• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

seeds Close up of Stuck Seed

This is one of my 7 Pot seeds that unfortunately has the husk of the seed stuck on it. I put it under a microscope to see if I could help get it off but it wasn't going to be. I'm a little paranoid about hurting the seedling so I didn't use much force. I figure it will come off on it's own or it won't.

The pics are at 10X and what I'm doing is putting the camera up to one of the eye pieces of the 'scope.

IMG_3726cre1.jpg

IMG_3729cre-1.jpg

Cool picures!

But if you still want to remove it, spit works very well to soften the shell (as suggested in anorhter thread the other day). Tried it with one of my fataliis a few days ago.

Im with Omri, LEAVE IT ALONE!

When the leaves grow, they will push the cap off in theor own good time, the seed sint going to die in the meantime. Pulling it off can be dicey, which usually means no more seedling.

I repeat, LEAVE IT ALONE!

One of my seedlings has come up like that. I'm just going to leave it for the time being. I can't imagine being able to pull it off without killing the plant. Breaks the heart, though...doesn't it?

I just cover them up with a tiny pile of moist soil, when they get out of there the cap is usually gone. We pamper the plants all the time so I see no point in being Darwinistic with seedlings.

MrArboc said:
I just cover them up with a tiny pile of moist soil, when they get out of there the cap is usually gone. We pamper the plants all the time so I see no point in being Darwinistic with seedlings.

That's a fantastic idea!! I'm going down to try that right away.

BillyIdle said:
Cool picures!

But if you still want to remove it, spit works very well to soften the shell (as suggested in anorhter thread the other day). Tried it with one of my fataliis a few days ago.

:onfire:I spit on my mazano and it released the next day!

Just leave it be...the hat will fall off when it's ready...ever wonder who is babying these seeds outside where they grow naturally? I know, I know you just want to help that poor thing along...shhhh it really will be fine if the covering does not come off for a while.

pepperfever said:
ever wonder who is babying these seeds outside where they grow naturally?

It is nothing natural about the way we grow chilis. We carefully select the soil, we repot, we use artificial light, ad fertilizers, keep them indoors until they are big and strong, protect them from strong winds and sunlight until they have "learned" to cope with it just to mention a few unnatural things we do. And then there are the hydro growers... :-)

MrArboc said:
It is nothing natural about the way we grow chilis. We carefully select the soil, we repot, we use artificial light, ad fertilizers, keep them indoors until they are big and strong, protect them from strong winds and sunlight until they have "learned" to cope with it just to mention a few unnatural things we do. And then there are the hydro growers... :-)

It's the grower that's un-natural, not the plant.

willard3 said:
I totally agree.

I know many of you (including me) are trying to get the best results, but there's so much one can do. it mostly depends on mother nature.

willard3 said:

I beg to differ. The chileplants most of us grow are domesticated, the result of human selection - not natural selection.

I don't think I've ever had a seed cap kill a seedling. On the other hand, I myself have found plenty of ways to kill them. ;) Leave it alone.

Back