• We welcome content that is not political, divisive, or offensive. If we feel your content leans this way or has the potential to, it may be removed at any time. A hot pepper forum is not the place for such content. Thank you for respecting the community!

Carnivorous Plants

No CH but I can get them to
Red pirahnas is a type of VFT.

BB yeah my wife humours me...

Thats right Bent those are someof the Fangs I keep atthe shop plus the Drosera capensis red which are probably the easiest carnivorous plants to grow. In a week or so I'll post some pics of the babies..........

stillmanz said:
IGG thats not what Barry Rice said ....lol
Hehe, it just so happens that that is what 50+ people in the LACPS (Los Angeles Carnivorous Plant Society) say. :lol:

stillmanz said:
BB it just so happens I am now the VFT business ...
I got a couple hundred Pink Venus and royal reds and red piranhas (its a long story)
Oh Dear God what have I done. I've created a monster, this is all my fault lol.

Red Piranhas are an awesome variety, you are going to love them.

So, what's the long story....inquiring minds want to know.

yeh I here you IGG Barry Rice says not to use perlite at all ....
but its a "basic" (read safe mix) to use in comercial conditions for VFT. for my personal plants I used 30 percent spagnum moss 50 percent peat and 20 percent coarse sand.

It turns out I know a guy who knows a guy who owed a guy who has a cousin who has a friend who thinks carnivorous plants are pretty cool who happens to owe me a favour and had some excess stock and a friend who was driving north. and tada ......... many many little VFTs.

stillmanz said:
It turns out I know a guy who knows a guy who owed a guy who has a cousin who has a friend who thinks carnivorous plants are pretty cool who happens to owe me a favour and had some excess stock and a friend who was driving north. and tada ......... many many little VFTs.

awwww one of those deals :lol:

Youve got competition now stillmanz, my first ever VFT, bought from Big W for 6 bucks! :P

pix539.jpg

very healthy bb (thats the fang variety which is all we get in the shops)
from my experience the key is rain water or distilled water and keep them moist, good sun (full sun)...
and they grow like nagas.

heres my grow list from Trifffid Park
Triffid traps
low vigorous
red petrioles
pink venus
red royal
red piranha
Fang
Big mouth
I also got about 5 types of drosea
I think thats it (tooo many tequila)
cool plants man, I've had some die back but lots of regrowth. Triffid parks is the best place in oz to get these kinds of plants.

Omri thats about the size they get man I think you seen to much of little shop of Horrors.

Mick

stillmanz said:
Omri thats about the size they get man I think you seen to much of little shop of Horrors.
I've seen bigger ones, so... :P
It doesn't necessarily mean bigger "mouths", but more of them, and larger area.

little_shop_horrors_xl_01.jpg

bb I think theres a big untapped market for red VFT in OZ you see lots of different stuff but only the "common" (Fang) VFT
plus in best conditions they are freakish, really beuatiful lots of red striking colour.
shit hot basically

IGG - I think you opened a can of worms, because now theres alot of us here that want VFT or already bought some, not thats a bad thing.

to whoever - VFT only get that big, height ? at least they grow out into bigger clumps, right ? so you can have a huge container of VFT. are they slow growers or do they spread kinda quick ?

stillz - yea but omri is RB's tool :lol::P
weeks ago you didnt have 1 VFT & now you have a bunch of them :lol::cool:

stillz - that site you just linked is nice how they had all the VFT on 1 page to compare the pictures of each & some cool looking ones there.
I'll be getting some that have a reddish color to them.they look cool vs all green. probably only 6 plants at most
but need to look back through this thread as to what IGG said about my questions on types before I decide on which ones to buy. maybe in a month or so I'll have some, just intime for fly season :hell: :lol: today we're gonna get 4"-7" of snow

chilehunter said:
IGG - I think you opened a can of worms, because now theres alot of us here that want VFT or already bought some, not thats a bad thing.
Yep, I'm evil. :hell:

chilehunter said:
to whoever - VFT only get that big, height ? at least they grow out into bigger clumps, right ? so you can have a huge container of VFT. are they slow growers or do they spread kinda quick ?

Some verieties get tall, some are low to the ground. They'll eventually byfracate and you'll end up with a huge clump of hungry mouths. They are medium growers. It's all about giving them the right conditions to live. Just get a large pot and sove about three or four plants into it and eventually you'll get what I got below:

potofdeathnp7.jpg

the reds and pinks are the ones we are concentrating. apparently they are the slowest growers due to not having as much green pigment, but they still the coolest in my opinion.

Red Pirana
Royal Red
Pink Venus

are three cool ones IMO.

stillmanz said:
the reds and pinks are the ones we are concentrating. apparently they are the slowest growers due to not having as much green pigment, but they still the coolest in my opinion.

Red Pirana
Royal Red
Pink Venus

are three cool ones IMO.
Take em out of high sunlight and they turn green ;)

If you ever get your hands on a Southwest Giant, that'll be the coolest one. They get HUUUUUUUGGEE!!!

imaguitargod said:
Take em out of high sunlight and they turn green ;)

If you ever get your hands on a Southwest Giant, that'll be the coolest one. They get HUUUUUUUGGEE!!!
Wouldn't it be the other way around? red pigments are usually formed to screen too much sun. so more light would cause the red color, or am I way wrong? dunno, maybe VFTs are weird plants.

Back