food Cheesy Foil Dogs

Cap said:
[COLOR=blue']Doing this tonight!! Can't wait :onfire: ...Of course it will be without Bubba's chili. :( [/COLOR]
Post results!

imaguitargod said:
hey, think of it this way, when a natural disaster comes and you and me are left with no food, I'll die first because I have no fat that my body could feed off of. You'll live at least two days longer than me...

But in the mean time, I think I'm going to do some foil dogs for the 4th of July...

then i get to live even longer....after you die then its time for guitar bbq southern style;)

thehotpepper.com said:
Grill or fry some hot dogs. Place them in buns. Top the dogs with cheddar cheese and sliced pickled jalapenos. Individually wrap the dogs in foil. Pop them in a 350 oven for 8-10 minutes. The cheese melts, the bun doesn't burn, and it gets all gooey and good. If you want, just serve them in the foil.

It is finished!! As the Admin said, "these are gooey and good". Dinner was a hit, and even the kids didn't complain. The pic just shows a few samples of the many foil dogs that we consumed tonight.
hotdogs.jpg

The foil was removed from the dogs for the photo. We had 3 different versions including, cheddar only, cheddar and Jalapeno slices (fresh from my garden thank you), and cheddar with :P Texas Pete Chili. As for the texas pete chili, to me it really doesn't have much of a flavor. It added more texture than taste. Of course a healthy dose of Cape Fear Pepper Company Red Savina sauce brought the bland chili to life:mouthonfire: . I know, shameless plug but I couldn't resist.
Thanks admin for posting this simple, yet fun twist on making hot dogs. Our kids love to take part in helping with family meals, and this is a fun feast that the little ones can make all by themselves. ;)

Thanks for the picture, and report! I agree it's a fun way to make hot dogs. It sort of "becomes one" instead of being separate ingredients.

[quote name='Cap'n Bones']Our kids love to take part in helping with family meals, and this is a fun feast that the little ones can make all by themselves. ;)[/quote]
Your kids make their own food, how did you get them to do that?!?! From what I understand you really can't get kids(especially teenagers) to do that now adays. Nice work! :P

The picture looks really good!

imaguitargod said:
Your kids make their own food, how did you get them to do that?!?! From what I understand you really can't get kids(especially teenagers) to do that now adays. Nice work! :P

It's simple really. My wife and I have a few rules for the offspring to live by, "if you want to eat, ya gotta help with the cooking". ;) It works most of the time. Here's another rule we have for the little ones, "help with the dishes, or you're eating from a dirty plate for the next meal".. Believe me, they catch on pretty quick.

imaguitargod said:

Anyone who can't get kids to do things doesn't understand the power of the words "do it or no MSN".

T

well i thought this looked like a good and easy recipe so i picked up some nathan's hot dogs since they were on sale. also bought some sliced pickled jalapeños, and shredded jalapeño pepper jack cheese. boiled the dogs in a couple cans of cheap beer with a little salt. (natty light if you really want to know...i wanted to drink the good beer) then shook off the beer a little..put them in their buns and covered with cheese, jalapeños, diced onion, and black pepper. wrapped them in foil and did the 350 for 8-10 minutes and they were great! i'll likely make the rest of them the same way..but i might add some canned chili.
IMG_8714.jpg

They look perfect! Nice job.

thanks. heh kinda hard to mess up that recipe. :)

it was delicious though. i have 6 more dogs and buns to go and plenty of the rest of the ingredients..i'll likely make the rest of them the same way, or add some chili too.

edit..what happened to the avatars in this thread? and now there are these review options?

xgraforex....your score is:
Great hotdog photo +10
Vandalizing a Nathan's hotdog -4
Cheese and onions +4
Threatening to add chile: no score
Not enough peppers on hotdog -5
Following up the hotdogs the morning after with a pot of coffee and 2 bran muffins: PRICELESS!

I might have to break down and get some Sabrett's(the TRUE dirty water dog from up north-NJ, NYC, etc.) and try this out.

I'm glad everyone is enjoying this. Maybe I should open a Foil Dog stand.

Back