• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Compmodder26's 2012 Grow Log - New Video Update

So I just finalized my grow list for 2012, aka my first attempt at growing peppers. I'm starting out relatively small for my first time, although it has been tough trying to narrow them down thanks to Jamie (romy6) and his extreme generosity. But at any rate here is what I plan to grow:

Red Bhut Jolokia - 1
7 Pot Jonah - 1
Naga Morich - 2
Brain Strain - 2
TS Butch T - 2
Chocolate Bhut Jolokia - 1
Yellow Fatalii - 1

So that's a total of 10 plants and 7 varieties. I'll be starting at the first of the year.

Wish me luck!

Edit: Hehe, I just posted this and I'm already changing it up. I decided that since I'm growing 2 naga morich, they are supposed to be similar to bhuts so I dropped 1 red bhut and added 1 7 pot jonah

Just realized that it's been around a month since my little bhut jolokia popped from the soil. So in honor of its ~1 month birthday, here is a pic from Dec. 9 and a pic taken today (again forgive me for the blurry pic, phone camera sucks).

Dec. 9
P1080978.JPG

Jan. 6
Photo0054.jpg

Getting third and fourth sett of leaves growing at the same time. Its also starting to branch from the base of the lowest set of leaves.

To the right you can see one of the Butch T's that has popped up from the soil.

Nah, it's actually just plain old Miracle Gro potting soil. The top is getting dry right now. I'll need to give it a drink tomorrow. And I'm actually going to be potting it up tomorrow.

So one of my Butch T's that has popped from the soil still has the seed shell stuck to the top of it. The seedling is almost standing fully erect, probably about a 45 degree angle. Should I attempt to remove the shell or should I just let it be?

Nevermind, I carefully pulled it off. I think it should be fine.
I used a technique suggested by bigCedar in his grow log on here. Fingernail clippers and tweezers with 100% success rate on about 7 seed helmets so far...just carefully clip the edges and it comes right off.

I used a technique suggested by bigCedar in his grow log on here. Fingernail clippers and tweezers with 100% success rate on about 7 seed helmets so far...just carefully clip the edges and it comes right off.

Awesome advice. I'll have to do that next time. It was quite nerve racking. At times I felt like I was going to snap the poor thing in half. But it's doing well. It's standing completely now and starting to open.

As I mentioned earlier, I was going to pot up my bhut jolokia. Here is a pic of it in its new home:
Photo0057.jpg

Here's a pic of the sprouted Butch T's and a 7 Pot Jonah:
Photo0058.jpg

48 hours after potting up my bhut jolokia, it seems to be really happy in its new home.
Photo0060.jpg

Here's the how the sprouts look today:
Photo0061.jpg

Here's a pic of the whole setup. The three pouches in the middle front have sprouts that are just about to pop out of the soil. The pouches on the right are the Naga Morich and Fataliis that popped hooks three days ago.
Photo0062.jpg

My wife found out that I had seeds for bell pepper and sweet banana peppers (well she didn't really "find out", I told her freely :) ) thanks to Dale (BakersPeppers). So I decided to drop the chocolate bhuts from this years grow. Instead I'll do one each of the sweet banana and bell peppers. I plan to start them sometime mid February.

I forgot to mention a couple of oddities I've encountered along the way.

First, one of the brainstrain seeds that I thought was germinating actually was growing inside the seed. After a couple of days without an actual hook popping out (just a bulge), I decided to see if I could help it along. I took a toothpick and gently pulled up on the bulge and out came two white cotyledons. Has anybody else experienced that?

Also, the third Butch T seed that I kept just popped out of the soil yesterday. What is strange though is that one of the cotyledons is split into two parts at the tip. Here is a pic (again blurry due to the crappy camera phone):
Photo0064.jpg

What other odd things have you guys experienced?

Oh yeah, the other brainstrains that germinated properly are popping out the soil now, but both have seed helmets. So looks like I get to perform some more surgery.

Nice looking Bhut, was the previous container filled up with roots? Just curious why you potted up again so soon?
In any case you will have a large plant before plant-out.............cool

Greg

Nice looking Bhut, was the previous container filled up with roots? Just curious why you potted up again so soon?
In any case you will have a large plant before plant-out.............cool

Greg

Yes the 16 oz cup I had it in was getting roots filling up the bottom and sides. There were even a few roots coming out of the drainage holes.

