• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Cartz's 2013-14 Glog - Video update - Waaay overdue

Hey all, I find myself with a couple of free hours and thought I would finally contribute something to the forums that I've been lurking around for the last 12 months.

My motivation for posting a grow log this season is simple - I need to restore some pride. To be blunt, last summer was my first time growing and I sucked pretty hard. I did somehow manage to pull a few pods amidst the carnage of being double teamed by my own stupidity and mother nature, but I'm determined to be more successful this season.

Given that I am still very much a rookie, please don't hesitate to offer any advice or criticism you have if you see me doing anything dumb on here.   

Living in Brisbane (AUS), I wanted to get things off to an early start this season. I purchased my seed stock from a couple of local vendors (JungleRain and the delightfully half-mad folk at The Hippy Seed Company) in early June, together with a couple of small heated propagators. I decided on a 100% jiffy pellet based propagation this year, simply because sitting on my couch with a steaming kettle and a bowl seemed like a cosier option than sitting on the floor up to my wrists in dirt filling up seed cells. 

On 28 June 2013 I planted the following seeds (4 per jiffy):

Biker Billy Jalapeno
Mucho Nacho Jalapeno
Bulgarian Carrot
Aji Lemon
Tabasco
Hot Fish
Super Chilli
Kanthari
Goatsweed
Orange Manzano
Scarlet Lantern
Choc Habanero
White Devils Tongue
Fatalii
Bahamian Goat Pepper
Bih Jolokia
Bhut Jolokia x Mayan Red
THSC Naga 7
Trinidad Scorpion Moruga
Trinidad Scorpion Butch T
THSC Trinidad Scorpion Chocolate 
7-Pod Primo x Choc Habanero f3
7-Pod Jonah
7-Pod Brainstrain

The jiffys were kept in a heated propagator with all the air vents closed in the dank spare bedroom. I resisted my usual OCD urge to look at them every 5 minutes and only checked on them twice a day to try and keep the temp constant. The $2 thermometer told me it stayed between 28-30 degrees in there. 

5rs2gat.jpg

Turns out the heated propagator was a good investment as I didn't have to wait nearly as long for some hooks as I did last season (when they just lived in a container under the sink). The next shot was taken 7 days after planting:

2M5eDwy.jpg

It was 10 days after planting, and 4 days after the first hooks came through that I learnt my next lesson - I probably should have taken those jiffys that had sprouted straight out into some light. But I didn't, and they got reeeeaaaally leggy, real fast haha:

pPb8w73.jpg

10 days after sowing the seeds, and 4 days after the first hooks popped through, I decided to sow some more. There were a few different species I still hadn't planted, plus I was worried about the longevity of a few of the really leggy, pale seedlings. So on 8 July 2013 I planted the following (again 4 seeds per jiffy):

Biker Billy Jalapeno
Mucho Nacho Jalapeno
Aji Lemon
Orange Cobra
De arbol Blood
Blondie
Naga Morich x Tabasco
Bhut Jolokia
Pimenta de Neyde
7-Pod Jonah x Trinidad Yellow Scotch Bonnet (called a 'Nebru' by THSC)

I had pretty good germination rates for most of this second batch, with most species popping up between 7 and 10 days. However, by 23 July 2013 I decided what the heck and gave a few more of the slower varieties seeds a 24 hour chamomile tea soak before burying them. Interestingly, the only varieties that the soak reduced the germination time of by more then a day were the Moruga (from 9 to 6 days) and the Jonah (from 13 to 7 days). Don't know how typical this is?

KRIoodR.jpg

Here's a shot of the seedlings warming up in a sunny window taken about 30 July 2013. They are mostly looking pretty good and their will to live seems to have overcome my early negligence in letting them get so leggy. There's already some nice variegation in the first true leaves on the Hot Fish, although I'm sure that's more to do with the quality of JungleRain's seed stock than anything I've done:

41rWdPl.jpg

It was about the time of this pic that I had to start thinking about giving them some more room to grow. It's still mid-winter so there's no way they were going outside and I didn't have anywhere I could keep their feet warm yet. I started researching grow lights on the forums and was just totally overwhelmed by the amount of tech-jargon and seemingly contradictory information on there. I kinda gave up and just decided that any light would be better then none so I went to the local electrical wholesaler and picked up a couple of 38w fluoro's for only $20 a pop. I thought they were a steal compared to some of the prices I had seen. 1 trip to Bunnings and 2 hours of internet electrical wiring research later I had a very simple, rustic, but (hopefully) workable solution. They sit in the window of my north facing balcony so they get plenty of natural light already, and will hopefully appreciate just a little heat boost from the fluoro's until September when I'll move them outside.

