• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Carolina Reaper (HP22B) Community Grow

A few members including myself are growing seeds for this variety ASAP. I and a few others here on THP thought it would be fun to have a "community glog" strictly for this variety, a fun thread about the HP22B and growing this pepper for the first time.

I think we should start a community glog like this anytime there is a new pepper with alot of attention and alot of people growing it, possible world record holder or not. It would be fun, and this should be fun! That's why we all love this hobby is it not?

Therefore, this will be a drama-free, controversy-free, fun glog for all of us growers and others to enjoy. If you grow, please chime in. If you're growing this variety, please post pictures and chime in about your observations.

Again.. This thread is ment to be fun and informative, but mostly fun :)
Please. Pretty please with sugar on top.. lol. Keep it drama-free.
I, and many others would really appreciate this thread to stay that way.

Now lets get to growing!

IMG_3008.jpg

I went with the paper towel method for this guy just like I have with all my mid-season starts. It is far from my favorite way to germinate seeds but I'm in no hurry this time of year which is why I went this route. I've had the seeds in the paper towel for about a week now on top of my HOT5 lighting closet. The seeds should be showing root tips soon, then they will be visiting some real soil :D

How's it going for everyone else?

Brandon

The more primo pods you post in this thread, the more google will populate reaper search images with primo pics. Patrick already pointed that out.
Maybe edit the photos with a caption that says 7 Pot Primo and re-upload them?

Or why even post them in the first place? After all this was suppose to be a community grow for the reaper, until someone (pepperlover) decided to compare it with something else. So why are we posting primo, or other no reaper photos here in the first place.

The whole point of this thread was to compare each other with the growing the reaper but instead instead pepperlover suggested the primo (which she hasn't posted in a long time that I have saw),

I got an idea, how bout you people that want to see primo pictures post a community grow for the primo and post all your pictures in there. Hell thats the easy thing.

That was the assumption I was hoping my post would lead to.

Reapers are definitely not turning out to be primos.....so keep them separate.

Joshua from your pictures you are doing a great job raising your reapers, actually looks like the "sale promo" pods.

Very nice.

That was the assumption I was hoping my post would lead to.

Reapers are definitely not turning out to be primos.....so keep them separate.

Joshua from your pictures you are doing a great job raising your reapers, actually looks like the "sale promo" pods.

Very nice.

Armac;

Thanks for the kind complements, but I didnt take care of those the full-time. Right now they are sitting at the hydro store i visit all the time. So most of the credit goes to them, I tend to take them plants here and there as they usually give me discounts all the time. So I can't really take all the credit for those pods. o Lou over at HTG Supply should get most of the credit for the caring of that plant. I thought I had said it my most post here, but guess not. I know the one my faceboook page I did.

I Plan on taking my camera there tomorrow to get better pictures of it.

Now my plants are flowering and it looks like i have a pod or two that are showing up.

Joshuap2000, i may just grow out my reaper seeds i got from puckerbutt now there is proof of an actual grow with pods that look like marketing. Also noticed the Eva-Dry dehumidifier in the background! I just bought that a week ago. How is it performing when removing humidity? How often does it fill up? Thanks!

I've been following this thread, its interesting stuff. I have 2 cents to add.

Don't know if anyone has said this already about the environmental conditions. Wasn't it stated, (truthfully or not I don't know?) that in order for the reaper to be stable in a short number years it had to have more generations than a season allows, therefore was grown in a greenhouse?

If it was stabilised in a greenhouse with constant temps and humidity then doesn't that mean there is more of a chance the seeds will produce strange looking pods when grown in everyones home environment? Obviously the reaper was stabilised with all possible speed in order to get the product to market, and that means growing it in an optimal environment.

So maybe the math that was discussed concerning the amount of seeds that won't grow true needs to be revised upwards. Obviously if the reaper had been stabilised in varying environments any plants that would be sensitive to humidity or cold would have been bred out, but I assume it wasn't.

If that's all correct then these not-reapers that people are getting will be quite common. The only thing to see for sure is for more pods to grow and pictures posted.

Aerogarden guy had a moruga pod.....not reaper.

I would have to say this post may be confusing to some here. Was to me.
The pic of the Moruga pod that was thought to be a Reaper is in a totally different Topic.

The member that posted the pic in that topic thought the pod he had was a cross from a Moruga and a Reaper.
He never said it was a Reaper.
A few people questioned about it and that member posted he was confused about cross breeding.
He never clearly stated it was a Reaper pod but what he got after he crossed his Moruga plant with pollen from a Reaper plant he has.

As for the pic of a Reaper pod that the Aerogarden fellow grew....
KD posted about it back in like post #323 in this topic.
Here it is read that he is growing Reapers in his Aerogarden and and is now getting pods.
That Reaper pod pic was not questioned as to being something different.
Post #338 shows his Reaper plants in the aerogarden that he posted,

This post here of mine may all sound confusing but this post quoted above is not related to this Topic.
Just seems to add more confusion to this Topic about the Reaper.

Joshuap2000, i may just grow out my reaper seeds i got from puckerbutt now there is proof of an actual grow with pods that look like marketing. Also noticed the Eva-Dry dehumidifier in the background! I just bought that a week ago. How is it performing when removing humidity? How often does it fill up? Thanks!

I had thought I posted it, but I guess not, but the plant is the one I had started and took to my local hydro store to grow, I want to see how they did since they use liquid fertilizers (i 90% slow release), So they used the Soul Synthetics line and some the compost tea they give away every Tuesday.

PepperJam, asked him about it, and he said it kind of sucked and that was it, LOL

Here are some pictures I took today, I am sorry as i do not have a steady handy so some are just a hair blurry. So i took several and and overall one of the plant. It don't look like nothing likes lock big plant, but its in airpot that is approx 1.8 gallons big.

Reaper:

8407312708_087b9c6e32_b.jpg

8406217493_8a16d7a1e5_b.jpg

8407311730_28bf9ac331_b.jpg

8407311746_f9a07ae35e_b.jpg

Back