• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

chinense Carolina Reaper confirmed the world's hottest pepper

Apparently there is archived CCTV video footage, soon to be released. Which shows Ed dressed as a Ninja, and sneaking onto Judys highly secured Pepper Area 51. You can fill in the blanks, on what happens. But it shows Ed disappearing into thick fog of the night, skipping down the dirt road with a net full of top secret world record SH. And the rest.... is well... Guinness History.

Browning, on 14 Nov 2013 - 10:54 PM, said:
Browning said:
After speaking to Ed recently, I don't think this is correct. He insinuated as if they are packaged different between himself and joe

carolina seed from Ed of course, but joe alwaysgot angry and mentioned ed packaged everything

in this quote you stated "He insinuated as if they are packaged different between himself and joe"

the picture shows different, as well as the statement

as far as the rest, i dont have a dog in this fight, i could care less , congrats on the record the proof is in the pudding , enjoy it while it last

I'm not the kind of man to post screenshots of private messages without the other parties approval.  The way I took it was some where along the line something happened between the two. Obviously given the text under that photo it was early on in their partnership. The message I am referring to happened but just a couple of months ago.

I got some seeds for Choc bhut from Judy turns out they are Choc habalokia 30% of them had stingers on them looked like butch T s there is your stinger,,, she now has the real deal but for a long time the choc bhut was out of stock,,,if you cross a long pepper with a round pepper you can get peppers round with stingers for a phenotype if you isolate and breed for that then you get it.. the primoo gets a tail again long pepper nag a crossed with a round pepper 7 pot you get a tail,,Ed has been fooling with peppers for a long time longer than most folks on here longer than most vendors other than that dude from semillas at one time the Bangladesh region of India was Pakistan, there is your Pakistani Naga the habenero used had a sweet flavor more than likely was not the heat less variety,, so hp22 is a very hot pepper what you feed your peppers can also make them hotter as if y'all don't know that so 1,4 1,5mill is average reading of heat can I tell y'all he has had freaks got past 2.5 million will y'all say I'm full of $%*- but the man has been fooling with peppers since the late 70s and has forgotten more about peppers than y'all know he is humble keeps to him self started fooling with peppers looking for a cure for the infermity called cancer,, he is a God fearing man he gives God the glory for his sucess but i forgot belief in a higher power is not the trend now a days,,oh my barackpore I got from you Judy turned out to be a naga morich I know you will read this and I'm speaking the truth not lying noticed there was no bad review in vendors vault but I'm coming clean here, because you painted a picture as some kind of pepper authority that clearly knows way less than the record holder for all you THP members on here fixing to pounce on me have at it,, the truth hurts some times but it will set you free
My vendors in future are ,, Ed Currie ,,Jim Duffy , and Butch Taylor,,,mc dermott the rest are out there peddling peppers they know little about were they came from at all ,,, look at this as me hating THP member or Judy not really setting y'all straight ,,,, this is probably my last post y'all enjoy world record holder is the Hp22b reaper butch Taylor is a Real gentleman and is the only person that should be mad he is not at all he congradulated Ed on his success that he deserves,,,rightfully peace THP I'm out!,,,,,,,,,,,!,,,,,,,,,!

I just put a few Carolina Reaper seeds in some soil filled cups yesterday! Planning on getting a good head start on them before the growing season

I just read through this entire thread from start to finish, and all I can say is, I can't wait until someone comes up with the next one...

teejay said:

If people don't want to answer questions, they have every right to say no, but people with deep interests can be passionate, and persistent.

Isn't that a good thing? Isn't that something that could forge new friendships and perhaps collaboration in the greenhouse to do something new ...

You must be new to the Internet. :)

JK.  In general, I agree with you.  In reality, it's rarely how this all works out... usually it ends up being a mob mentality either opposing or in favor of the particular subject matter ...

