• Start a personal food blog, or, start a community food thread for all.

Comfort Food Thread

Searched and found one 7 years ago and instead of activating a necro thread with dead photobucket links I thought might start a new one. Winter here so probably gona do some sweet stuff :D

Had a craving for eggs lately. Rye bread/tomato with a slab of Havarti, Golden berry hot sauce and harissa sauce.

RM03cAj.jpg

Scoville DeVille said:
Looks awesome Big King Richard.

But WTactualF is "peameal bacon"?

Or do I wanna know?

Sometimes I swear you Canucks make fun of us with your secret language code. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
it's "Canadian bacon"  :rofl:                                                         :seeya:

btw, you wanna know the fastest way to upset a Canuck ?   
call "peameal-bacon"   Canadian bacon  :rofl:  :rofl:  :rofl: :rofl:

peameal-bacon is wet-cured  " not smoked" pork loin from the back of the hog that has been trimmed of fat and rolled in cornmeal, creating a yellow crust. Originally, it was rolled in crushed yellow peas, hence the name peameal. It is trimmed to be much leaner than the pork belly strips that the Aussies call “streaky,” and Canadians and Americans call simply: “bacon.” The wet curing process also makes it juicier even though it's leaner.

:cheers:

Ashen said:
If using Reggie's sauce on eggs makes you a dick, just call me Big Richard.

Homecured maple peameal bacon, perfect crispy&runny sunny egg, toast and Warrantman Homicide.

Add some good coffee and that is about as solid as a Sunday breakfast gets.
attachicon.gif
_20190113_142407.JPG
attachicon.gif
_20190113_142507.JPG

mrs. blues dog Trouble.

She and I.

Both looked at those pics.

And we both thought the same thang.

At the same time.

I should make that.

And throw it out into the back yard.

Where both of us.

Would not only eat it.

In the dirt.

But roll around in the after birth.

She's Aussie.

I'm Hungarian.

We invented crazy.

Scoville DeVille said:
Looks awesome Big King Richard.

But WTactualF is "peameal bacon"?

Or do I wanna know?

Sometimes I swear you Canucks make fun of us with your secret language code. :Rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
GIP covered it fairly well. I use center cut pork loin roast when I make it.

Back in the early 1800's Canada shipped millions of pounds of cured pork to Britain.
With no refrigeration it all needed to be preserved. It is why Toronto's nickname is hogtown. Typically once out of brine there were two options. Dried to form a pellicle then smoked for back bacon. A ham like device that seems to have inspired that horrendous American product "Canadian Bacon". Or once out of brine it was packed in barrels with Cornmeal for shipping. The cornmeal acted as a dessicant and also prevented certain vermin from infesting it.
Long before that homesteaders would do something similar but would use coarse ground yellow peas instead, to preserve meat for over the winter months. Some would even use ashes, Sawdust and other things instead

I have tried making it with actual peameal and while it us good, I prefer cornmeal having grown up with it.

Think of it as a thin maple brined pork cutlet with a light crunchy coating.

saiias said:
I found out in a hard way that Reggie's sauces don't go with my wife. Lol.

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

I have learned the hard way myself,  about sharing hotsauces and other goods from fellow chili-heads but, though i can't recall, whose sauces it was at first...
I kept trying again thinking they were significantly less hot yet still enjoyable each time...
Then even again, used what i thought to be an even milder sauce...
Nope...
Eventually, I learned, that; I, not only can handle much hotter, but LIKE it much hotter, than the wife does.
Since having learned that, most meals, I cook separately and have found a sauce or rub that spices my portion up enough for me and just cook hers separate.
sometimes its as simple as separate marinades and putting a divider ridge in the aluminum foil  :cool:

I've slacked lately but I've been busy.

Last night was beef ribs with some of Mike's smoked scotch bonnet flakes on the noodles. YEP it's hotter than you think but good.
100_3854.JPG

Tonight was store bought seasoned/marinated 1.5" thick sausage stuffed pork chops, not much stuffing but it worked
with green onions, bells, celery and broccoli
store bought stuffed crab
salad topped with RANCH(TB juice)
browned the chops in a roasting pan, baked at 350 for 30 minutes, added the veggies and baked again for 30 minutes wrapped in foil then added the broccoli.
water added along the way to make a gravy with all the veggie/meat juices, it came out thick and flavorful. The veggies soaked that up and were delicious.
This is just part of the chop, it was too big to eat
100_3857.JPG

100_3856.JPG

Back