M1McSTL.jpg

8cqcgKl.jpg

All things considered, my seedlings all seem fairly happy and I THINK I'm off to an ok start for my second season. I should note that I still have 0% germination on the following varieties, which is bit of a downer:

Bhut Jolokia x Mayan Red
Brainstrain
Bih Jolokia
Bulgarian Carrot

Any recommendations on how long I should keep them in the propagator until I give up on them?

Well that's about it, apologies for this first Glog entry being retrospective, but I'll be keeping it current now that I've got it up and running.

Thanks for checking out my Glog and please feel free to comment/criticise/enquire... :dance:

He's away on a trip at the moment, last I spoke to him. Unfortunately he may not have good news for us either. He was battling a broadmite infestation which devoured a good quantity of his plants. He'll be back soon and hopefully he has something to show! I have learned alot from this great man.

Sarge said:
He's away on a trip at the moment, last I spoke to him. Unfortunately he may not have good news for us either. He was battling a broadmite infestation which devoured a good quantity of his plants. He'll be back soon and hopefully he has something to show! I have learned alot from this great man.
Oh really? DAMN!!! 'The plants were looking great. Bloody mites! Is there anyway you can nuke them? Even if nasties are involved?

I think the best method is prevention. I think that silica stuff I forgot the name starts with d? You put that into the top of the soil and they wont get a chance to crawl there way through since it shreds them.

You can use chemicals to kill them too but alot of people try and avoid chems on fruit bearing plants. I think the only other way is isolation and stripping of the plants. Apparently they're a challenge to beat.

Ahh right. I'm not sure what it the product you are referring to is. I have never had mites down here in melbourne. Just bad aphids.

They sound like a massive pain. Hope he can sort it out.

Hey guys, I got back yesterday from my sneaky little holiday. Had a great week fishing with the wife and my grandad. I really cherish the time spent with him now that he's nudging 85. For a man of his age, who has recovered from both a stroke and a broken back (after falling out of a mango tree!) in the last 5 years, he is in great shape and still loves nothing more than jumping in the boat and going for a fish with family. 

These are a few pics all taken from the beach house that grandad built back in the 50's. As you can see, it's pretty much paradise, and with only 12 residences permitted on the island it should stay that way. I've been holidaying there my entire life and will hopefully continue to for the rest of it. Spring is usually the best time of year to catch whiting up there, and this trip was no exception. Got 185 big whiting, plus the usual numbers of bream, flathead and estuary cod. Also got 8 mud crabs, but they were not as plentiful as they usually are...

2013-10-08105604_zpsa0f6f283.jpg

2013-10-08122611_zps6d88950d.jpg

Can't wait to get stuck into all those delicious whiting fillets! Now to come up with a few chilli recipes to accompany them.. :drooling:

As for my plants, the mites had been getting into them hard and I'm sad to say they are no longer the picture perfect specimens they once were. However I gave them a double dose of treatment before I left and I'm happy to say that it appears to have worked as there's now plenty of new growth starting to come on again...PHEW! I will probably lose 1 or 2 plants, but I've got some to spare so I can live with that. It's a constant battle with pests in this climate, but I'll persevere and am positive I'll still have a decent season.

I'm going to go clean things up out there today and I'll take some pics for a proper glog update sometime in the next 24 hours.

Thanks for stopping in :)

Man that looks awesome, what an awesome place to get away at, have a fish, and relax. Sounds like you had an awesome time with the family.

Also good to hear you've got those mites under control, they sound quite devastating. Looks like were getting some of that hot weather. 35c weathers in the middle of spring isn't a good thing, tomorrow is expected to push the high 30's. Really not a fan of this weather!

Look forward to your up coming pics!

Thanks Sarge, yeah I am really lucky to have such a beautiful and secluded holiday spot. Doesn't hurt that the fishing is normally off the hook too ;) It certainly took my mind off those mites for a few days.

I did a fair bit of 'pruning' this morning, and found mites on the underside of some of the healthy leaves I inspected, which is a worry. Looks like they are all in for another double dose of the mite soap.  

Despite the mites, I'll definitely have some good news pics as well...a lot of my new varieties are starting to put on some flower buds which is great. Stay tuned for pics.

As for the weather, it's still stinking hot up here as well. I'm actually scared about how bad summer is going to get. Not just for the plants, but for us humans as well! Hydration will be the key... :beer:

Yeah, one or two days of heat I don't mind but hot damn, them heat waves aren't going to be pleasant.

