• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Carolina Reaper (HP22B) Community Grow

A few members including myself are growing seeds for this variety ASAP. I and a few others here on THP thought it would be fun to have a "community glog" strictly for this variety, a fun thread about the HP22B and growing this pepper for the first time.

I think we should start a community glog like this anytime there is a new pepper with alot of attention and alot of people growing it, possible world record holder or not. It would be fun, and this should be fun! That's why we all love this hobby is it not?

Therefore, this will be a drama-free, controversy-free, fun glog for all of us growers and others to enjoy. If you grow, please chime in. If you're growing this variety, please post pictures and chime in about your observations.

Again.. This thread is ment to be fun and informative, but mostly fun :)
Please. Pretty please with sugar on top.. lol. Keep it drama-free.
I, and many others would really appreciate this thread to stay that way.

Now lets get to growing!

IMG_3008.jpg

I went with the paper towel method for this guy just like I have with all my mid-season starts. It is far from my favorite way to germinate seeds but I'm in no hurry this time of year which is why I went this route. I've had the seeds in the paper towel for about a week now on top of my HOT5 lighting closet. The seeds should be showing root tips soon, then they will be visiting some real soil :D

How's it going for everyone else?

Brandon

armac said:
All growing in the same area with the same care?

then according to all the hype, they should look the same.....right?
According to Jim Duffy on facebook it's all about the care for the plant that makes them spit out the right shaped pods.  Right soil, ph water and nutes.  I think Jim is full of shit after seeing this post from dew.

Trippa said:
Where is the usually chatty pepperjoe in all this ...after all he hyped it??
I just noticed his name in the viewer list at the bottom of the page, a few minutes ago.......but apparenty he didn't leave a comment

I have about 9 plants, all growing very slowly.....someday I'll have pods to post....someday....
Just curious....

So you can trademark a name....ok...no problem.

But to patent the variety, doesn't it have to be stable????
I thought i read that the plant patent authorities have to grow out a couple generations to verify stability and uniqueness....
Seems like that isn't even possible for this pepper right now....

So how can they stop folks from selling pods, seed, sauces etc?
Is it just because of the name?
If so then it would be easy to just call it something else.... like "unstable grim reaper tricked me out of money, but still hot as hell peppers"

jedisushi06 said:
According to Jim Duffy on facebook it's all about the care for the plant that makes them spit out the right shaped pods.  Right soil, ph water and nutes.  I think Jim is full of shit after seeing this post from dew.

+1 on that!

My take on all of this is possibly the following happened:

• Poor seed gathering
  • Not ready for prime time (not stable)
  • Ran out of seeds and threw in just anything
Now with all the variations you decide. I see no reason why we should be seeing Hab like, Bhut like, and "creaper like" pods. Won't use the "R" in front anymore...OMG it's patented...

I will say this, 4 out of 5 that lived are what I would call "true". All are vigorous plants. Your mileage may vary....

You can always out-cross the Reaper and name it something else.  

You can Give all you want away and just charge a S&H fee!  Like Free 1 lb of Carolina Reaper (HP22B)
 just pay S&H of $29.99  LOL It cost me a lot of time and gas to get to the P.O. now days  lol   

MuRCa2K.jpg

On of my plants from PJ seeds just now finally put out a pod.  I think it's the only plant I have in the ground that hadn't produced yet, and it was my first chinense in the ground.  It seems to have the advertized shape. 

All of the pods coming from the seed I took out of the smooth reaper that Lock sent me(for free, out of the kindness of his heart, don't sue him) have this shape:
aGuguKG.jpg

Pretty odd and I don't think I've seen anyone else's look like this. Every pod on the plant looks just like that.  I haven't taken many pictures lately, too busy trying to harvest before it gets dark when I visit the garden these days.

for those that know Melissa77754 she can grow pretty good... she got the seeds from me that i got from PepperJ....

she noticed out of all the plants.. this was a finicky plant..

i

TBH looking at the peppers people shown of the Carolina Reaper with my Novice knowledge of Supper hots, looks to me like a three way cross, as I see Pheno's of Habs, TS and an Indian strain.   With everyone's post starting to make me think the Reapers wasn't so much of a Crossed pepper then an open pollinated pepper that  was grown out.  I like a saying "Genetics don't lie"  but it does make the truth hard to find some times lol 

semillas said:
Here are the pods from different plants:

reaper_1.jpg

reaper_4.jpg

reaper_5.jpg

reaper_12.jpg

reaper_18.jpg

reaper_19.jpg

I guess, plant 19 is the original  :rolleyes:

Tonight I tested the heat of the different types against 7pot SR, Brainstrain and Bhut jolokia X Trinidad Douglah brown
Test setup see: http://youtu.be/Altveu4NK5k

Results:

1. Heat

Plant 12 = 7pot SR 
Plant 4   > Plant 19
Pant 4, Plant 19 << Plant 12
Plant 12 > Plant 5
Plant 5 >> Plant 4
Plant 18 > Plant 1
Plant 18 = Plant 12
7pot SR > Brainstrain
Plant 18 > Brainstrain
7pot SR = Plant 18
Brainstrain > Bhut X Douglah Brown

2. Taste

No differences in taste between plant 1, 5, 12, 18
Plant 4 has a taste like standard Habanero
Plant 19 no good aroma, bad taste

I will eliminate 4,5,19 today and check the other plants (2,3,6-11,13-17) if they resemble what I preliminary would say is true to type (small round shaped, wrinkled red pods with very rough surface, heat like 7pot SR)

If the crossing came up during the final production growout there is good chance that some of the plants are no crosses.

I will seperate a few good plants and remove all open flowers and pods, because they could be crossed in between the line, then wait for new pods, extract seeds and start a new growout.

Sounds easy, is easy, but requires time and space and costs me in the range of around 1000 US$

Peter

Back