• We welcome content that is not political, divisive, or offensive. If we feel your content leans this way or has the potential to, it may be removed at any time. A hot pepper forum is not the place for such content. Thank you for respecting the community!

Carnivorous Plants

really ? :shocked:
how big do those plants & containers get anyways.
I still cant get over the fact of their size & then the little stem part that keeps them upright, it just looks like the size & weight of the container would bust off the stem connecting to the leaf.

I got to borrow a decent camera and so have some pics of my plants
tommorow I will try and get some pics of my pygmy drosera I took a lot of pics of them today but they didn't turn out.
Now remember its our Winter so most of the plants are either in a dormant stage or just coming out, I'm gonna have a big year chillis and carnivorious plants.
Anyhow heres some pics and hopefully more to come tommorrow.

firstly not carnivorous plants but "air breather"
DSCF1632.jpg

DSCF1631.jpg

DSCF1630.jpg

DSCF1633.jpg

DSCF1628.jpg

DSCF1627.jpg

so there is some I'll keep you posted I have heaps of VFT but they are pretty ordinary yet give them a week or three.

Cheers

Mick

Stuff looks great! I'm glad you can find live sphagnum, I can never find the stuff. That last pic of the twisted "air breather" looks super groovy. Do they usually look at twisted like that?

Mine's turning black in places, leaves and traps. OK it didn't have hardly any light and I committed the ultimate sin by watering it with tap water (left for a day or so). I've changed where I keep it now and I'm changing the water I give it. Do you think I've killed it?

rainbowberry said:
Mine's turning black in places, leaves and traps. OK it didn't have hardly any light and I committed the ultimate sin by watering it with tap water (left for a day or so). I've changed where I keep it now and I'm changing the water I give it. Do you think I've killed it?
Traps are basically just leaves, and leaves die. I would need pics to see for sure if it's nature or you that's doing it....tap water....forshame, RB, for shame. :(

Well I kind of pulled the black bits off so there's not much left :oops: I don't think it's the soil as it has been happy in it, well it was. Here's the photo after picking black bits off, I bet I've killed it now.

11082008323.jpg

It's not dead yet. I would give it a good flush with the distilled water to try to get rid of the crap that the tap water has introduced. The fact that the traps are starting to die off before developing fully or even opening is a sign that there's a major problem. It also need much more sun than it's getting now.

Clip off the leaves that are blackened and are starting to blacken (clip them down to the base). You should be fine if you do the above steps.

this variety is called "royal red" its a deep red purple only just comming out of dormancy
DSCF1636.jpg

the one in the red pot is a variety called "fang"

air breathers don't have roots (they require a misting evry now and then) they are kinda like a bromiliade kinda like a very hardy orchid they set large flowers very cool plants I have about 7 different types
I'll find the scientific name and a link if I get a chance tommorow

stillmanz said:

this plant looks very cool! what type is it ?
are air breathers native to only australia ?
do you just set them ontop of some rocks in a container for looks since they have no roots & no need for dirt. are they easy to grow & take care of ?

just a quick update
DSCF1762.jpg

nepenthis going nuts lol

and my Royal red VFT coming on strong, they should be impressive in a month or so
DSCF1761.jpg

Hows everyone else doing?

Mick

Back