• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

CFL question

MrOneEyedBoh said:
Like I said its super ghetto, but only temp until I can get a box made. but it has one 18" tube, 2 6500ks ( 125w ) 4 2400ks ( 100w? ) When I get a grow box made up its going to be CFL galore. Prolly around 2 18" tubes, 16 totals CFLs Mixed 6500ks and 2400ks. Thats alright to leave them with mixed K ratings until it gets hot enough for outdoor right?

Are these really 100w and 125W, or are the 100/125W equivalents? Seems too small for 100+. The 250W I'm considering are humongous! Approx 15" long and 5" diameter.

They are smaller ones, they are the 35-100w or something like that. I've grown "plants" :D with them before. they actually work great. but like alot of people are told. keep them close and it will suffice.

lostmind said:
What about reflectors?

Are there any cheap and decent reflectors for CFL's? I can only find expensive retro fitted MH/HID reflectors...

I think a decent reflector should make a huge difference in capturing some of that wasted light, I know it did for my corals in my aquariums.

51ePubC1XFL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

Those things work pretty well, plus you get a cord & socket with a clamp on it too. I love those things, you can find them for between 4-8 bucks at the hardware store, same isle as the extension cords.

Mike...I checked my the lux at the bottom of my grow box after I added the extra CFLs and it is right at 5K....coming from ~65-70K lumens...checked the light in direct sunlight and was getting 7-8K...the lights are about 3 feet from the bottom...

Hehehe... I already ordered that!

One of the benefits of being single, a germination box in the middle of the house:
dsc01072xi7.jpg

AlabamaJack said:
Mike...I checked my the lux at the bottom of my grow box after I added the extra CFLs and it is right at 5K....coming from ~65-70K lumens...checked the light in direct sunlight and was getting 7-8K...the lights are about 3 feet from the bottom...

AJ,

You sure you are taking the readings from the sun correctly? When I checked my meter in direct sunlight on a bright day, it was 100-103K. But the readings inside the box sound correct. I think it was Nat who posted a link that a lumen is the amount of light hitting a square foot from a foot away while a lux measures the light per square meter. But since you are taking the measurement at a specific point, they should be the same. If you multiply the 5K by three (feet away) you get 15K lumens then by four (4 feet square area) you come up with 60K.

The jives with my readings. The bulbs are rated at 6,900 lumens and at one foot I get ~6,500. At about 22" it drops to about 3,200.

Mike

maybe the meter is not reading lux...I lost my instruction manual so I don't know the units...all I know is the meter read 5K and full sun was about 8K

could be..it is a Rapitest 4 way analyzer :lol:

Omri said:
So basically Rapitest is a liar... :shocked:
Anyhow, if it does read Rads, stay inside... :lol:

Omri,

Not sure I would be so harsh about it. :rolleyes: I believe a lot depends on how it is aimed because IIRC, it lacks a focal spot like many meters have. But yeah, the bright sun at noon is generally suppose to be about 100K lux.

Mike

wordwiz said:
Omri,

Not sure I would be so harsh about it. :rolleyes: I believe a lot depends on how it is aimed because IIRC, it lacks a focal spot like many meters have. But yeah, the bright sun at noon is generally suppose to be about 100K lux.

Mike
So Rapitest is not just a liar, but a big fat liar...

Back