• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Carolina Reaper (HP22B) Community Grow

A few members including myself are growing seeds for this variety ASAP. I and a few others here on THP thought it would be fun to have a "community glog" strictly for this variety, a fun thread about the HP22B and growing this pepper for the first time.

I think we should start a community glog like this anytime there is a new pepper with alot of attention and alot of people growing it, possible world record holder or not. It would be fun, and this should be fun! That's why we all love this hobby is it not?

Therefore, this will be a drama-free, controversy-free, fun glog for all of us growers and others to enjoy. If you grow, please chime in. If you're growing this variety, please post pictures and chime in about your observations.

Again.. This thread is ment to be fun and informative, but mostly fun :)
Please. Pretty please with sugar on top.. lol. Keep it drama-free.
I, and many others would really appreciate this thread to stay that way.

Now lets get to growing!

IMG_3008.jpg

I went with the paper towel method for this guy just like I have with all my mid-season starts. It is far from my favorite way to germinate seeds but I'm in no hurry this time of year which is why I went this route. I've had the seeds in the paper towel for about a week now on top of my HOT5 lighting closet. The seeds should be showing root tips soon, then they will be visiting some real soil :D

How's it going for everyone else?

Brandon

I want to clarify something, yeah egg on my face. But hell my first year growing any Chinense. I looked back on my glog on page 6, I have a note about a Red Caribbean being planted in the row of Reapers. I posted a pic on page 38 in this glog of that plant thinking it was a Reaper.

Sorry for the mistake...

Here are the most recent pods off of my HP22B: 

I think the non-shiny one is a Dorset Naga that slipped into the HP22B pile.  Regardless, definitely not the target phenotype.  My Primo, on the other hand, has made really cool pods, with tails on pretty much every pod. 

I'll continue growing it, though.  Maybe, the pods will "normalize."  My Peach Bhut has gone through three phenotypes before setting pods that looked like Bhuts. 

OK..I took some better quality photos.  Plant's 2 and 3 look like they might be legit. I sure hope so!  Plant one has pods bigger than golf balls already.

First Plant
peppers001.jpg

peppers003.jpg

Second plant
peppers005.jpg

Third plant
peppers006.jpg

4th plant
peppers007.jpg

peppers008.jpg

TylerInNiagara said:

How warm is it in your Greenhouse? I'm just starting to get pods here in southern Ontario.

Hi, I have an in the ground dirt grow in South Texas, I have a 20x40 frame with a 30% sun shade because the garden is in full sun. The last few weeks have averaged 90-94, and are now heading towards 94-100...which is not a good thing.
Because we have a sand based soil and the temps are getting crazy I'm having to water almost every day now. I do expect production (setting pods) to cease soon until Sept. when things cool off, That's when I expect my best harvest.  My fault I should have sown in early December..

omega said:
OK..I took some better quality photos.  Plant's 2 and 3 look like they might be legit. I sure hope so!  Plant one has pods bigger than golf balls already.

Your #4 looks like my red headed step child. Two of mine definitely have the correct phenotype, the other two I'm waiting on to see were they're at..

Like Jamie said, there's a lot of variability in these pods.  I have plants from seeds from PB, PJ, and RFC.  It will be interesting to see how much those vary.  They're still pretty small, though, so I may not get anything until fall.  I'm hoping for this mild start to summer to continue :pray: , in which case maybe I'll get some production through the summer.

Agreed Sawyer, i have a reaper in a 10 gallon, 5 gallon and raised bed all from puckerbutt direct and they all have different looking pods.

10 gallon pot
null_zpsc28f4b93.jpg

raised bed:
null_zpsb158bc4d.jpg

As far as heat, its very very hot but taste is so-so. Got too wrapped up into the hype. I like the red brain strain much better heat-wise and taste-wise. I'll probably be auctioning off my pods :)

What will be interesting will be to see what the seeds of the bumpy gnarly pods with stingers produce when sown. I have two that I'm real happy with. Time will tell and I'll be sharing...

Edit: none ripe yet...

BakersPeppers said:
Glad to see everyone starting to get pods :) Ive picked hundreds of pounds of Carolina Reaper pods so far this year...and i will say that they are a MEAN pepper!!!

Dale Jr
Want me to post a picture of your pod? ;)

Back