• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Cayenne's Guide to Vermicompost a.k.a. WORMS!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Will try that next!

Nah 2 outlets. This weekend ima cut the pipe in half and go buy another airstone. 1 is bare minimum

Im bout to go apply this batch here soon. Heat index is still at 100. Freaking miserable

I think it is worth it to get a nice airstone if not 2. The more Air, the faster the tea will go aerobic, so I would think.

I think it is worth it to get a nice airstone if not 2. The more Air, the faster the tea will go aerobic, so I would think.

I would think so...supposedly it's not necessarily the amount of air per se, but the smaller diameter the air bubbles which increas agitation and oxygen availability with the bacteria.

I'm still using the same 4 cheap blue stones...gotta run to petco or petsmart soon...there's an 8" diameter round stone I've had my eye on.

I would think so...supposedly it's not necessarily the amount of air per se, but the smaller diameter the air bubbles which increas agitation and oxygen availability with the bacteria.

I'm still using the same 4 cheap blue stones...gotta run to petco or petsmart soon...there's an 8" diameter round stone I've had my eye on.
link? lol

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B002JPEAD2

It's odd they don't show this for purchase online at petco or petsmart but our local petco has them.

The above link is not the exact one, but looks the damn same - made by Hagen.

I used to do a lot of DWC several years ago, and I found that no matter what brand of air stone I bought, they would all crap out after a few weeks. I ended up just buying 25 of the cheapest one I could find off eBay and replacing the as they failed. I tried the fancy large air stones, the results did not reflect the price tag

I used to do a lot of DWC several years ago, and I found that no matter what brand of air stone I bought, they would all crap out after a few weeks. I ended up just buying 25 of the cheapest one I could find off eBay and replacing the as they failed. I tried the fancy large air stones, the results did not reflect the price tag

Thanks for that info...I wasn't going to spend 30 bucks on a stone...I think they were $7 a piece. Was gonna buy 1 to see how it did.

http://www.discount-hydro.com/products/Sunleaves-OxyStones.html

i got one of these 4" its great and its so cheap, it makes tiny tiny bubbles, i should have gotten 2, that one that the job though.

i use the 4" stones in my DWC and compst teas, i have 3-4 extra ones that when i notice the amount of bubbles going down i pull that stone out and put in a new one, clean off the old stone and let it sit out and dry completely and it will work like new again. so i just keep cycling them.

I did not include airstones this time around because I have to order them online. I followed the basic recipes I found here and started a vermicompost tea a couple of days ago. I've been stirring every couple of hours during the waking hours, which hopefully is enough. I woke up this morning and it had a pretty good head on it and it was making a crackling noise that I heard very well because of the echos off of the wall of the pail.

The way I see it is that it would be simlar to making fish emulsions, which can be done without air stones and still be aerobic. The big difference, of course, is the speed at which it all happens and the volume of beneficial microbes that are produced. I have not done this before, but my own logic (which may be flawed) tells me that if it turns anaerobic my nose would tell me immediately.

I guess I'll find out for sure when I use it :rolleyes:

The way I see it is that it would be simlar to making fish emulsions, which can be done without air stones and still be aerobic. The big difference, of course, is the speed at which it all happens and the volume of beneficial microbes that are produced. I have not done this before, but my own logic (which may be flawed) tells me that if it turns anaerobic my nose would tell me immediately.

I guess I'll find out for sure when I use it :rolleyes:
Ray over on the Praxxus channel on YouTube does it that way and it seems to work for him.

I see many things in this thread that are untrue according to the book I am reading now such as this one:

Adding to much citrus can be detrimental to there health and should be avoided. Same with Peppers!

What a bunch of BS! :rolleyes:

I used this guy http://unclejimswormfarm.com/ was here quick

I almost bought some from him until I did some research and I now say...DO NOT buy from him.
He has a lot of bad reviews and I found this out on a vermicomposting forum. http://vermicomposters.ning.com/forum/topics/uncle-jim-s-worm-farm
The guy spends money on advertising and is selling an inferior product.
If they sell by the number rather than the pound beware!!

Dave's garden also shows these numbers which make me very weary of buying from him:

72 positives
9 neutrals
27 negatives
http://davesgarden.com/products/gwd/c/2230/#b

I used The Friendly Worm Guy to supply my vermicompost, which is in the northern part of Canada. I have no idea whether he would ship outside of Canada, but for Canadians reading this I highly recommend him. It was fast, courteous, and exactly as promised at a pretty reasonable rate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back