• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Capsidadburn 2014

Here we go again.  Seems like it was only yesterday.  I've recieved a lot of pods and seeds from great folks here.  THP and those folks are awesome!   I'll be growing most all of them as well as an order I just placed yesterday with Semillas.

I will seriously have to alter my logistics and layout to grow everything and keep it as asthetic but affordable as possible.  Big problems;  I need to trim my front yard trees to get more morning and mid day sun in the back.  I really need to haul in new soil.  Hello wheelbarrow and backpain.  My city is currently in a stage 2 drought restrictions (once a week watering).  I usually water with drip irrigation everyother day until summer forces me to each day.  Barrel collection (which I've been tinkering with for a while) will have to happen.

Here is my list in no particular order.  Seeds and or Fresh pods from; Pepperlover/ Judy, GAGrowhead/Jason, Windchicken/Gary, Sawyer/John, Spicegeist/Charles  Meatfreak/ Stefan, PIC 1/ Greg  Thanks to all!                  
                                                                                               Transplanted to 3x3's;
 ​
Butch T Scorpion /Me
Trinidad Scorpion Sunrise/Jason
Peach Bhut Jolokia/Judy
Sepia Serpent/Jason
Bhut Orange Copenhagen/Jason
Peach Habanero/Judy
7 Pot Not Red (Yellow) Barrackpore/Me
White Devil's Tongue/Jason
NagaBrain F3/Gary
Jay's Peach Ghost Scorpion/Jason
Jay's Red Ghost Scorpion/Jason
Congo Black/Judy
White Bhut Jolokia/Judy
Bonda ma Jaques X Yellow 7 Pot/Gary-Charles
Brain Strain/Judy
Datil/Jason
Tobago Yellow Scotch Bonnet/Judy
Bubble Gum 7 Pot #1/Jason
Yellow Moruga Scorpion/Judy
Yellow Bhut Jolokia/Judy
7 Pot Chiguanas/Judy
Texas Pequin F2/Gary-Brian
7 Pot Jonah/Judy
Brown Moruga Scorpion/Judy
Elysium Oxide Bonnet F4/ Me
Tepin X 7 Pot/Charles
MOA Scotch Bonnet/John
7 Pot Burgundy/John
7 Pot Barrackpore/Me
Jigsaw/John
Jamaican Yellow Scotch Bonnet/Judy
Cumari do Para/Me
Giant Yellow Brainstrain/Judy
Carolina Reaper/John
Funky Reaper/John
7 Pot Brown/John
Douglah/Me
Chintexle/Charles
Donne Sali/Charles
TFM Scotch Bonnet/Jason
Tepin X Quintisho F1/ Me
Mini-Mini X Purple Flash F1/ Me
Trinidad Chocolate Bonnet/Jason
Trinidad Cherries/Jason
Tepin/Me
Quintisho/Me
Giant White Hab/ Jason
Espelette Basque/ Me
Green Habanero
CGN 23255
Brown Bhutlah
Brown Rocoto
Sara's Green
El Oro de Ecuador
Jalapeno Jalastar
Habanero Naranja Picante
CAP 217 Rocoto
Jalapeno Goliath
Lota Bih
Chiclayo
Jalapeno El Jefe
Yellow Bhut SG
Naga Suomi
Madballs 7 Red
7 Pot Primo Orange
Yellow Infinity
St. Martins Red Hab
Miss. St. Butch T
Madballs 7 Chocolate
Och Rios Scotch Bonnet
Numex 6-4
Armageddon
MOA Red
Spanish Naga Morich
Lumbre
Big Bang Chocolate Naga
White Fatalii
UBSC
 ​

Have a great day people!

Devv said:
Very nice Mike!

Glad to see you're pulling pods!

And the Tiger pic, yes a pic worthy of framing.

We got some nice rain when I was away, did you get any?
Thanks Scott!  Yeah we got a 3 inch rain one night a couple nights back.  I heard parts of Austin got 7.

Vine Sphinx moth on basil  Eumorpha vitis

Do you know what the larval stage of that sphinx moth looks like?  Some sphinxes are the adult stage of the tobacco and tomato hornworms, (Manduca sp.), but that doesn't look like either.... After some googling, the markings look like the Banded Sphinx, Eumorpha fasciatus.  Apparently nothing to worry about wrt peppers.

Sawyer said:
Do you know what the larval stage of that sphinx moth looks like?  Some sphinxes are the adult stage of the tobacco and tomato hornworms, (Manduca sp.), but that doesn't look like either.... After some googling, the markings look like the Banded Sphinx, Eumorpha fasciatus.  Apparently nothing to worry about wrt peppers.
I got some profile shots of the head and it made me wonder if it came from the hornworm. I find them trying to pupate on my plants. I have a butterfly book at home that I have seen the moth in so I'll check at lunch time and edit this post. I think I went thru this years back and have just forgotten.

Thanks John!

Eumorpha vitis, and it does look like the hornworm is the larva. There's probably a life cycle diagram out there somewhere.

Link;
http://leps.thenalls.net/content2.php?ref=Species/zSphingidae/vitis/life/E_vitis_life.htm

capsidadburn said:
Yes the pods from the green pheno container plant which is the biggest plant are going peach.  The Purple pods from the dark pheno container are still purple, maybe darker.  I'm waiting to see if they change more.  The dark pheno raised bed plant just put on a couple pods as the summer heat is peeking now.  The shade screens have caused it's leaves to change not so dark with more green visable.  Kind of half and half.