Does hydrogen peroxide work on broad mites? If they're as small as you suggest, I think a leaf spray of diluted hydrogen peroxide(3% solution @ 1:4 ratio) should see the solution oxidize on them and kill them off the bat, considering their size. If you've got some, try it on the leaves which have them mites on the back, if you hear it fizzing, they're cooking! Its a organic method and is quite safe for the plant. The only catch is some suggest the 3% you buy are stabilized with other chemicals so may not be food grade, but the food grade stuff is available but not that cheap. Ive contacted Fauldings, they make the 3% stuff down here, still have not heard back from their reps if the stuff is mixed with chems or prediluted. Surely if its safe enough to put into our open wounds, it should be safe enough for the plants. Some guy on the internet suggests tasting it and if its metallic, then its probably got additives in it.

My other tray of seedlings got swarmed with fungus gnats. My watering regime was MUCH harsher but still they got in there. I lifted the lid and about 10 flew out. Alot of the seedlings in there look dwarfed, the first leaves are absolutely tiny and some just look, excuse the language, really fucked up. Gonna try the jiffy pellets next, got 50 here I got off eBay which are PH buffed and ready to roll. I might try some of the seeds I've had no success with and see how they come up.

Sarge said:
Does hydrogen peroxide work on broad mites? If they're as small as you suggest, I think a leaf spray of diluted hydrogen peroxide(3% solution @ 1:4 ratio) should see the solution oxidize on them and kill them off the bat, considering their size. If you've got some, try it on the leaves which have them mites on the back, if you hear it fizzing, they're cooking! Its a organic method and is quite safe for the plant. The only catch is some suggest the 3% you buy are stabilized with other chemicals so may not be food grade, but the food grade stuff is available but not that cheap. Ive contacted Fauldings, they make the 3% stuff down here, still have not heard back from their reps if the stuff is mixed with chems or prediluted. Surely if its safe enough to put into our open wounds, it should be safe enough for the plants. Some guy on the internet suggests tasting it and if its metallic, then its probably got additives in it. 

I don't know how effective H202 is against broad mites. I know it's good for bacterial issues and the like, but even if it did kill them I would still have the same issue as I do with the mite soap, which is that it works well but only if I get direct contact with the mites. And therein lies the difficulty when you have more than half a dozen plants - it becomes a massively onerous task to ensure that you've got a good covering under every single leaf. I just don't think a quick fix exists for these blighters. Oh well...at least I appreciate my pods more for all the effort that goes into them haha.
Update time.

So yep, dealing with a few mite issues thanks to the very hot start to Spring this year...but life goes on. The good news is that a lot of my new varieties are putting out flower buds now, and there's not much more exciting than watching pods develop on a plant you haven't grown before.

First up is the White Devils Tongue. This plant is putting out a heap of buds and is fast becoming one of my favourites. I'm digging its growth habit and it also seems pest resistant. Win/win.

20131010_083300_zpsd4ced7aa.jpg

Next up is the Naga Morich x Tabasco. It's still putting on growth at a nice rate and has just started to put on its first flower buds 

20131010_083353_zpse40d0830.jpg

I haven't put up a pic of the 7Pod Jonah for a while. It was a slow starter but is now trying to catch up with the others

20131010_083537_zpsd6772352.jpg

This is my little Aji Lemon from last season. It ripened some pods over winter that tasted like soapy dirt, so hopefully its new set of Spring pods taste a lot better. They do look a bit better

20131010_083845_zps4f15fdaf.jpg

The Biker Billy showing off the first pods for this season

20131010_084107_zps66ca4792.jpg

Token flower shot from this season's Aji Lemon. The baccatums I planted this season have put everything else to shame in terms of growth rate

20131010_083923_zps90e35f12.jpg

The Chocolate Habanero is getting vertical and putting on a few flowers

20131010_084143_zpsaa618fbd.jpg

The Hot Fish looking as sexy as ever. I don't think you can even call it variegation when those leaves are all pure white

20131010_084244_zpsbbf925a8.jpg

The Fatalii has started getting vertical too, and is also pumping out a few flower buds

20131010_084435_zps8726c8e8.jpg

The Bahamian Goat Pepper is looking sturdy as hell. This is probably the other standout in terms of growth habit. More than a few flowers coming on too 

20131010_084412_zps45629a57.jpg

That's it for now folks. Given that I've got plenty of flowers coming out hopefully I'll have a few baby pods setting for the next photo update. Cheers!

