• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

CFL question

BillyIdle said:
What do you suggest then for my setup, and based on my budget. As I said, I will get 4 x 18W 6500K fluros and I can afford 2 x 250W CFL's. In 3-4 months I can buy another red 250W. The question is: should I get 2 x 6500K now and 1 x 2700K later, or 1 x 6500K + 1 x 2700K now and 1 x 2700K later? Or even better (for my wallet), just buy one of each now and none later :)

I'd go with 1x6500k + 1x2700k. If you look the 2700k will probably have more initial lumens than the 6500k. Plus, as long as you have blue light, your plants won't stretch, so the mixed light won't hurt. Last time i started seedlings i started with the 6500k tubes til they got a couple weeks old then started supplementing with 2700K CFLs.

3004285508_b58fa82a5b_o.jpg

The spiral one is my 42W 2700k

Txclosetgrower said:
I'd go with 1x6500k + 1x2700k. If you look the 2700k will probably have more initial lumens than the 6500k. Plus, as long as you have blue light, your plants won't stretch, so the mixed light won't hurt. Last time i started seedlings i started with the 6500k tubes til they got a couple weeks old then started supplementing with 2700K CFLs.

That's right, the 2700K is rated at 20000 lm while the 6500K is rated 15000 lm. The fluros are rated at 1300 lm each, which gives a total of about 40000 lm. Should be enough for my needs :)

Billy,

Get a light meter. They are not expensive and will give you great stats for future endeavors. They will measure the light intensity at whatever distance from the lights you take it. I like to have at least 3500 lux for seedlings, double that for fruiting.

Mike

wordwiz said:
Billy,

Get a light meter. They are not expensive and will give you great stats for future endeavors. They will measure the light intensity at whatever distance from the lights you take it. I like to have at least 3500 lux for seedlings, double that for fruiting.

Mike

I have to laught at this. No offence. But anything like this kind of equipment is silly expensive in Norway. Everything that don't sell in thousands will rip you off compared to other countries :(

If you have links to US stores that sells those, I would be very happy.

This is the cheapest one I could find on fleabay: Lux Meter

The shipping is almost the same as the unit, total price of USD 24. The cheapest one I could find in Norway was USD 57 + shipping. Any better than this?

Billy,

That's about what I paid for mine, give or take a dollar, although shipping was cheaper. Yeah, it's an added expense, just like a meter that measures pH and moisture levels of soil is, but to me it is worth it. It gives me a real close idea how far I need to place the plants from the lights (or vice versa) instead of having to stick the plants someplace and find out a few days later they need moved up or down.

Mike

Just checked the spec for that lux meter. Light sensitivity: 500-640nm. That means it does not even measure the upper reds or the blue ranges! My LED panel will do a pretty bad score on that meter :)

mannnn... haha I ghetto rigged this thing up today just because I have now TWO seedlings that popped up out of the soil on me. These things are growing faster than everyone said that they would. So I could not get a grow box up and running yet, but I did not want to leave them with minimal sunlight.

Like I said its super ghetto, but only temp until I can get a box made. but it has one 18" tube, 2 6500ks ( 125w ) 4 2400ks ( 100w? ) When I get a grow box made up its going to be CFL galore. Prolly around 2 18" tubes, 16 totals CFLs Mixed 6500ks and 2400ks. Thats alright to leave them with mixed K ratings until it gets hot enough for outdoor right?

MrOneEyedBoh said:
mannnn... haha I ghetto rigged this thing up today just because I have now TWO seedlings that popped up out of the soil on me. These things are growing faster than everyone said that they would. So I could not get a grow box up and running yet, but I did not want to leave them with minimal sunlight.

Like I said its super ghetto, but only temp until I can get a box made. but it has one 18" tube, 2 6500ks ( 125w ) 4 2400ks ( 100w? ) When I get a grow box made up its going to be CFL galore. Prolly around 2 18" tubes, 16 totals CFLs Mixed 6500ks and 2400ks. Thats alright to leave them with mixed K ratings until it gets hot enough for outdoor right?

Yeah, mixed is fine, probably better than just 1 or the other.

And you saw my old ghetto ass setup in that pic a few posts up. That was a milk crate with lights stuck to it & clipped on sitting on top of a smalle rubbermaid tub lol.

hha you wanna see mine? I just whipped it up in about 30 minutes. Tomorrow I'll be making a 24x24x24 box. But I may just keep the setup I have now. Its by the window and I'm sure its getting more light then it would by just sitting by the window alone. Its BRIGHT.

But I think it will be alright.

Not to hijack this thread, but how fast do these grow up? I'm wondering if what I have not will suffice until they have to go outside..

Again sorry to hijack this thread.. But these pictures DO NOT give the lights justice. They are SUPER bright, I guess the camera tones the lights down? But I was thinking about keeping this ghetto setup and running it until I can put them outside. I might need to raise the lights up, but thats no problem. Keep in mind that its by a window and will get some natural sunlight, its a south facing window, but may have some sunlight blocked from the structure holding up the lights. Anyway here they are

well I have 16 total CFLs. This was just for now. I can always make something bigger if I need it.. I just think that this will be alright until they geta bit bigger right?

How fast do these grow? they wont grow that out for a few weeks I would hope right? If not I dont mind making something bigger.

No, they'll still be around a foot or less after 6-8 weeks. Unless you're redeyes then they'll be 12 feet tall and covered in pods

What about reflectors?

Are there any cheap and decent reflectors for CFL's? I can only find expensive retro fitted MH/HID reflectors...

I think a decent reflector should make a huge difference in capturing some of that wasted light, I know it did for my corals in my aquariums.

Back