• Start a personal food blog, or, start a community food thread for all.

Comida South America!

For a long time now South American food, esp Peruvian, has held a special place in my heart. Recently i was generously given a gift of a couple of Rocoto sauces from friends overseas. So I thought id start this thread in hopes to learn more about the cuisine and also try my hand a little more often to cook some of their dishes.

tonights dinner is a couple of my Peruvian favorites:

*Anticuchos - Traditionally beef heart is used.... i used blade steak marinated in 1/2C vinegar, 2T Aji Panca paste, garlic, scotch bonnett, oregano, cumin
*Ajiaco de Papas- 1/2 onion diced and sauteed in butter/oil, add 200g of diced halloumi (or queso fresco), add 3T Aji Amarillo paste, 1/2C stock, 1/2C evaporated milk. Stir and mash in 1kg of cooked potatoes.
*Others - Rice, Salsa Criolla (onion) and one of my favorite beers, Cusquena Negra.

2015-01-25%2012.30.30_zpsvhiq7cib.jpg

2015-01-25%2014.00.14_zpsgtgsntvp.jpg

JayT said:
Great idea for a thread.  One request though, for those of us that are not native Spanish speakers, when posting food, could we have translations please?

JayT said:
*Ajiaco de Papas

Noted mate.

To be fair sometimes i dont know the exact translation myself (my Spanish is awful), it may just be the name of the dish. Also dishes with the same name can be vastly different depending on the region.... Ajiaco in Colombia barely resembles the Peruvian type i made.... its why i try to give a description. Will definately translate more clearly when i can. Cheers for the feedback.
grantmichaels said:
I thought so, too.

I happen to have a tenderloin in the icebox, as well.

I'll make that next week, sometime.

Nice.

Id be a little apprehensive making that dish for myself.... chances are the leftover wine would be long gone by the time it was to throw it in the fire lol

A couple more Peruvian dishes.

A few days ago i tried making a dish called Seco de Pollo or Chicken Stew. The literal translation of "seco" is dry, i dont know why they call it that, but it is a specific style of stew that can be made with various protiens. While i dont think it could ever be a particularly attractive dish, mine seems to look even more crappy than usual lol, but the flavors were there and it tasted great so i was happy.

Seco de Pollo - Chicken stewed in a broth of onion, garlic, carrot, peas, cumin, aji amarillo paste, black lager, stock and blended corriander.

2015-03-31%2019.45.06_zpsjuk9fejv.jpg

Yesterday was good friday and was invited around my friend's house for an easter feed. His uncles made Arroz con Mariscos (Seafood Rice) and Ceviche. Not in the photo but we also had a bowl of fish broth called Chilcano which is made from an oily fish similar to makerel served with fresh chilli sauce. Once again pretty crappy picture, but everything tasted great. We were well and truely stuffed the rest of the day.

Arroz con Mariscos - Mixed seafood stir fried with onion, garlic, red bell peppers, Aji Panca paste and pre cooked rice.
Ceviche - Raw fish and onions cured in lemon, lime, salt and pepper. 

2015-04-03%2016.03.53_zpsil6wddet.jpg

That looks killer CH! Would you mind sharing your basic recipe? What gives your broth the yellow color in the second photo?

Seafood rice is one of my favourite dishes ever.... eaten with ceviche its amazing.... they go together like bread and butter.

Cheers Bumper..... i love paella also.... been a long time since i had that.... i'll have to change that soon me thinks

TINNIE: The recipe is very, very simple...

Collect aromatic herbs from her garden. What we have, or the market shelf (rosemary, cumin, thyme, ciboullette, dill, sage, mint, etc. Your taste) If not have fresh, you can also use dried herbs, but it is always better fresh.

This time had shrimp, squid and clams. If you want use the squid or octopus, these are boiled before at least 20 minutes. Find out how the squid is boiled to make it tender.

A chopped onion, garlic, green onions and olive oil. It is fried in the pan. Add seafood and fry until sealed (4 or 5 minutes). If you want you can add a splash of white wine. while frie seafood. The wine gives very good flavor.

Then add water (1 cup +/-) and 1 vegetable stock powder, paprika abundant, pepper and spices to taste. Do not forget the Spanish saffron, that's the yellow color you see.

Boil a few minutes and add the rice (double carolina) and cook until the rice is ready. The rice should end in the same amount as seafood or less. You must calculate the rice absorbs water, if necessary add more water.

