• We welcome content that is not political, divisive, or offensive. If we feel your content leans this way or has the potential to, it may be removed at any time. A hot pepper forum is not the place for such content. Thank you for respecting the community!

Carnivorous Plants

Omri said:
Wouldn't it be the other way around? red pigments are usually formed to screen too much sun. so more light would cause the red color, or am I way wrong? dunno, maybe VFTs are weird plants.

Ya, that's what I'm saying. You put them in high sunlight they will turn red. Take them out of high sunlight they revert back to green.

imaguitargod said:
Ya, that's what I'm saying. You put them in high sunlight they will turn red. Take them out of high sunlight they revert back to green.
Oh ok, my bad. for some weird reason my eyes saw "to" instead of "of". :oops:

OK so VFT love full sun. I got the bulk of the plants outside were they get an ideal amount. But I have a few specimens I want to do an experiment on under lights (ie longer light exposer alsosomecloningdown the track). So what lights do you think will be best and most economical set up?

so would you say 2700 K would be enough over say 16 to 18 hours to get em charging? I got a few old light set ups under the house I'm only chasing growth . I might ring the local hydro guy and get a few tips I think.

stillmanz said:
OK so VFT love full sun. I got the bulk of the plants outside were they get an ideal amount. But I have a few specimens I want to do an experiment on under lights (ie longer light exposer alsosomecloningdown the track). So what lights do you think will be best and most economical set up?

I've actually never grown them under the full blown lights before. I just know lots of lights are needed for best growth and color.

Heres a pic of my N mardi gra
DSCN3442.jpg

DSCN3439.jpg

and here are my kids "fang" all named lol
DSCN3437.jpg

Ugh, those pitchers look absolutely perfect! Healthy and beautiful!

Your VFT's, however, look like they are getting a bit spindly especially the one marked "XANT4E". I would put that one in a new pot and cover it with dirt so that the white part at the base is under dirt.

imaguitargod said:
Ugh, those pitchers look absolutely perfect! Healthy and beautiful!

Your VFT's, however, look like they are getting a bit spindly especially the one marked "XANT4E". I would put that one in a new pot and cover it with dirt so that the white part at the base is under dirt.
XANTUE?

stillmanz said:
so would you say 2700 K would be enough over say 16 to 18 hours to get em charging? I got a few old light set ups under the house I'm only chasing growth . I might ring the local hydro guy and get a few tips I think.

Stillmanz,

What I am finding it that Lux, in conjunction with the PAR value of the lights is the most important thing. The 2700K lights should be close to 100 percent PAR value so you need to concentrate on the Lux which is related to the lumens. Currently, I'm using four 13 watt CFL lights (each is equivalent to 60 watts of incadescent light)in a 20"x30" chamber with either white walls or mirrors and getting about 1600 lux at the base of the plants. I hope to increase this by at least 1/3 by switching to 20 watt bulbs. That would be double what my 4' flouro tubes deliver.

Mike

A mate of mine grows heaps of them we get the easy high humidity ones as they like the conditions here Do a google, they grow from cutting well apparently, I might get a few different ones as they seem to like it out the back of my house.

If they like high humidity I dont know if where I am from is the place for them :( maybe IGG can answer as we have nearly the same weather now that he is in O - Hi- O.

LUCKYDOG said:
If they like high humidity I dont know if where I am from is the place for them :( maybe IGG can answer as we have nearly the same weather now that he is in O - Hi- O.

What? Where are you located?

The VFT's don't need high humidity and neither do the pitcher plants (although Cephelodis really likes it). But what you can do is keep them in a aquarium tank (thus turning it into a terrarium) and close the top to keep the humidity high. Alot of the times keeping it in a small pan of water is enough to crank the Droseras into producing the juices on the leaves.

Back