Look awesome dude, especially considering the wave of broadmites that hit.

That Hot Fish plant looks awesome, thats a really unique looking plant, very impressive!

Shame to hear your last batch of Aji's tasted like soapy dirt, strange, I always thought they were a consistently well flavoured chilli, good heat with a citrus flavour.

Is that fatali a 2 in 1 in the pot? They look like they're doing really well. Hopefully those flowers hold, the weather is stable and we can see some pods on your plants soon!

Sarge said:
Look awesome dude, especially considering the wave of broadmites that hit.

That Hot Fish plant looks awesome, thats a really unique looking plant, very impressive!

Shame to hear your last batch of Aji's tasted like soapy dirt, strange, I always thought they were a consistently well flavoured chilli, good heat with a citrus flavour.

Is that fatali a 2 in 1 in the pot? They look like they're doing really well. Hopefully those flowers hold, the weather is stable and we can see some pods on your plants soon!

Cheers Sarge. I grew a heap of ornamentals last year and regretted it when I realised how crap they tasted. The Hot Fish was an easy substitute for something that still caught the eye but was better eating. And a lot of people really like Aji lemons (me included) and I got some great eating pods off it earlier in the season, but when winter rolled in I kinda neglected it and it really let me know through the pods haha. Hoping it has now come good again. Yeah there are 2 Fatalii in that pot...I've got doubles in about 80% of my pots. Can't wait to have a yard again so I've got more room! 

Jamison said:
The babies are looking healthy! Hot Fish is white!!!! Awesome vacation and fishing photos! I would love to visit Australia one day!

Thanks Jamison! I had to be a bit more selective with my photos this time as there are a few lagging due to the mites, but there are still plenty doing good  :) That Hot Fish is definitely a freak. You can't see it in the photo but the couple inches of stem where the white leaves come out of is almost totally white. It just has the slightest hint of green to it. Weird...but I like!
I regret not taking more holiday snaps (mainly of the fish) but it's just too impractical to take my camera phone out in the boat, especially when I'm regularly waist deep in water. If I had a waterproof camera you would have seen some much cooler photos of a pod of dolphins going berserk on some poor old baitfish only a few metres away from us; a school of about 30 giant stingrays just lazing on some crystal clear sand flats; and a baby eagle that I almost knocked out of its nest when tying off a crab pot (I'm still grateful its mumma wasn't home haha). You should definitely get down here. International flights are cheaper nowadays, and it's an awesome place, especially for an outdoorsman such as yourself!

sorry to hear about the mite issues mate! Things are looking awesome considering! Some great shots there! The biker billys are making me drool and I just ate dinner.

You cleaned up with the fishing! 185 decent sized whiting! Incredible. Do you have a freezer big enough? Or are you giving a few away. Whiting taste amazing. I would say on par with flathead, and I absolutely love flatties!

Hopefully the aji lemon tastes better then last years, I am hoping my sole aji lemon makes it paste 1 foot and doesn't die this year. Last year it was looking perfect then just died.

Mitch_from_OZ said:
sorry to hear about the mite issues mate! Things are looking awesome considering! Some great shots there! The biker billys are making me drool and I just ate dinner.

You cleaned up with the fishing! 185 decent sized whiting! Incredible. Do you have a freezer big enough? Or are you giving a few away. Whiting taste amazing. I would say on par with flathead, and I absolutely love flatties!

Hopefully the aji lemon tastes better then last years, I am hoping my sole aji lemon makes it paste 1 foot and doesn't die this year. Last year it was looking perfect then just died.

Thanks mate! Yeah I'll persevere with the mites. I think the first hit is always the hardest to take because you want to believe they aren't going to be around this time haha. The BB's look good don't they! I'm really keen to try them and see how they compare to the mucho nachos. Hopefully a touch hotter.

The numbers of whiting didn't really surprise me (it's not unheard of to get 80+ a day when they are around - if the tides let you get 2 sessions in) but it was their size that got me. Minimum legal limit is 23cm and I didn't need to pull out the ruler until day 3...they were ALL 32-35cm...I can't ever remember them being so consistently big. I managed to find the smaller ones by the end of the trip though haha. Yeah they are easily my number 1 table fish, even ahead of flatties (probably my no. 2). I gave a few bags of fillets to my sister but managed to squeeze the rest into the freezer...just. Now when I ask her to water my plants while I'm away next month she should be more obliging  ;)  Don't hate me but I was throwing the flatties back by day 2  :P  I still went chasing them and got a few on soft plastics each day during the last 2 hours of the run-out. But I was really just doing it to test some new gear and techniques...same goes for all the cod I got. The beach in front of the beach-house plateaus onto a rock/coral ledge at low tide so I would stand literally on the edge of that in 0-2 inches of water and throw soft plastics sideways along the drop-off. It only goes down a couple of metres but it's real good fun trying to extract angry cod from their hidey-holes on light gear, especially when they are underneath you and in some cases actually behind you (in their little caves).