Boost313 said:
From the sounds of the interview in The New Yorker. Ed has plenty more to put up. Along with Butch himself.

http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2013/11/04/131104fa_fact_Collins

I don't have time to read all of this at the moment, so have only read a portion, but so far it's a great read.  Especially the part where he cites the trouble he had getting the pepper certified as the hottest by Guinness.  He also mentioned a $650 fee for expediting the certification.  I don't know if that's different from the $10,000 being mentioned in this thread.  Also there are good comments by Jim Duffy and Butch Taylor in there.

Thanks for sharing.

I feel obligated to say something here.

In my dealings with Ed & Bill from Puckerbutt they've been nothing but honorable people.

Ed is a super nice guy who helped me
With Moruga pods when no one else had ripe ones due to poor weather. Moreover, he offered them at a fair price when he could have easily gouged me (since, again, he was the only one with ripe pods & thus had a monopoly, and I was on a tight production schedule with the kitchen already booked & was getting desperate). But Ed simply asked what I was going to pay from my other source & then, amazingly, charged me exactly that.

So anyone in here saying Ed is all about greed or $$$ has absolutely no idea what they're talking about or who Ed Currie is. That's proven beyond a doubt by my experience. He didn't owe me a thing, and he did something that wasn't his core business to help me out when we'd never done business before - and then charged me far less than he easily could have.

Ed Currie rocks. I've watched people trash him here for a year+ over this pepper, accusing him of lying over and over. And now he's been vindicated by lab testing & officially holds a new world record, yet amazingly I don't see any of the detractors here saying "my bad, I'm sorry I called an honest man a liar."

Funny how that works. Shame on those people - you know who you are.

Congrats to Ed for achieving something most of us will never be able to do - hold a world record for his hard work and perseverance.

Congratulations Ed.
I'm a believer. I bought a pack from PJ and 9 out of 11 grew up to be great producing plants that I shared with my buds and I still have 5 plants in pots growing inside now. 2 were taken out of the ground and potted for winter and the other 3 still live in the pots they were raised in.

Keep up the good work.

So I will comment now to hopefully set things straight. As some things were not stated correctly. First of all the expedited fee or fast track fee is a few hundred dollars not  $10,000. The reason the amount of $10,000 was spent was money for repeated HPLC, genetic and Horticulture documentation that has to be done over more than two years. Everytime Ed submitted data and Guinness said not good enough or you need more he had to do a lot of things over again. This included paying for testing and lab time, having a horticulturist etc make paperwork again. These people were not just doing all this work for free. So thats where the thousands come from. Now for someone to pay a few hundred dollar fee to get his stuff looked at faster is really nothing out of the norm in todays society. At most theme parks you can buy a "Fast Track" pass so you can get on the rides faster. You can pay USPS, UPS and FedEX extra to ship your package faster. When I fly Southwest I pay $12.50 each way so I can have an Early Check in and get a better seat! So Guinness charging this fee as a business and yes Guinness is a private business is not wrong. Now please don't compare it to getting a break from haveing a Government entity doing your paperwork faster for more money. We are talking about a Business saying for an extra fee you can get an extra service. Whats wrong with that???

Okay moving along now. How come the Reaper has a tail?? Well the Primo has a tail! Primo is a standard 7 Pot with a Naga Morich. Reaper is a Naga with a red hab type. Try crossing an elongated Bhut or Naga type with any rounded or block shape chinense type and you will see most of the time the Nagas influence on the other will likely cause some kind of a tail. Anyways I have seen tails show up here and there on most habs I have grown. Even orange habs. Ed's habanero type in this cross is from St. Vincents Island which is real close to Trinidad so might just be a 7 Pot type anyway. Ed says sweet habanero. Keep in mind Ed eats any hab like it's nothing so his saying sweet habanero could be a 7 Pot while mine will be an Aji Dulce!! Anyways you dont need peppers with tails to create a cross with a tail or we would not have 7 Pot Primo or the Chocolate hab type Black Stinger (Clavo/Choc Hab cross).

