• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Chillie Whisperer's South African Glog-2013

Hi everyone,so,this will be my verey first attempt to start a glog,I live on a farm in SA in the Western Cape.
I AM still attending school (9th grade) and I will try my very best.
I just want to thank Lourens (PeriPeri)
And Conor (Saugapapper) for the fantastic seeds,you guys are awesome!

I will grow:
PeriPeri : mozambique
Habanero Orange
Peach Habanero
Jalapeno
7pot red
7pot brainstrain yellow
Yellow Fattali
Choc habanero
Billy Boy Douglah
Butch T Scorpion

The rest I can't remember,will send the full list tomorrow

I am in exam stage in school so things will be hectic,anyways,wish me luck,thanks.

You hang in there, CW!  I think you are
going about things the right way.

Thank you Paul! I sure do hope so! I've only grown peppers once in my life,and those I bought,so it was much easier.
I'm going to make sure I get some peppers this season,so I'm working extra hard :)

So I have been thinking about something. They say that peppers grown in Florida are way hotter because of the climate that stresses out the plant. Is it true? And how is the climate in Florida? What makes it so different?

At the same time, plenty of light and heat makes the peppers happier! I imagine as long as you can keep disease and pests in line FL peppers wouldn't be particularly hotter than others, but the FL growers probably know better!

I'll have to do some research :)
Just saw a cutworm,and also found out for the past few days I have been seeing a lot of black hairy worms. The dark hairy worms also eat all the plants,so I'll be taking a stop at the corporation this Saturday

Hey J,

Cutworm pellets are good - for the strictly insecticide route. Then you can also but skewers or chop sticks next to the stems of the seedlings... or take toilet paper rolls and press them around the stem of the chillies into the soil. Oh and of course picking the cutworm and squishing them on site :)

Heat/Sun and lack of water in my experience makes chillies not only bigger, but hotter.

Hey Lourens,thanks,I will check it out at the corporation this weekend. We have reeds,will that work?

Wow,that's interesting,biggers pods means more seeds,right?

chilli whisperer said:
Hey Lourens,thanks,I will check it out at the corporation this weekend. We have reeds,will that work?

Wow,that's interesting,biggers pods means more seeds,right?
You want something that is about 5mm or so in diameter. Like a chopstick or a skewer... you push them in the ground as close to the stem of the seedling as you can go and quite far into the ground. The thinking is that the cutworm will be fooled into thinking that the seedlings stem is too big/hard and it will move on. Sounds crazy, but it works. I have Stickman to thank for that gem ;)

Interesting question... I don't think bigger pods = more seeds. Seeds are already predetermined once pod starts out... so I am not sure pods would get more seeds through heat. Someone here will know the answer to this.

In my experience, chili varieties vary widely in the number of seeds the pods contain.  Like a Manzano or Marconi Rosso can contain dozens of seeds, and some have much less, like the Giant white Hab I grew this season.  And as far as I can tell, it's pretty much general consensus on the forum that hot weather makes the chilies hotter.  I can speak to the opposite,  cool weather robs them of heat.  I grew some Yellow Scotch Bonnets that had to finish in the cooler greenhouse, and they had awesome flavor and practically no heat!  That shouldn't affect the seeds, their dna is already determined, so they are what they are.

Good luck carrying on CW.

Paul is spot on. Another factor that I have found affects chilli heat is the watering. I have noticed that chillies that have had lots of water have milder pods than plants where I have eased off the watering and stressed the plants a little. Straving chillies of water before harvesting can bump the heat on them pods ;)

Lol oi,we have so many plants to water,we nevver have time to water the watermelons,but we started watering them since yesterday,we gave them a lot of water. We only have one pipe we have to drag around the whole time,and sometimes there is no water preasure,but since they changed the dam pipes we haven't had a preasure problem again

Sounds familliar J. Last year I did my grow with a single water point and no pressure and had about 1000 plants to water lol One tip if I may... Peg wooden or metal stakes into the ground at the corners of the chilli beds. Nothing worse than loosing seedlings or plants to hosepipes being dragged over them. The pegs will prevent the hosepipe from dragging over your chilli beds ;)

Back