coffee-tea Coffee

Gee whiz, gm... if it wasn't groundbreaking stuff, how could this Temple mob ever take credit for delivering this method to you.....?

templecoffee.com said:
PRO-TIP: Different teas will extract at different rates. Taste a small sample at 6 hours. If it’s too weak for your liking, taste again at 7 hours. Repeat until desired taste is achieved.

Never made iced tea in my life, but if I ever decided to, it sure is good to know I got the pros by my side to guide me in the process of making something to my liking....

Scuba_Steve said:
I am a bit of a coffee snob, so I figured I would share...

For those of you on the fence with home roasting, it is the best investment you will ever make!

Most things like this always end up costing 3x more than if you were to just store buy.  I brew beer for example, expensive as hell IMO.  Not home roasting though...  I can buy bags of some of the best coffees around the world for $6lb when bought green.  And I really mean top of the line shit!.  If you want a really good hookup join a green bean coop.  They send beans to a professional cupper to be rated, and only if the coffee is up to coop standards they then order hundreds to thousands of pounds directly from the farm.  They then turn around and distribute it with almost no overhead to the members in 3-5lb batches.

So the basics of home roasting on a budget.  Buy an air popcorn popper.  Some wont work because they don't get hot enough.  The West Bend Poppery is the popper of choice.  The Poppery 2 is second, and there are a ton of clones as well.  I personally use a Poppery 2, but have bought a cheap no name popper when I was deployed and needed a 220v popper and had no issues.

Next get a long extension cord.  This is a trick to make life easier, and to get a more consistent roast.  Air poppers roast really fast.  It is often hard, especially when first starting to get your timing down right because of this.  The extension cord adds some resistance to the electric load, and therefore make the popper operate slower.

Pour about 3.5 ounces of beans into the popper and turn it on.  The beans should be swirling around in a circle very slowly right now.  If they aren't moving at all then you have to many beans.  Once they start roasting they will move much faster.

The key to roasting is to listen to the beans.  They will go through what is called the first crack and the second crack.  This is the sugars in the beans breaking down and caramelizing.  It is absolutely imperative that you learn to be able to tell the difference between these two sounds.  The first sounds like popcorn popping.  The second sounds more like the sound you here when you shock someone with static electricity.

If using a popcorn popper, these two cracks can come very close together in time.  Slowing down the roast will cause more of a gap between them, hence more accuracy.

For a light roast, or a "City" roast you remove the beans from the roaster after the first crack ends. 

A medium/dark roast is "Full City" to "Full City+".  Hear you wait until you hear the first snap of the second crack and then remove.  FC+ you wait util you have heard a few snaps of the second crack.  This is where I roast almost all of my coffees.  Smoke will begin coming off the beans here as well.

A really dark roast is "Vienna, French, Spanish".  These are well into the second crack.  Frankly, the beans are burning at this point, and most good notes are lost.

The beans will continue to roast after you remove them unless you cool them quickly.  I have made coolers out of a coffee can and a computer fan.  Really a large colander is all that's needed though.  Pour the beans out of the roaster into the colander.  Shake it back and forth to keep air moving around the beans, and they will be cool enough to hand touch in a couple minutes.

Seal them in a mason jar or a ziplock bag for at least 12 hours.  The beans need time to degas.  When you open this for the first time, make sure you keep your nose close by.  The smell will be pure heaven!

Grind appropriately for your brewing apperatus, and serve!  Coffee stays fresh for years in green format.  2 weeks is about the max once roasted though.  Folgers has probably been siting for 2 years!  Once ground, drink within an hour.  Any longer than any of these times, and your drinking stale coffee!

BTW, as mentioned the Aeropress is amazing.  A French press is a far second place, and a just forget about drip makers.  Yuck!

Good Luck!

So ...

Added a Presto PopLite and a 100' extension cord ...

It's imminent.

grantmichaels said:
attachicon.gif
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1420434548.720498.jpg

attachicon.gif
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1420434599.290237.jpg

attachicon.gif
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1420434610.524746.jpg

attachicon.gif
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1420434621.474713.jpg

attachicon.gif
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1420434651.593214.jpg

I'm trying to understand coffee better. This thread is awesome. I tell you what though. When I was 18 I could have made such a bad ass bong out of this setup!

Can't see anyone up here buying that crap.  For 23$ lb you can get some fresh roasted Congo Kivu  from Planet bean that is worth every penny. 

My favorite coffee is Stumptown's Hairbender.   I always brew a cup in my French press before I head off to work.   

If I'm felling a little fancier I brew some café bustelo in my percolator that I bought at a market in Lucca Italy.  I just add a little flavored syrup and some frothed milk...divine. 

Over the Christmas Holiday my son was in town and started talking about coffee roasting. So I ordered some beans, a whirly pop old fashioned manual popcorn popper  and started roasting my own coffee. Then I read about a hot air popcorn popper and fond a good one at a thrift store. I now have 5 different types of beans I roast and its much easier to do than I had expected. And the flavor is outstanding so needless to say I will not be buying any roasted coffee at a store anytime soon. I got a pour over from my son for Christmas that makes 4-6 cups and the taste is fantastic. I use it when someone else will be drinking coffee with me otherwise I mostly use my Aero Press on a daily basis and my espresso machine. I still use my French Press but not as often as the other methods above. Once I file my taxes this year and get my return I will buy a Fresh Roast sr700 or a Behmor 1600 roaster and I'm leaning towards the sr700 at this time. 

SavinaRed said:
Over the Christmas Holiday my son was in town and started talking about coffee roasting. So I ordered some beans, a whirly pop old fashioned manual popcorn popper  and started roasting my own coffee. Then I read about a hot air popcorn popper and fond a good one at a thrift store. I now have 5 different types of beans I roast and its much easier to do than I had expected. And the flavor is outstanding so needless to say I will not be buying any roasted coffee at a store anytime soon. I got a pour over from my son for Christmas that makes 4-6 cups and the taste is fantastic. I use it when someone else will be drinking coffee with me otherwise I mostly use my Aero Press on a daily basis and my espresso machine. I still use my French Press but not as often as the other methods above. Once I file my taxes this year and get my return I will buy a Fresh Roast sr700 or a Behmor 1600 roaster and I'm leaning towards the sr700 at this time. 

I'd feel lonely if you weren't around ... operating similarly ...

I'll get to this coffee roasting soon ... I even have a bag of green beans on hand, already =/

grantmichaels said:

I'd feel lonely if you weren't around ... operating similarly ...

I'll get to this coffee roasting soon ... I even have a bag of green beans on hand, already =/
Bro its so easy to do and only takes 5-10 minutes to make and let me tell you it is the best tasting coffee you will ever drink my friend. I just made a pour over 4 cup carafe with a blend of Ethiopian yirga and Sulawesi. This is one delicious cup of Joe.

Back