• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Cayenne's Guide to Vermicompost a.k.a. WORMS!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just wanna share my Brew
2012-06-25160921.jpg

3cups worm casting
1 pound fish
3tbsp humic acid
3tbsp liquid kelp
3tbsp mykos
2tsp bat guano
2tsp peruvian guano
and 3tbsp of my secret stuff
and 1cup molasses its not in the pic i forgot

2012-06-25162458.jpg

10 to 12hrs later
the head didnt go bulge that much since i put cover on top
2012-06-26061820.jpg
Hey repost this to my beginner's guide to AACT. People would benefit from seeing other's recipes and setups.

i used

2-3 cups worm casting
2 tblspoons molasses unsulphered
2 tblspoons fish fertalizer
1 tblspoon kelp meal

only 4 hrs left to bree then i get to apply it :)

about how much tea to use for a first time watering for a pottedplanted?

Not sure if it's been mentioned, but when you guys use molasses make sure it's the unsulphured kind.

Yes, need the unsuphured molasses...sulphur is bacreriocidal and will inhibit the bacterial colonies from establishing themselves.

about how much tea to use for a first time watering for a pottedplanted?

I may pull some of these questions and directly link them into my guide to answer others similar questions.

I use the tea just as I would water when it comes to soil drenching...if the soil is already moist or isn't dry yet dose with 1/4 to 1/2 gallon...more or less wont hurt.

Have you dosed with synthetics? If so, you may need to "flush" the soil and then apply your tea.

yes but that was one time and was about 2 weeks ago. plenty flushed

thanks i have lots of plants so i may dilute it 1:2

Well its been 24 hours. I cant find any good reason to let it go longer. I dont want to kill whats already in there :(

Yup right here

2012-06-27_18-22-51_94.jpg

2012-06-27_18-23-07_628.jpg

Well i just went ahead and feed that batch to 15 plants. Im starting batch 2. This time im doing it inside so i can keep a eye on it

As long as you keep feeding those microbes they will survive. There are Baking companies that save the same yeast in a container for years and years and just keep feeding it.

Even the yeast in Jack Daniels whiskey is the same DNA as it was years ago ;)

Its just a matter of getting to perfect conditions for them to thrive. Things that can slow it down are:
  • Preservatives
  • Excess Light
  • Chlorine
  • Temperature
  • Chemicals from Pesticides
This is one reason I like to keep it simple with stuff like Fresh Worm castings, Fresh Compost, Grass Clippings, unprocessed fish, Fresh kelp. What ever you have an abundance of, that's what I would use.

Found a Very good video on the Tube today thought I would share it!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VMdJxfPuMOE&feature=context-vrec​

Thanks CarvinGuitarist for turning me on to this article.
http://www.news.corn...rmicompost.html

Dec. 21, 2011
Worm compost can suppress plant disease, regulate nutrients, research finds

vermocompost1.jpg

Provided
Doctoral student Allison Jack works with screened vermicompost.

PetriPlate2.jpg

Provided Bacteria from vermicompost extract grows on a petri dish.

By Aaron Munzer
Organic growers could soon have another weapon in their arsenal, courtesy of the humble worm.
Cornell researchers have found that vermicompost -- the product if composting using various species of worms -- is not only an excellent fertilizer, but could also help prevent a pathogen that has been a scourge to greenhouse growers. By teaming up with a New York composting business, they believe they have found an organic way to raise healthier plants with less environmental impact.
Building on previous research conducted by Professor Eric Nelson's research group in the Department of Plant Pathology and Plant-Microbe Biology, Ph.D. student Allison Jack has shown that beneficial microbes in vermicompost can colonize a seed's surface and protect it from infection by releasing a substance that interferes with the chemical signaling between the host and the pathogen.
"We know the microbes are actually adding something the zoospores don't like," Jack said. "Now we just have to find out what it is."
Eric Carr, a master's student in Nelson's lab, is focusing on the suppressive qualities of vermicompost on a different stage of the life cycle of Pythium aphanidermatum, a pathogen whose mobile spores infect seedlings, causing them to "damp off," or wither, shortly after germination. The research, he said, helps contribute to opportunities to turn waste products like manure into important disease-suppressive soil amendments.
"At some point in our lives, we're going to have to start using these types of natural resources and use them more efficiently; when that times comes, we'll have a better idea of how it works," Carr said.
Certain composts can suppress diseases, research has shown, but what is still unknown is which of the thousands of undescribed microbes in healthy compost are responsible for suppressing which diseases.
Another challenge in identifying suppressors and harnessing them is the variability of different composts.
To overcome this issue, Jack has teamed up with Tom Herlihy, who produces 2.5 million pounds of vermicompost a year through his Avon, N.Y., company, Worm Power. Because his dairy manure feedstock is regular and the process controlled, Herlihy's end product is highly consistent, a quality that's good for growers and for scientists like Jack.
Most seeds are treated in this country with chemicals," Herlihy said. "If we know our vermicompost can suppress Pythium, wouldn't it be nice if we could come up with a vermicompost-based solution, rather than a chemical one?"
There could also be economic benefit if the Environmental Protection Agency, for example, allows Herlihy to market his product as a biopesticide.
A related project at Cornell focuses on vermicompost's organic fertilizing capability. Horticulture assistant professor Neil Mattson was recently awarded a $203,000 grant from the U.S. Department of Agriculture to study how organic growers can incorporate vermicompost into their potting mixes for better nutrient management. The three-year research project will begin this spring.
"What a lot of these growers tell us is fertility issues are the hardest to solve organically," Mattson said. "This is a community that is doing a lot of great things. We want to make their production systems even more profitable. We want to promote production systems that promote healthy environments."
Aaron Munzer is a freelance writer in Enfield, N.Y.

HotPeppas - loving the stick for suspension. How's the next brew going?

Ras - that article is awesome. I may add it to my AACT guide to show how vermicompost AACT's have proven disease suppression.

Yeah closest thing to me so was like hell lets go redneck. Heres my 2nd brew. I hope using pantyhose is ok. Damn that was embarrassing picking that out in walmart <.>

2012-06-28_17-26-44_499.jpg

Yeah closest thing to me so was like hell lets go redneck. Heres my 2nd brew. I hope using pantyhose is ok. Damn that was embarrassing picking that out in walmart <.>

2012-06-28_17-26-44_499.jpg

Does your pump only have 1 outlet?
Those bubbles look promising! getting a little frothy :P

The other thing i do is just dump every thing in the bucket, lol FK the cloth! haha.
I strain mine after the brew, but that's a matter of preference.

Will try that next!

Nah 2 outlets. This weekend ima cut the pipe in half and go buy another airstone. 1 is bare minimum

Im bout to go apply this batch here soon. Heat index is still at 100. Freaking miserable

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back