• We welcome content that is not political, divisive, or offensive. If we feel your content leans this way or has the potential to, it may be removed at any time. A hot pepper forum is not the place for such content. Thank you for respecting the community!

Carnivorous Plants

stillz - that plant looks very cool!

rainbowberry said:
They are beautiful Stillmanz, almost fairy like. I have been drinking beer but they would still be fairy like if I was sober :)

:lol: I may have missed it before, but this seems like the 1st post I've seen that you mentioned that you're drunk while posting :lol:

chilehunter said:
stillz - that plant looks very cool!

:lol: I may have missed it before, but this seems like the 1st post I've seen that you mentioned that you're drunk while posting :lol:

:lol: Happens quite a lot. No one notices because I can still spell when drunk, instead I just come out with random things.

I couldn't be arsed to wait and see if it will germinate from seed so I bought a small one. The woman on the till told me to give it rain water and something about keeping it in the garage in winter. I think I should now read this thread from beginning to end. Oh and I also found out that you are not meant to stick your fingers in them to get them to close up because you ruin them. I wondered why most of them on show at the garden centre looked like crap. Here's mine.

22072008269.jpg

That's really healthy! You have way more than just one plant there. That may be D. Dente variety. You don't have to feed 'em rainwater, distilled water works perfect. But if you do give 'em rain water, make sure it's been raining for about an hour or two before you collect it to feed them (the polutants will be out of the air by then). Also, don't leave them out in the rain because the rain will trigger the traps.

Forget about overwintering it (that's what she ment about the garage). I've never once overwintered a CP and they all do amazing.

imaguitargod said:
That's really healthy! You have way more than just one plant there. That may be D. Dente variety. You don't have to feed 'em rainwater, distilled water works perfect. But if you do give 'em rain water, make sure it's been raining for about an hour or two before you collect it to feed them (the polutants will be out of the air by then). Also, don't leave them out in the rain because the rain will trigger the traps.
Probably healthy until it spends a month with me but thanks Iggy, when she was telling me this I said I know of someone in the US that knows loads about them, the lady at the till said "she'll know a lot more then me then probably". *yep* I never thought about that with rain water, and we get plenty of it in England, but I'll take your advice and use distilled water. What would normal tap water do? I always leave mine to stand anyway for 24 hours before watering plants (chlorine thing). I'm assuming it would like a larger pot at some point. The label says 'Dionaea', is it OK to keep them altogether if there's more than one plant? Like I said previously I've got to read all this thread from start to finish.

Normal tap water runs the extremely high risk of killing them quickly. They are very sensative plants and have a very narrow life nitch. Tap water has alot of minerals and chemicals in it (especially if you live in the US....floride's a bitch) and CP's don't like those one bit. That also includes well water.

Ya, I would suggest moving it into a larger pot sometime in the near future. Judging by the clumps you have going this plant is spreading fast. They like living clumped together like that but the more surrounding soil you give them, the more room they have to byfrecate and spread.

"Dionaea" is the main genra of VFT's. It's like Capsicum to peppers. So your full name would be "Dionaea Dente" or D. Dente for short.

Good luck on reading the whole thread, there's a shit ton of info there ;)

Did I read your quote right, the lady just assumed that I was a she? lol

Thanks again, I will move to a different pot as they do look like they're spilling over a bit, I'll try a 6 inch one maybe. Yes you did read it right, she assumed you were a 'she' and it is a shit load to read, that's why I haven't done it yet :lol:

Thank you CH. I was thinking of re-potting them tomorrow but I'm not sure what pot size to put them in, I was thinking a 6-8 inch pot (sorry I work in inches). Also do I just re-pot them in like this, if there's more than one plant do I have to divide them up a bit?

Thanks IGG, I re-potted it before I read the above and did what I imagined you might do. They're in an 8 inch pot and still all clumped together :)

rainbowberry said:
and did what I imagined you might do.

Oh, so you smoked some pot beforehand, put on your tin foil hat, cranked up some noise tunes and then transplanted them all while sipping a fine Stout? Because that's what I would have done.......... hehe ;)

I'm glad they got repotted.

I just got a gnat invasion on my pot of death so I placed them outside...

I just wanted to say thanks! to IGG & Stillz for helping me with dealing with my VFT problems. they're now growing nicely (upright)
now lets just hope I can keep them alive through the winter/spring :pray:

chilehunter said:
I just wanted to say thanks! to IGG & Stillz for helping me with dealing with my VFT problems. they're now growing nicely (upright)
now lets just hope I can keep them alive through the winter/spring :pray:

No problem, mate! I'm glad they are out of the worst of it. If you start having problems again during the winter....you know where to find us ;)

stillmanz said:
looks very much like the same nepenthesis I have.

Yeah i dont notice one from another really...not my thing. But this was about 1/2 as big again from any of the others there....thought I'd snap a pic for the fanatics.
That one would have been around 10". I kept trying to push the boy closer for a size comparison but he started to fight back. :lol:.
Thats the 2nd pic...first one has better size comparison but, well, it's not so pretty if you know what I mean.

Back