• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

Chile powder

I've not ever made any ... on purpose, that is. A couple years ago, I was given a harvest of small, red, pointy chiles (don't know what -- might have been ornamental). I let them dry out, then roasted them briefly under a broiler, and finally crushed them up. I figured I'd have something to sprinkle on pizza. It works too (I still have some left).

But what I really have is seeds and flakes from the skin of the chiles, and fine powder as well. I guess I could use a sifter to separate out the seeds and flakes and use the powder for cooking, right?

Of course I can do that. But what I'm asking, is this an unusual idea? Dry, roast, crush by hand, and separate?

It seems to me that I get two products out of this process.

The mortar and pestle leaves behind flakes and seeds. A food processor make it all into power. The flakes come from the skin. So, won't pulverizing the skin and seeds dilute the concentration of capcaisin in the resulting powder? I know the seeds don't contain any, but are coated in placenta material. So there is some heat there.

I don't know, it just seems worth while to separate out the skin flakes/seeds, which people like on pizza anyway, and have a purer powder left over.

Bear in mind -- I'm a complete noob here using what seems logical. With no experience behind me, I will accept the flaws in my thinking.

Nothing wrong with separating out the powder and keeping the flakes. It's all what you prefer. I, personally, don't like using the seeds in anything (except my propagator :cool:) I remove the seeds and some placental tissue out of each pod and then dry and grind them in small batches. Some I grind down to a fine powder and the rest I use as flakes. I prefer the powder personally but everyone's a bit different. Fresh, homemade powder from any c. chinense variety beats the pants off any cheapo cayenne powder you buy in the store. I can't even eat that crap.

Speaking of eating the seeds, I was pulling seeds out of whole dried pods I had from last season, left a few on the counter, and my cockatiel decided they were fun to swoop down and eat while I wasn't looking. He seemed to be enjoying himself because anything I touch looks like tasty food to him. Good thing he can't taste the heat or he'd be in trouble :rofl:

it all depends on what chile your drying to grind. some are heavy seed producers while some only have a few seeds.
the heavy seed chiles I remove them before drying...... chiles with a few I leave in.....small chiles that'd be a hassel to deal with seeds are left in.....otherwise dehydrate them & in the coffee grinder they go for powder.
to each their own, do what you like, theres no wrong way.

Back