CI ?

those that use CI, how many meals do you cook with the CI before cleaning it ?
thats if you plan on doing several meals over the days where you could use that piece of CI, & let the flavors blend.
or do you clean after every meal ?

chilehunter said:
criminally insane
LOL. Yeah, he has to know... I mean... if not it might be the 2nd ultimate fail, 2nd in line to the IDS!

I clean mine after each use with coarse salt and oil. Sometimes soap and water :eek:

Mine are seasoned pretty well. Mostly I just wipe 'em down with a paper towel. If it's rather substantial grindage in the pan, I add some H20 and bring to a boil to lift off the offenders in question and rinse, dry and coat with oil.

Salute', TB.

Yeah, I do the paper towel thang too.

Do you guys ever fully wash them with soap and water? I do... but I don't have a well seasoned pan, I have a hardly used griddle that stuff likes to stick to.

I re-season, of course.

I run mine under water while it's still hot, and scrub it off using paper towels held with tongs. Then stick it back on the stove to dry off then oil it down while hot. I do this every time I cook with it.

thehotpepper.com said:
I clean mine after each use with coarse salt and oil. Sometimes soap and water :eek:

I do this as well. Kosher salt and some oil. I am new to this, I got my first skillet less than a month ago. I seasoned it and it has held up. I haven't had to use soap and water yet. If something sticks I just scrape it with a metal spatula then oil it down once the pan feels smooth again. But I have no idea what I am doing.

Badger said:
Anyone explain what CI is?

Cast Iron.

texas blues said:
Mine are seasoned pretty well. Mostly I just wipe 'em down with a paper towel. If it's rather substantial grindage in the pan, I add some H20 and bring to a boil to lift off the offenders in question and rinse, dry and coat with oil.

Salute', TB.

I 2nd that!! I almost cried when my wife put one of my skillets in the dish washer..............................

Dyce51 said:
I 2nd that!! I almost cried when my wife put one of my skillets in the dish washer..............................

Ahk! Get the divorce papers ready! I never ever use soap in cast iron. If flamage and 500 degrees doesn't kill it, it ain't gonna' die!

Salute', TB.

texas blues said:
Ahk! Get the divorce papers ready! I never ever use soap in cast iron. If flamage and 500 degrees doesn't kill it, it ain't gonna' die!

Salute', TB.

The only time your cast iron should see soap is when you bring it home from the store.

My skillet hasn't seen soap since before I was born, and it's slicker than greased owl sh*t at this point. Got it from my grandma :) You simply can't beat well used cast iron.

If I ever get a good CI pan I will take care of it. The 2-sided griddle though is a damn pain to keep seasoned, being 2-sided and all. Makes a damn mess wherever you store it. Just use it for pancakes so I don't need it well seasoned. Next time, I'll get a skillet.

I'm probably missing the point here, but if you have to f**k around boiling with water etc. and re-seasoning with oil, wouldn't it be just as easy to wash the pan/skillet/griddle in soap and water?

I wash it in soap and water, put it on the stove over low heat to dry and open the pores, then recoat with oil.

no one, not even the wife touches my cast iron...and they haven't seen soap in over 40 years....cook, empty, wipe out with paper towel, store....

ok, seems like only THP answered the question. instead most replied as to how they clean their CI.

I guess I'm the oddball to use a piece of CI for multipule meals w/o cleaning inbetween. so far its going on 6 meals over the couple days. talk about blending flavors :lol:
& yes I do clean it, heat up & scrape most off then use a greenie under hot water, then wipe dry, no oil cuz I use them kinda often.

That's about it. If I cook a steak or poppers in there and leave a bunch of cruddies, I use one of those little plastic scrappy things under hot water. Then the customary triple paper towel wipedown and then the oil wipedown. Seems to be working pretty good. Then whenever I feel like a bit too much crud is building up, I make a good cornbread and the pan wipes spotless! That's what makes the cornbread so good! CI was definitely a man's invention.

Back