• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Carolina Reaper (HP22B) Community Grow

A few members including myself are growing seeds for this variety ASAP. I and a few others here on THP thought it would be fun to have a "community glog" strictly for this variety, a fun thread about the HP22B and growing this pepper for the first time.

I think we should start a community glog like this anytime there is a new pepper with alot of attention and alot of people growing it, possible world record holder or not. It would be fun, and this should be fun! That's why we all love this hobby is it not?

Therefore, this will be a drama-free, controversy-free, fun glog for all of us growers and others to enjoy. If you grow, please chime in. If you're growing this variety, please post pictures and chime in about your observations.

Again.. This thread is ment to be fun and informative, but mostly fun :)
Please. Pretty please with sugar on top.. lol. Keep it drama-free.
I, and many others would really appreciate this thread to stay that way.

Now lets get to growing!

IMG_3008.jpg

I went with the paper towel method for this guy just like I have with all my mid-season starts. It is far from my favorite way to germinate seeds but I'm in no hurry this time of year which is why I went this route. I've had the seeds in the paper towel for about a week now on top of my HOT5 lighting closet. The seeds should be showing root tips soon, then they will be visiting some real soil :D

How's it going for everyone else?

Brandon

WOW, um, kinda speechless. Beautiful plants!
Thank you!
Ya when all those buds turn pepper send some my way! That's awesome, I hope any of my plants look like that someday
Thanks, and I will send some so you can try. Hopefully it won't be to long now.
Looking good there, can't wait to see what the pods will look like and how well they load up. I can bet that the pods will be quite tasty.
Thanks, I'm also looking forward to tasting them. I won't eat them straight though they will be put in chilli and bbq sauce. If I'm lucky someone on here will want to make me a powder if I send enough pods.
Great update lock! Those are some happy looking plants.
Thank you!
Thanks for posting. Those plants are gorgeous! I can't wait to see some pod picks when those plants start podding up. You should have one hell of a harvest.
Thanks! I can only hope the harvest is good, don't want to jinx myself lol.

Here comes my weekly update, I am going to try and update this at least every week.

The three in the back are from my first batch that I had much promblems with.

The rest are from my second batch which I started in the rapid rooters on Oct 12th, and i got 17 of the 20 to germinated in 5-7 days. I mailed 2 of them to a fellow
board member, and gave 2 to my local hydro stores.

The 8 in the first 2 rows, Ijust transplanted into the roots 707 soil with, top .5" of coco last Sunday (Nov. 11, 2012), and got there first does of fertlizer yesterday.

The 3rd row consist of the first 2 in roots organic coco, and the new 2 are in 707 soil with coco on top. They were put in pots between Oct 22-27, I can not
remeber excatly.

The coco grow will be grown 100% indoors, using a new nutrient line samples I got. So i am curious to see how they go.

So I will try to update again next Sunday sometime.

8197865454_4cb5f0d88a_b.jpg

im the happy recipient of those 2 seedlings... they got a little squished.. but is doing well and is standing straight now
BDF30940-4686-4B14-8384-85B9343A4EDA-1439-0000005B8949DA85.jpg

seedling #2
74322C18-EA99-4F43-A9D1-266DD73A2980-1439-0000005B7E24AD54.jpg

i gave a couple seeds to my hydro store....
1CC3388D-046F-4986-B835-A447F4B7A9D1-1439-0000005B56053210.jpg

Hey all,

My last round was abandoned due to an aphid invasion. However, I recently started 6 new seeds.... with one hundred percent germination after two weeks !

- Mega

Recap: I planted 2 reaper seeds in the first week if September. Both sprouted and I kept one in the window sill and the other outside on the balcony. The inside plant far outpaced the outdoor one, but was a bit leggy. I got a light (4' 4 bulb t5 HO) and moved the window sill one under the light.

Here is the outside plant today:
dJnozl.jpg

Some new growth recently, but I definitely put it outside too early.

The one under the light:
We7g9l.jpg

sr1kal.jpg

The leaves are very bumpy on this plant and there are a few brown spots. I've only used fish emulsion and seaweed extract so far, but I think I'm going to back off. Here is a close-up of a newer leaf:
IokxZl.jpg

Is that normal or not? I'm very much a beginner and this is one of the first things I've grown from seed, so any advice will help.

Geeezzz, I still haven't received seeds for either one! After 4 months or so I guess I'll have to go underground (tic) to get them!

I just planted my Primo seeds the other day. Yes there are seeds germing in there and no it isn't an empty pot with a Primo tag in it. :D

IMG_3878.jpg

Seeds sown 10/14/12. HP22B and Primo:
Those are some healthy looking plants Doc, very nice!

Hey Lock, could we have an update?

Here you go. I still haven't seen any pods, but my bhut plant just started producing pods like crazy so it shouldn't be to much longer.

I got rid of the smaller plant in coco it's fungus came back so that guy and my BT had to go. At least now I have enough room for the bigger plants.

4ft tall from the floor and 4ft across at the top.
MOazV.jpg

Sorry imgur won't let me upload any images after I did this one. I will edit with more pics when I can.

Thanks scratch, as nice as it is my bhut and 7 pot look way healthier. I think these reapers need a lot more cal mag, the leaves want to curl up at the edges. The one in the dwc doesn't seem to have that problem and I add more cal mag to that one.

More pics. Top of the plant.
xFowB.jpg

A couple closer shots, There are flowers everywhere.
GEI4J.jpg

w8Ugf.jpg

I hand pollinated 50+ flowers today. Not sure if this next pic counts as a pod, but I noticed a few that looked like this.
RxDmZ.jpg

Yep that's the reaper plant, hopefully it will be loaded in the next week or so then now that it's starting to produce.

Eager to see if you get any pods that look like the pods the creator and marketing guy were passing out. A guy down here has pods that look completely different than the original pods that were posted..

while you are on the topic of the seller guy.
did he ever release how the plant was bred and what generation the seeds were? just curious, and havent kept up on all the hooplah regarding this particular plant.

Back