• We welcome content that is not political, divisive, or offensive. If we feel your content leans this way or has the potential to, it may be removed at any time. A hot pepper forum is not the place for such content. Thank you for respecting the community!

Carnivorous Plants

Im in Connecticut East Coast When you get storms or rain we usually get them in 2-3 days later... I was thinking they were a hanging like Stillzmans pictures... I see that there are also types... I saw pictures of Darlingtonia that seem to like cooler temps. I would have them in indoors BTW

My wife tells me that my 6 year old daughter was so good at the grocery and Walgreen's, that she told her to pick out a toy as a prize........

She brought home a decent sized and healthy looking VFT from Walgreens!!!!

*Sniff Sniff*....That's my girl!;)

cheezydemon said:
My wife tells me that my 6 year old daughter was so good at the grocery and Walgreen's, that she told her to pick out a toy as a prize........

She brought home a decent sized and healthy looking VFT from Walgreens!!!!

*Sniff Sniff*....That's my girl!;)

What's a VFT?

DrHavanger said:
What's a VFT?
The subject of this entire debate... :lol:
DSCN3437.jpg

The Nepenthes in the pic ie the pitcher plant come from the rainforests of south east asia. THis is what my mate specializes in.
We can grow them outdoors all year round here, he has vines of them 3 metres long, they look cool when they real big.

http://www.captiveexotics.com/

ditto, that pitcher plant looks weird & cool at the same time, kinda looks like it could easily break off from the leaf because of the small twig part.

those pitchers are stuck pretty good my kids bump into them and the wind blows them around. I'm definately going to pick up a few more varieties of these guys.

Did you check out that link, some of the different varieties are absolutely amazing.
Also I want to get some of the "Albany pitcher Cephalous something" or other lol But it is very very cool looking too.

stillmanz said:
Also I want to get some of the "Albany pitcher Cephalous something" or other lol But it is very very cool looking too.
Yes yes! Definitly get the Cepheloutis!!! Actually, that plant is native to your little island. They are extremely slow growing (if they have a two year+ plant there, get that. It'll save you a lot of time) but are extremely beautiful and cool.

AT presentI can get a 5cm plants for about $50 Aus which is expensive but like you say they grow real slow.

Maybe for my Birthday or next week when the wife isn't looking lol

stillmanz said:
AT presentI can get a 5cm plants for about $50 Aus which is expensive but like you say they grow real slow.

Maybe for my Birthday or next week when the wife isn't looking lol

Go for when the wife's not looking....it's probably sooner than your birthday.

That's actually one of the CP's I've ALWAYS wanted to grow.

IGG what types of drosera did you keep? I can get about 25 varieties at present,I think they are more amazing then VFT or nepenthes very coolplants indeed.

These are the varieties I have at present.
Drosera capensis
Drosera coccicaulis
Drosera dielsiana (this ones a bit unwell at present)
Drosera rotundifolia

Mick

Imagine being an ant, they walkon the leaf get stuck and it slowly wraps around it.
THe inner child is very very intrigued.

well its hard to find some VFT around here still & when they have some they sell out fast :(
plus looking at all these different types of CP's ya'all are showing makes me want to just order some, since the stores around here only get the basic VFT. I cant wait to get my killing fields of CP's growing, but still to cold for plant shipment here :( (well not worth the risk killing the plants IMO)

stillz - I wonder when you're gonna do a VFT hot sauce :think::lol:

they have VFTs and pitcher plants in the stores here but they are super tiny. i actually got mom on board the other day when i told her they eat bugs...it's all about selective information :)

I'll answer tomarrow. Been working at a friends house (still there) prepping his garden. Many a pepper plkants will be planted....mwahahahaha!

stillmanz said:
IGG what types of drosera did you keep? These are the varieties I have at present.
Drosera capensis
Drosera coccicaulis
Drosera dielsiana (this ones a bit unwell at present)
Drosera rotundifolia

stillmanz said:
I'm thinking about getting a few pygmy drosera these are extremely cool and almost exclusively Australian too.
checkem out little but way cool.
http://pygmydrosera.com/gen.html
Let's see if I can remember the list...

D. binata
D. filiformis filiformis
D. capillaris
D. capensis
D. spatulata
D. rotundifolia
D. aliciae
D. adelae

As for pygme: