasn't that many years ago that I first heard of a pepper called "chiltepin". Now, it turns out there are many varieties. Anyone know how many?

Thanks guy's!

Always something different going on here,made for a good morning coffee. I am going to check into Native seeds,never heard of that company before.
I will do my best to keep it interesting or at least humorous! Love me some morning coffee with pics like your grow!

Agreed, on all points. It wasn't that many years ago that I first heard of a pepper called "chiltepin". Now, it turns out there are many varieties. Anyone know how many?
Sawyer, I couldn't tell you how many there are but there are several members here who do grow many of them. I have around a dozen overwintered tepins from central Texas. Would love to move to some land and sink a nice hedge into the ground with them some day. If you want some seeds of these I can send you some. They overwinter outside here. Our winters are usually mid 20's but fairly mild.

Loving the overwinter shots. Plants look like they are gonna be nice and bushy in no time!!!!
Thanks Jamie, Hopefully thats the plan! I will post a few more soon.

I can't seem to get enough of these Meyer Lemon blooms;
IMG_1084_zps17fb0520.jpg

IMG_1101_zps664a35c2.jpg

IMG_1082_zpsdc427a47.jpg

Have a great day folks!

Thanks Sawyer!

Here's an F3 of another Douglah cross from previous years. The origional pod pic below it.
IMG_1111_zps53616692.jpg

July72012028.jpg

This Aji Amarillo overwinter laughed off the transplant shock and is moving on up. Hopefully can get some earlier production before season's end.
IMG_1106_zps16ca460e.jpg

I grew something called Naranjilla or "Bed of Nails" a few years back. I did not get any fruit more than marble size and I should have overwintered it but did not. Makes 2 inch diameter fruit. I had some white fly problems with it late in the season. Here are some new starts for it. Got seeds from Baker Creek. It is native to the area of Columbia and Ecuador. Used to make fruit juice there with a sweet and sour taste. Hard to believe these little guys will become 15 inch monster leaves. I have read that not all of them have thorns. My pic from years back too.
IMG_1100_zps0b93b0f6.jpg

May292011Sunscreen038.jpg

June10th2011019.jpg

Well I got some potting up done this weekend. A dozen or so chinense varieties and some Romanescu brocolli. Got half of the back yard cleaned up.
IMG_1118_zps2d07b4fe.jpg

Yay! Volunteer's welcome! poor pic.
IMG_1117_zpsbd9e22a9.jpg

I got my fementation started too! Pics when I get back to work...

Ingrediants; 7 pot Jonah, Yellow Douglah cross, Datil, and a few misc. red chinense. Carrots, Onion, and Garlic
IMG_1112_zps16d891a8.jpg

IMG_1114_zpsa963b952.jpg

Used Caldwell's vegetable starter, Had to much head space to start with so added some sweet potato. Added too much on the second day had to provide overflow containment.
IMG_1115_zps77b73e0b.jpg

IMG_1120_zps8a6f81ed.jpg

I hope it works! I have a lot of yellow chinense and 7 Pot Barrackpore I might start soon.
Later Mike

How's the sauce progressing? I got the seeds and pods you sent a couple of days ago. Thank you! Rather than double-posting, here's a link to the relevant post in my glog.

John, It's ready to put in the fridge now for a 3 month hibernation. I'm looking forward to starting another half gallon with the yellow chinense from the freezer. Would like to keep it as yellow as possible so trying to think of another sugar source besides carrots. Edit: Looks like Banana or Pear are the high end sugar choices and Peaches the low end sugar content choice for maintaining yellowish color.

Glad you got the seeds, good luck with them. I wasn't sure if you still had time to start any or not.

Have a great day
Mike

John, It's ready to put in the fridge now for a 3 month hibernation. I'm looking forward to starting another half gallon with the yellow chinense from the freezer. Would like to keep it as yellow as possible so trying to think of another sugar source besides carrots.

Glad you got the seeds, good luck with them. I wasn't sure if you still had time to start any or not.

Have a great day
Mike

Does the sauce undergo a cold fermentation, like a lager? I've never seen them for sale, but you can grow yellow carrots. Maybe check your local farmer's market. Or go for a whole different flavor profile, like grapefruit or pineapple.

There's always time to start more seeds. :P Whether they'll have a chance to do anything is another matter. I planted just a few of each last night and am thinking of keeping these restricted to #1 nursery pots this year to overwinter for a head start next year. I'm not very familiar with the growth habit of chiltepins, so maybe a #1 will be too small.

Does the sauce undergo a cold fermentation, like a lager? I've never seen them for sale, but you can grow yellow carrots. Maybe check your local farmer's market. Or go for a whole different flavor profile, like grapefruit or pineapple.

There's always time to start more seeds. :P Whether they'll have a chance to do anything is another matter. I planted just a few of each last night and am thinking of keeping these restricted to #1 nursery pots this year to overwinter for a head start next year. I'm not very familiar with the growth habit of chiltepins, so maybe a #1 will be too small.

John, The great info I am working from is pinned in the "Hot Sauce Making/ Fermenting" section started by Rocketman and Chili Monsta. The yellow carrot idea did pop into my head but did not think I could get a hold of any soon. I thought of pineapple too, and may use it but I did not find it's sugar content. The pineapple and peaches are probably better added on the back end after fermentation and before cooking. Pear's might might best choice as a necessary food source for the bacteria during fermentation.

The Tepins will be a small bush plant that will be very woody in it's 2nd year. For the purpose of space saving the #1's, should be fine and pot up or in the ground next season. The others I sent you are just small pod varieties that interest me, (not chiltepins) and wanted to share. I'll send you some more info and pics on some of them later today.

Good luck

Cool. Thanks, Mike. I've been intending to check out that hot sauce forum more. I only tried fermenting once, years ago, sauerkraut, and it turned out horribly. Never did figure out what I did wrong, unless I used iodized salt. I think that's a no-no. I did think all the seeds were various types of chiltepins, but it's all good.

Wow, cool Mike....That fermentation lock sure brings back some memories...When I got rid of all that stuff I never imagined there might be another use for them....

I'm very excited about it! As soon as the family is all out of the house for a few hours I will start the next one. Don't think I have room enough for more than two half gallons in the fridge at a time. Trying to fanagle a small fridge in the garage where evil science could rule the man cave*. Trying to sweeten the deal by promising to remove all frozen pods from the freezer!

We will see.

Anyone who knows me, knows my garage is unavigable and I would have to have hoarding genes surgically removed to achieve this scenario.

Mike

Back when I was brewing I had a refrigerator for each stage of the lager beer process: primary fermentation, secondary fermentation, lagering (aging, final very slow attenuation), and "service" kegs....That room was obnoxiously hot and noisy....Seems like there was another fridge for my hops and agar slants...It's been a couple decades since....

Edit: Now that I think about it, I used the same fridge for primary and secondary, and there were two for lagering...The point is, I was way, way over the edge...a slave to a hobby that started out being fun...I'll never do that again...:cool:

You would be real good at it, and it's deeply gratifying for sure...Yeah Mike, you NEED another hobby! :cool:

I absolve myself of any responsibility for whatever you may decide...

By the way, I do find myself researching cheese making. Ricotta is supposed to be real easy...the gateway cheese?

Back