It exhausts me to think about growing out the Mustard yellow pod plant seeds but I will save some seeds.  I'm always chaseing isolated pods and had the bag on before I new the color.   If your interested let me know and I'll get some in a Stefan pile to go out later this year.  Glad to hear the pods are nice and big. Can't wait to see and hear if anyone likes them or not!
Sounds like you got the same kind of phenotypes as me, Mike :) The leaves turned dark/green here also after the plant. I'm definitely interested in the Mustard type :) Thanks for sharing!

The plants being overwhelmed by it's neighbors.
IMAG4740.jpg

No problem Stefan.  I'll continue efforts to obtain isolated seeds and try and get some better photos of the pods.  It's entirely possible that you might have a mustart yellow plant as well.  We'll know soon enough.  I think I have a second mustard plant ripening now.

Later

Good call on the moth.  The E. fasciatus  is missing the extra band on the forewing.  Still not a problem for peppers, though.  Grapes on the other hand...

capsidadburn said:
No problem Stefan.  I'll continue efforts to obtain isolated seeds and try and get some better photos of the pods.  It's entirely possible that you might have a mustart yellow plant as well.  We'll know soon enough.  I think I have a second mustard plant ripening now.

Later
Yeah, it's possible indeed but it will be until the season to know this since the other 2 plants are just setting. Hopefully they are not. I'm thinking of pruning the Georgia Black that's standing next to the plants because it's taking away all the light.

Good stuff on the ferment, I have to try this again this year. I tried it before but that didn't work out. Back then it was to cool to work I guess. Have a great weekend!

The heat of the summer can have an effect on one's mood.  I find some good music, a cold drink,  or some sort of humor will keep the heavy mind fog on the lite side...

Here I ascess any dangerously hot pods before I expose my familly to them.  If I find any, I remove them to outdoors until they can be processed for safe handling and storage inside.

This brown or chocolate UBSC from Greg/ PIC 1 pegged out the needle. :liar:

As I suspected!  A lot of people could be hurt by this pod.  My forehead is burning...

Seriously, a lot of people were hurt by one of these pods at my work today.   They look forward to it though!

I have this Lionel geiger counter because of some minerals I used to collect and impact glasses.  Didn't want my kids absorbing the bad stuff.  I have some Trinitite glass that had me concerned at first.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CD_V-700

A couple 7 Pot Barrackpore pods a little longer than I remember.

A ripening Bhut Orange Copenhagen on a not to healthy plant.  My 3 container plants all look the same, but the raised plants are better, just behind in the timeline.

A very hot and miserble looking Chiclayo plant.  C. chinense from Semillas la Palma  Tasted fruity with good crunch and bite sting heat.

This has definately been  a mild heat summer with only 3 days at 100° F so far.

Have a great day and stay cool!

Mike

Looking good Mike!

And yes the cooler summer has been a major blessing. I was in the garden this morning at first light and it was actually cool out!

Weekend's getting closer ;)

Everything is radioactive! Especially that brown UBSC! You need to quarantine the area and ship those pods to me in a lead box before someone gets poisoning. ;)

Do bananas register? A smart phone?
(Things I would test list gets bigger and bigger!)

capsidadburn said:
The heat of the summer can have an effect on one's mood.  I find some good music, a cold drink,  or some sort of humor will keep the heavy mind fog on the lite side...

Here I ascess any dangerously hot pods before I expose my familly to them.  If I find any, I remove them to outdoors until they can be processed for safe handling and storage inside.

Ah-hahaha......Mike that's hilarious !
I first looked at that photo and thought you had a fancy "Bird rf wattmeter" and was checking the power output off the dish ..plate...... :lol: 
I'm glad those pods weren't radioactive............nor kryptonic.......lol

Devv said:
Looking good Mike!

And yes the cooler summer has been a major blessing. I was in the garden this morning at first light and it was actually cool out!

Weekend's getting closer ;)
Scott, I think I might be a little spoiled by this mild summer for seasons to come.  Can't forget the horrer of 2011!

Spicegeist said:
That brown pepper looks very hot.  Is that a geiger counter?
It was indeed Charles on both accounts!

OCD Chilehead said:
LMAO Mike. That is great. Pods are coming along nicely. This week is the first time this Summer it hasn't been upper 90s. Feels great and the flowers not dropping as much.

Thanks for sharing.

Chuck
I understand the frustration of bloom drop Chuck!  It is nice for a change.

GA Growhead said:
Everything is radioactive! Especially that brown UBSC! You need to quarantine the area and ship those pods to me in a lead box before someone gets poisoning. ;)

Do bananas register? A smart phone?
(Things I would test list gets bigger and bigger!)
I'll stop by the postmaster and ask for some lead lined sfrb's!  If it fits, it ships right?  No matter what the weight might be!  Might cause some other security alarms though.

PIC 1 said:

Ah-hahaha......Mike that's hilarious !
I first looked at that photo and thought you had a fancy "Bird rf wattmeter" and was checking the power output off the dish ..plate...... :lol: 
I'm glad those pods weren't radioactive............nor kryptonic.......lol
A little humor goes a long way amidst the seriousness and stress from the day!

This post is a little late.  These pics were last weekend.

Thanks for looking!

Mike

Back