CAUTION: Do not overdo the water because you will get a soup. It should be wet should not be dry.

When the rice is in point is served.

When you do, tell us you like...

cypresshill1973 said:
TINNIE: The recipe is very, very simple...
Collect aromatic herbs from her garden. What we have, or the market shelf (rosemary, cumin, thyme, ciboullette, dill, sage, mint, etc. Your taste) If not have fresh, you can also use dried herbs, but it is always better fresh.

This time had shrimp, squid and clams. If you want use the squid or octopus, these are boiled before at least 20 minutes. Find out how the squid is boiled to make it tender.

A chopped onion, garlic, green onions and olive oil. It is fried in the pan. Add seafood and fry until sealed (4 or 5 minutes). If you want you can add a splash of white wine. while frie seafood. The wine gives very good flavor.

Then add water (1 cup +/-) and 1 vegetable stock powder, paprika abundant, pepper and spices to taste. Do not forget the Spanish saffron, that's the yellow color you see.

Boil a few minutes and add the rice (double carolina) and cook until the rice is ready. The rice should end in the same amount as seafood or less. You must calculate the rice absorbs water, if necessary add more water.
CAUTION: Do not overdo the water because you will get a soup. It should be wet should not be dry.

When the rice is in point is served.

When you do, tell us you like...

Well i couldnt wait CH  :P

I used sage, thyme and bay leaves from the garden. Fresh mix of prawns, calamari (to save time) and fish.... clams were nearly $30 for a kilo bag (!?!)   :shocked: .... so i went with mussels instead. Didnt have any wine but did add a few Tbsp of paprika and a little cumin.

Was delicious mate.... your recipe is definately a keeper 
2015-04-07%2017.18.37_zps32m42e9w.jpg

kibaumm said:
Ohhh man... south america food, and no Brazilian FEIJOADA yet? no way!
I need to fixed this.  get ready to know Brazilian madness!! ahahaha
Saturday will be here!

Helllllllllllllllllllllllll yes!

Feijoada has been on my to do list forever.

Cant wait to see how you make yours!

It is quite similar to paella. The paella rice only takes saffron is yellow and cooked differently, the flavor is more soft. This is a strong flavor.

Tinnie said:

Well i couldnt wait CH  :P

I used sage, thyme and bay leaves from the garden. Fresh mix of prawns, calamari (to save time) and fish.... clams were nearly $30 for a kilo bag (!?!)   :shocked: .... so i went with mussels instead. Didnt have any wine but did add a few Tbsp of paprika and a little cumin.

Was delicious mate.... your recipe is definately a keeper 
2015-04-07%2017.18.37_zps32m42e9w.jpg

NICE!!! I like the mussels!  Now I want eat rice also :crazy:

Brazilian Feijoada!
IMG_20150411_085239029_HDR.jpg

The ingredients, left to right: saltcured pig feet, smoked pok tail, paio(smoked beef and pork sausage), bacon, calabresa( smoked pork sausage) an on top, saltcured pork ribs and jerkey beef. 

IMG_20150411_114316552.jpg

Boiling!!

IMG_20150411_120737094.jpg

How i like to eat, with casava flaour and vinagrete salad and a caipirinha!!

IMG_20150411_121610319.jpg

My son likes with rice and casava  flour!

kibaumm said:
Brazilian Feijoada!
IMG_20150411_085239029_HDR.jpg

The ingredients, left to right: saltcured pig feet, smoked pok tail, paio(smoked beef and pork sausage), bacon, calabresa( smoked pork sausage) an on top, saltcured pork ribs and jerkey beef. 

IMG_20150411_114316552.jpg

Boiling!!

IMG_20150411_120737094.jpg

How i like to eat, with casava flaour and vinagrete salad and a caipirinha!!

IMG_20150411_121610319.jpg

My son likes with rice and casava  flour!

giphy.gif

tumblr_mqwyod3V7O1qmmmfio1_500.gif

anigif_enhanced-9374-1398869950-5.gif

Daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaamn! That looks fantastic.... bravo!

Can i ask about the addition of Cassava flour? is it added for flavor or is it a texture thing?

Also what is the common chilli where you are from? Is there a chilli salsa (or house chilli) that is common with your family meals?

Hope that makes sense hehe.... thankyou for sharing your meal 

Back