• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Carolina Reaper (HP22B) Community Grow

A few members including myself are growing seeds for this variety ASAP. I and a few others here on THP thought it would be fun to have a "community glog" strictly for this variety, a fun thread about the HP22B and growing this pepper for the first time.

I think we should start a community glog like this anytime there is a new pepper with alot of attention and alot of people growing it, possible world record holder or not. It would be fun, and this should be fun! That's why we all love this hobby is it not?

Therefore, this will be a drama-free, controversy-free, fun glog for all of us growers and others to enjoy. If you grow, please chime in. If you're growing this variety, please post pictures and chime in about your observations.

Again.. This thread is ment to be fun and informative, but mostly fun :)
Please. Pretty please with sugar on top.. lol. Keep it drama-free.
I, and many others would really appreciate this thread to stay that way.

Now lets get to growing!

IMG_3008.jpg

I went with the paper towel method for this guy just like I have with all my mid-season starts. It is far from my favorite way to germinate seeds but I'm in no hurry this time of year which is why I went this route. I've had the seeds in the paper towel for about a week now on top of my HOT5 lighting closet. The seeds should be showing root tips soon, then they will be visiting some real soil :D

How's it going for everyone else?

Brandon

looking at all the great pods & plants, I wish I grew some this year.

great job guys & gals...

it will be on top of my list for next year.

Just joined the forum, but I`ve been watching this thread for 5 months. I got CR seeds from Ed Currie and have small seedlings right now. The germination rate was 90% for 10 seeds sowed. I also have 7-pot primo from a friend who got them from Primo, germination rate was 70% for 10 seeds. All germination was between 8 and 18 days, using an enclosed incubator set to 80°F and 75% humidity, with an internal circulating fan. All have just started their first true leaves, so it`s going to be quite a while before I have anything to show, unfortunately. When they are ready, I`ll put half in pots and half in the ground and see what happens. Here in southern California the night time temps are now in the mid-50`s, so I`ll repot soon and start to harden off the plants.

I`m assuming we all have the HP22B-a-strain here, is that correct? Is anyone growing any of the other strains b-i ? Also, can someone tell me what was crossed to get HP22B? I`ve read it`s a Pakastani Naga crossed with a St Vincent Hab., but don`t know if that`s right or not. For the 7-pot primo, I believe it was a Naga from Bangladesh crossed with a 7-pot, but is that right?

Sorry for the newbie question, but I have to learn somewhere and that interweb thing is confusing ;-)

I`m assuming we all have the HP22B-a-strain here, is that correct? Is anyone growing any of the other strains b-i ? Also, can someone tell me what was crossed to get HP22B? I`ve read it`s a Pakastani Naga crossed with a St Vincent Hab., but don`t know if that`s right or not. For the 7-pot primo, I believe it was a Naga from Bangladesh crossed with a 7-pot, but is that right?

Sorry for the newbie question, but I have to learn somewhere and that interweb thing is confusing ;-)
Hi Nigel. I'm not sure anyone knows the exact mix that made up the HP22B pods except Ed Currie. I think I speak for most people when I say that all questions are welcome. As far as I know only the Carolina Reaper has been realeased to the public. But why not check out puckerbuttpeppercompany.com for any info and latest releases.

Loads of ripe pods coming from my plants now... all pretty consistent

Your pods are top notch bro! How are your Primos coming along? I can't wait for a side by side comparison of pods with a taste test. I hope you have isolated a pod or two for seeds.

Hi Dshlogg, thanks man! Primos are unfortunately taking their sweet time :( My Brains have landed though. Super excited about those. I can't help feeling these CR's may be a cross between Brainstsrain's and Naga King Jolokia's... LOL woa... a side by side taste test CR and Primo... man! Not sure I could keep that down... but sounds like challenge :D

Keeping seeds for sure :D got quite a few now... next season is going to be a hot one lol

Back