Another "oddity" I have. Well I'm not sure if this is an oddity or not; it could be completely normal. I've been running my lights from 7 AM to 9 PM. At around 7 PM every night I notice that the bhut's leaves start drooping. But the very next morning, they are standing nice and straight. I assume this is normal? Does it just get tired?

That's normal, especially in a warmer environment. Water evaporation through the leaves generally makes them willow out. A dark period will cooler air temp will perk them up. I'm sure your using a fan at plant level. Some people make the mistake of watering the soil when this happens. Fine, if the soils dry but what ends up happening, if the plant sits in a constant packed wet medium the leaves will start to yellow. Once that happens someone here does an ad for cal/mag............when the plant doesn't need it.....ha. That starts a whole need thread on what's wrong with my plant?
My thought on this is to keep things simple......these plants are survivors, one they're up and running.
You may be newer to the grow scene but you ask intelligent questions, and reply to others with intelligent answers.
Can't wait to see some photos of your monster plants this summer.

Greg

Aww, you got me blushing :oops:, thanks Greg.

I figured it was normal. Just wanted to be sure. I'm making sure to not overwater. I haven't watered it since Saturday when I potted it up. The soil at the top is indeed dry, but since it has plenty of room to stretch it's legs, it keeps finding more moist soil further down. I won't water it until it is wilting during the day.

And yes I'm running an oscillating fan ~ 4 hours a day at medium power about 3 feet from it. I have the fan rotating so that it's not constantly blowing on it. I figured that giving it a good strong breeze every few seconds would "shock" it into growing a thicker stalk and branches.

Edit: Let me add that any "intelligent" answers I have given have been solely because of the wealth of knowledge that I've gleamed from all of you here! So allow me to express my gratitude for all the help and teaching I've received from everybody here.

So whether it's right or wrong (most likely wrong), I get impatient and like to see just how far along my seeds that haven't popped out of the soil are. I checked today and am not happy. One of my Fataliis must have dampened off as it is nowhere to be found. But I'm not too concerned about that as I was only keeping 1 anyway, and the other one is popping out of the soil today. But I checked both of my naga morich today and while one is close to popping out of the soil, the other one isn't looking so good. The root part of the seed is actually just circling round and round. It's not actually going down into the mix. So I'm not holding much hope for it. That's the part that I'm mad about. Because I wanted to have two naga morich plants. I've started some more seeds, so hopefully 1 will sprout quickly enough to not lag behind all of the rest.

So whether it's right or wrong (most likely wrong), I get impatient and like to see just how far along my seeds that haven't popped out of the soil are. I checked today and am not happy. One of my Fataliis must have dampened off as it is nowhere to be found. But I'm not too concerned about that as I was only keeping 1 anyway, and the other one is popping out of the soil today. But I checked both of my naga morich today and while one is close to popping out of the soil, the other one isn't looking so good. The root part of the seed is actually just circling round and round. It's not actually going down into the mix. So I'm not holding much hope for it. That's the part that I'm mad about. Because I wanted to have two naga morich plants. I've started some more seeds, so hopefully 1 will sprout quickly enough to not lag behind all of the rest.

Sry about your misfortune! Hopefully your luck will improve soon!

Sry about your misfortune! Hopefully your luck will improve soon!

Thanks Jon. I hope it does too! Also, one of the Brain Strains that I clipped the seed helmet off of isn't looking good. I believe I clipped the helmet too soon and the cotyledons weren't formed enough. They haven't opened and there actually looks like a bit of necrosis at the tips. I've left the seed helmet on the other one, so hopefully it will live. If I can have at least one of each variety survive, I'll be happy.

Sounds like the root issue can be fixed by adding a bit more of a light scattering of mix over it. Keep the visable roots covered and you should be ok. Don't know if you did the dampen towel method to germinate the seeds. If you do it that way once the root leaves the hull, poke a 1/4" hole into the soil/medium that your using and drop the seed in root first and scatter some more litht weight mix over it and use a spray bottle to mist until damp. A stream of water out of w/can can push the seed deeper, possibly causing rot in the damp soil before it emerges.
When in dought, plant a couple mre seeds...

Greg

Back