You mentioned a week or so ago that you were going to do another seed drop in October given your seedlings were a bit slow...did you end up doing it? Got any hooks?

Cartz said:

Thanks mate! Yeah I'll persevere with the mites. I think the first hit is always the hardest to take because you want to believe they aren't going to be around this time haha. The BB's look good don't they! I'm really keen to try them and see how they compare to the mucho nachos. Hopefully a touch hotter.

The numbers of whiting didn't really surprise me (it's not unheard of to get 80+ a day when they are around - if the tides let you get 2 sessions in) but it was their size that got me. Minimum legal limit is 23cm and I didn't need to pull out the ruler until day 3...they were ALL 32-35cm...I can't ever remember them being so consistently big. I managed to find the smaller ones by the end of the trip though haha. Yeah they are easily my number 1 table fish, even ahead of flatties (probably my no. 2). I gave a few bags of fillets to my sister but managed to squeeze the rest into the freezer...just. Now when I ask her to water my plants while I'm away next month she should be more obliging  ;)  Don't hate me but I was throwing the flatties back by day 2  :P  I still went chasing them and got a few on soft plastics each day during the last 2 hours of the run-out. But I was really just doing it to test some new gear and techniques...same goes for all the cod I got. The beach in front of the beach-house plateaus onto a rock/coral ledge at low tide so I would stand literally on the edge of that in 0-2 inches of water and throw soft plastics sideways along the drop-off. It only goes down a couple of metres but it's real good fun trying to extract angry cod from their hidey-holes on light gear, especially when they are underneath you and in some cases actually behind you (in their little caves).

You mentioned a week or so ago that you were going to do another seed drop in October given your seedlings were a bit slow...did you end up doing it? Got any hooks?
Let me know how they taste :)

That's crazy! It must be an awesome spot. I know fishing up north is really dependent on the tides, although I have only fished in Darwin a few times and the tides change there like crazy! Hopefully your sister can get the job done for ya. They taste great. Those and flatties don't need much to taste amazing! I don't blame you for just targeting the whiting, on light gear they can be quite fun. As opposed to flathead who don't do much, down south anyway. I have never caught any on soft plastics, one day I will give it a shot. You are making me want to go the Murray now, however, cod season is closed till December 1st unfortunately.

I dropped some more in, plenty of hooks, leaving them in the mini green house kits outside. Just some more yellow 7's, scotch bonnets, jalapenos and poblanos. Also, although no hooks yet as just put in last night, I am trying to grow the mako akarasade from pepperlover. They are rare and apparently taste fantastic, melon like and about the heat of a hab. So hopefully they turn out.

Things are slow if you check my glog update, although I expect the plants to explode in a matter of weeks like last year :)

Looking good, Cartz.  I am new to the site, and up in Mackay.  I have a bhut jolokia, peter pepper, habanero and chocolate hab in the ground now, and watching them grow is painstakingly slow.  I am enjoying watching your progress, and learning lots from the site!

Hi there Jason, and :welcome:

Hopefully you can pick up a few helpful tips from my glog, and plenty more from the rest of the awesome content here on THP. All I can say for now is to keep browsing and stick at it. I felt my plants were super slow during my first season too, but with 12 months more knowledge (and a few fails along the way) they are doing way better this season!

You've got your bases covered with the habs and bhuts, now lets see how long you keep your grow to only 4 varieties!! ;)  

Nice to see someone from Mackay, as I've often wondered why there aren't more growers around from further up north. The climate there should be good for year-round growing, provided you have a little bit of cover from the Summer elements. The only thing I've wondered about is the pests. Hopefully it is too hot for a lot of them up there. I might be somewhere up that way for work next year, so it's actually something that I've put a bit of thought into...and if there are no damn broad mites that far up it'd make any potential move so much more enjoyable haha!!

Thanks for stopping in and stay in touch.

Yea def, AUS is a place on my list to visit before I croak, haha! Your balcony is gonna be so lush your gonna have a hard time walking through it. I just can't get over that Hot Fish plant. It's just insane to me. Did you get seeds from JungleRain? Good luck finishing up them broad mites. Infestations suck!

Back