My observations of Reaper are this. I planted 30 in pots for seed production. One plant gave me smoother skinned pods the other 29 real Reaper looking pods. I planted 120 plants in the field. 20% died before producing. With what was left 70% produced Reaper looking pods and 30% Naga looking. All seeds were from Ed. Now does that mean Reaper lacks stability??? Well maybe but maybe not. Let me explain. Ed has recently hired a bunch of people to deseed pods etc. These are not pepper people. Most are people that could not find work. With that kind of workforce quality control can be an issue. Every year I spend hours and hours going through the best plants then sorting to get the best pods for my future seed growing. I have High School and College kids that follow a strict protocol when cleaning peppers or packaging seeds. Not going to bore you with it but some of my workers are in their 4th year. Still mistakes can be made. So as fast as Reaper mania hit I have no doubt that the best were not saved for seeds all the time. Maybe I am wrong about it's stability but now that I am doing my own seed saving so I will see this next growout. And sorry to say this but I still buy lots of seeds from Judy and others and this past year got so much shit growing out wrong it was pathetic.

So is the Reaper legit??? Well I think it is. And you all know I am pro Moruga. Guinness either believes your data or it does not. They don't hire some science guy to see if its real or possible even. But consumers believe in Guinness so Reaper will be accepted as the hottest so as a businessman I have to accept it. Now some of you grow for just fun or your just spicy consumers. If you don't believe in the Reaper then you can buy or not buy. All the negativity towards Ed or Guinness is not going to change anything. I spoke out against Pepper Joe last year when he hyped something that showed no proof and had no record. Was I wrong?? Maybe? Maybe not? After all as a consumer don't I have the right to question something?? Well now most of these old posts are being copied and pasted even repeated in magazines to make me look bad. So before some of you go to war against Ed or the Reaper know that your words may be used against you or taken out of context even. Better to just congratulate Ed for his acheivement and grow what you like to grow. The media attention this gets over the next few months will draw more people into this hobby or business of growing the hot peppers we love. And that my friends is a positive! If you like heat look for the new beers by Stone Brewery called Crime and Punishment. My chiles are in them!

Not sure why Habs can't have tails, but this Hab came off one of my Orange Hab plants just two weeks ago. Is this just some odd protrusion that should not be classified as a tail. Maybe it's an arm?

The Hot Pepper said:
I hate when people say someone is "in it for the money."
1M $$ a year what would you say Ed spent $10,000 for if Ed wasn't in it for the money or Greed? Being in Northern Cali and seeing so many MMJ growers that are only growing for money I TBH see More greedy people then most on THP.

pepperdan said:
carolina_reaper_2.jpg

Myself and Ed Currey with the first 1,000 Seed Packs. A lot of work.

just sayin
Well 1,000 seed packs - $9,990 + ;)
SL3 said:
Not sure why Habs can't have tails, but this Hab came off one of my Orange Hab plants just two weeks ago. Is this just some odd protrusion that should not be classified as a tail. Maybe it's an arm?

Maybe it's a cross with a TS??? can't see stingers on these Habs
46pg8C5.jpg

To be honest if I crossed two strains and it ended up the hottest cross ever I might not tell what it was either, but Genetics is one thin I understand and had something like this before and after Years of BS I proved I was right but I don't care if Ed tells the truth, (IMO) about the cross or not but if the genetics don't carry it it can't be shown.

Reactions: SL3
Mr. Hill said:
1M $$ a year what would you say Ed spent $10,000 for if Ed wasn't in it for the money or Greed?
So a guy who makes a living is "greedy"? Fascinating.

I've worked in horticulture. Spent years doing it, and in 2 different countries. Being a farmer isn't easy, whether it's potatoes or hot peppers. Ed works his ass off and earns a living. I don't begrudge any man his paycheck. Who are you to judge another man as "greedy" because he earns a living selling plants/seeds?

Unless you personally know the man that's a pretty weak assertion. Hell, even if you did know Ed personally it'd be classless to suggest "greed" IMHO.

I suppose it’s possible it’s a cross, but this plant was loaded with normal Habs the entire year. Then when it slowed down near the end of October, I then started getting several that were pointed at the bottom, and a few like this. I figured it might have more to do with stress or nutrition. I had one with a longer tail too. I kept this one for seed just to see what it produces. But all leave the “Reaper “politics to you guys, as everything I know about Hot Peppers I’ve learned here. 

Back