• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

CFL question

Omri said:
One of the benefits of being single, a germination box in the middle of the house

And one of the benefits of not being that, is that you can afford a large house with so many rooms, that you have at least one spare for chili growing :lol:

BillyIdle said:
And one of the benefits of not being that, is that you can afford a large house with so many rooms, that you have at least one spare for chili growing :lol:
I used to have an entire room just for chiles, and not a small one. unfortunately I had to take 'em all out.

well...a comparative value between sun and grow box is good enough...if I am getting 65-70% of the brightness of the sun, I think that is OK...

AJ,

I would think you will have plenty of light! Last year, I had about 3,500 and it was fine for the seedlings. You're gonna have a lot more because your plants will be significantly closer to the lights.

Mike

Omri said:
You *can't* get "65-70% of the brightness of the sun"... not with CFLs anyways. :lol:

You can't? Build a box and put twelve 6,900 lumen bulbs in it, making sure to line the walls with mylar, then take a reading eight inches from the lights (wear a heat resistant glove, though!) in the middle. You don't think it would read 65,000 lumens? :idea:

Mike

OK Omri....what ever the units measured by the meter are, the meter is giving me a reading of 5K for the box and 7-8K for direct sunlight...

and my point is that if I can get 5/8 of the reading of the sun, it will be fine to grow some peppers in...

wordwiz said:
You can't? Build a box and put twelve 6,900 lumen bulbs in it, making sure to line the walls with mylar, then take a reading eight inches from the lights (wear a heat resistant glove, though!) in the middle. You don't think it would read 65,000 lumens? :idea:

Mike
A wise man once said: "It's better to have one stone on your head, than two olives in your nose..."

AJ you have a killer setup, don't get me wrong. :cheers::lol:

no problem Omri...

I just think that last year, I only had the 8 T-12 40 watts bulbs (6500K and 4100K) in the box for the first part of the year, so that was ~ 20K lumens...when I added the 6 CFLs it gave me another 15.6K and the contest nagas took off...so this year I decided to add another 31.2K...

and I will be able to get better growth this year in the box than last year...

ABurningMouth said:
The sun is for sale?
If so, Omri could trade the Arc of the Covenant for it.
Ark* and is that a joke about my religion?!

Hehe... just kidding with ya bro... I'm sooooooooooooo wastedddddddddddddd... :lol:

AJ,

With you having the lumens you have to cover the area you have, your plants will have plenty of light. If you want near exact readings, get a light meter (knowing you, you do!)

Mike

AJ, can't find the thread where you gave the details of your grow box. How big was it, and what's the distribution of blue and red fluros and CFL's?

BillyIdle said:
AJ, can't find the thread where you gave the details of your grow box. How big was it, and what's the distribution of blue and red fluros and CFL's?

really close to 2 to 1 ratio red to blue (46.8K blue/21K red) - total red and blue lights broken by color temperature and type

10K Lumens - four T-12 40 Watt 6500K (just to the right side of the "blue grow peak"

11K Lumens - four T-12 40 Watt 4100K (this is to the left of the "blue grow peak"

46.8K Lumens - eighteen 42 Watt CFLs 2700K (just to the left of the "red grow peak")

Here is a link to the thread...real details on construction start at post #7

http://www.thehotpepper.com/showthread.php?t=4191

note: I don't think I mentioned anywhere in the thread that I put castors on the bottoms of the legs to make moving it easy..

BillyIdle said:
Thanks! But this doesn't have any info on the CFLs. How many do you have of each type?

the post above was just edited with the details....did you see that? If you did and still have questions, let me know...

Ok, thanks again! I think I will just go for 1 red and one blue CFL. Since the red has more lumens than the blue, and I have blue fluros, I will get about 1 to 1 ratio red and blue. Should be an ok compromise, or what?

sure, that would be good...better than all red IMO...the way I have them set up is I can control each bank of lights...here is a pic of my spaghetti wiring and controls....

011109a002.jpg

and I didn't say I had four 100 watt halogen incandescent bulbs mounted in the top corners controlled by a thermostat. These are used for heat but now that I have so many 42 watt CFLs in there, I probably won't need extra heat...

011109a001.jpg

Back