• ūüĒ•Black Friday BOGO sale on memberships, info HERE!

coffee-tea Coffee

GhostPepperz said:
so is a french press really like night and day with coffee? i have never used one before. 
much better than a drip or percolator.
 

My top 3 non espresso methods in order are:
1- Aeropress
2- Pour Over
3- French Press
 
SavinaRed said:
much better than a drip or percolator.
 

My top 3 non espresso methods in order are:
1- Aeropress
2- Pour Over
3- French Press
 
I second this list, I love my Aeropress. Though when I want a larger serving at home, I go for the french press. Philz in the bay area makes an awesome pour over coffee, though I've never done pour over at home.
 
I just picked up a Burr grinder, and that's made a huge difference in terms of the quality of my coffee. This is the article that convinced me to switch from a traditional blade grinder: http://drinks.seriouseats.com/2014/01/replace-blade-grinder-with-burr-grinder-best-coffee-equipment-advice.html
 
GhostPepperz said:
Just looked up the Aeropress, never even heard of that before. Better filtered than the french one. Interesting. 
So here is what I do when deciding which method to use. If I'm by myself then I start my day making a double espresso while my water is heating up for the Aeropress and make a cup of coffee. If my wife or anyone else will be joining me for coffee I make a pour over pot of coffee. And then about once a week I will break out the French Press just to mix it up and enjoy a couple of cups of coffee. 
 
I only use a drip at work(soon replacing it with a pour over). I think I will try my old stove top percolator this weekend and see how some fresh roasted coffee tastes using this method. 
 
heathotsauce said:
 
I second this list, I love my Aeropress. Though when I want a larger serving at home, I go for the french press. Philz in the bay area makes an awesome pour over coffee, though I've never done pour over at home.
 
I just picked up a Burr grinder, and that's made a huge difference in terms of the quality of my coffee. This is the article that convinced me to switch from a traditional blade grinder: http://drinks.seriouseats.com/2014/01/replace-blade-grinder-with-burr-grinder-best-coffee-equipment-advice.html
Nice article thanks for posting it. Which coffee grinder did you buy ?
 
dragonsfire said:
 
 
For my tastes no. This was an experiment to see if kona,that I knew for sure was the real deal , was good.  I have tried blends and cups of it in the past but I was always leery about if it was the real stuff. When my sis decided to go to Hawaii for her 50th , I asked her to find me the best 100% kona she could find , so I would know once and for all if the real stuff lived up to what I had read about it.   For me , it doesn't  but YMMV. 
 
Next step is to get some real Jamaican Blue mountain coffee.  My bro in law is going to ask his Aunt to bring some back from relatives next time she goes.  Any blue mountain I have had in the past hasn't really done much for me.  The dark blue  label Marley Blue Mountain  was about the best I have tasted , but still my local roaster has at least 3 or 4 single origins that I like better at a lot lower cost. 
 
Ashen said:
 
 
For my tastes no. This was an experiment to see if kona,that I knew for sure was the real deal , was good.  I have tried blends and cups of it in the past but I was always leery about if it was the real stuff. When my sis decided to go to Hawaii for her 50th , I asked her to find me the best 100% kona she could find , so I would know once and for all if the real stuff lived up to what I had read about it.   For me , it doesn't  but YMMV. 
 
Next step is to get some real Jamaican Blue mountain coffee.  My bro in law is going to ask his Aunt to bring some back from relatives next time she goes.  Any blue mountain I have had in the past hasn't really done much for me.  The dark blue  label Marley Blue Mountain  was about the best I have tasted , but still my local roaster has at least 3 or 4 single origins that I like better at a lot lower cost. 
I'm drinking a kona blend right now and it is good but I'm not enjoying it anymore than the Yirga I've been drinking. Now the Jamaican Blue Mountain is on my list to get on my next order of coffee. Right now I have 12 lbs of various coffees to roast and drink lol.
 
So far my favorite coffee that I've roasted is an Ethiopian Sidamo that was dry processed. I ordered 5lbs from Amazon for $34 shipped. 
 
Update- the Kona blend as it cools down tastes really good. I like it better on the warm side than I do on the hotter side. At room temperature its really good. I'll have to see how the roast develops after a couple of days. Allot of times I like the coffee better after a few days of roasting. I just roasted this after work yesterday.
 
Hope so, wanted to get more but it allready added up and dont drink regular, might have to change that.
Now with all this talk and new info I need to Roast and make some Coffee lol, back in 30min :)
 
SavinaRed said:
So far my favorite coffee that I've roasted is an Ethiopian Sidamo that was dry processed. I ordered 5lbs from Amazon for $34 shipped. 
 
 
My two favorite coffees I've had were both from Africa. One from Kenya & one from Ethiopia. Haven't seen the Kenyan one at the local coffee roaster in awhile but got a lb and a half of the Ethiopian one on hand. Makes great coffee in the french press, really bright and flavorful.
 
TXCG said:
 
My two favorite coffees I've had were both from Africa. One from Kenya & one from Ethiopia. Haven't seen the Kenyan one at the local coffee roaster in awhile but got a lb and a half of the Ethiopian one on hand. Makes great coffee in the french press, really bright and flavorful.
Agreed I just finished with a pound of the Kenya AA and it is something I will be reordering for sure. And my favorites so far have been the 2 Ethiopian's I've tried. The Yirga and the Sidamo. Both of those were dry processed rather than wet processed.
 
Top