• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Compmodder26's 2012 Grow Log - New Video Update

So I just finalized my grow list for 2012, aka my first attempt at growing peppers. I'm starting out relatively small for my first time, although it has been tough trying to narrow them down thanks to Jamie (romy6) and his extreme generosity. But at any rate here is what I plan to grow:

Red Bhut Jolokia - 1
7 Pot Jonah - 1
Naga Morich - 2
Brain Strain - 2
TS Butch T - 2
Chocolate Bhut Jolokia - 1
Yellow Fatalii - 1

So that's a total of 10 plants and 7 varieties. I'll be starting at the first of the year.

Wish me luck!

Edit: Hehe, I just posted this and I'm already changing it up. I decided that since I'm growing 2 naga morich, they are supposed to be similar to bhuts so I dropped 1 red bhut and added 1 7 pot jonah

... If I add enough lights to get to 3000 lumens / square foot, I'll need to get some mylar to go in front. Don't think my wife would be happy with having the light output of a lighthouse shining upstairs....

Yea, and you're way too far inland to be effective as a lighthouse beam....... :cool:

If you do enclose the grow tent with mylar, make sure you get a fan in there--a couple little computer fans would help distribute heat and make the stems tough.

Looking forward to watching you grow stuff, it should be awesome. I'll have to check out the root pouches you mentioned from the ghmegastore. You should have some monster plants by April, and looks like you have it covered with those pouch sizes if you have the space. Good luck!

Woohoo! Getting the first true set of leaves forming on my little bhut jolokia.

P1090011.JPG

P1090012.JPG

First set of leaves are doing very well and now the second set of leaves are starting to develop on my bhut jolokia. Look at the bottom of the lower leaf. More pics next week when I begin germinating the other seeds.

P1090031.JPG

Let me run my fertilizing plan by you guys and see what you think of it. First of all, I wasn't planning on doing any fertilizing until the first pot up to 1 gallon root pouches. Then I am planning on using this fish fertilizer every 2 weeks and using CalMag with every watering. I plan to do this until the plants start flowering then I plan to still use the CalMag but then do an equal parts mix of this fish fertilizer with the previously mentioned one. If my math is correct that would give a 5-11-11 nutrient profile, which I believe would be more optimal for flowering/fruiting. Am I on the right track or am I going to do terrible things to my plants?

you are on the track to do terrible things to your plants
if you mix 0-10-10 with equal parts 5-1-1 you will then have ±2.5-5.5-5.5
if you use 1-1-1 fertilizer at ten times strength i believe you 'get' 10-10-10
and if you use 20-20-20 at half strength you 'get' 10-10-10 but i ain't necessarily 'right' in the head either
i have 'used' a 20-20-20 at four times recommended strength (on a different 'variety')
but had built up to it little by little

did you get the lights closer yet?

you are on the track to do terrible things to your plants
if you mix 0-10-10 with equal parts 5-1-1 you will then have ±2.5-5.5-5.5
if you use 1-1-1 fertilizer at ten times strength i believe you 'get' 10-10-10
and if you use 20-20-20 at half strength you 'get' 10-10-10 but i ain't necessarily 'right' in the head either
i have 'used' a 20-20-20 at four times recommended strength (on a different 'variety')
but had built up to it little by little

did you get the lights closer yet?

Hmm I was under the impression that if I mixed the recommended dose of each that they would just combine to make 5-11-11. I wasn't planning on halving the dosage for each.

And yes, the lights are about 5 inches from the top of the seedling.

Looking good my friend! I'm right behind you! about 6 of my plants just started thier true leaves. Getting close to feeding it right?

Thanks Jon. That's where I'm still torn. It is growing somewhat slowly, but I don't think that's necessarily a bad thing, since I still won't be moving it outside for about another 17 weeks. But at the same time I want it to reach its full potential. The mix I have it in right now has some really mild fertilizer in it already (0.21 - 0.07 - 0.14), so I that's why I was thinking I'd wait until I pot up to 1 gallon pots before I add any other ferts. It's sitting in a 16 oz cup right now. I really should get some black construction paper or something else to wrap around the cup though, since it's a clear cup.

Thanks Jon. That's where I'm still torn. It is growing somewhat slowly, but I don't think that's necessarily a bad thing, since I still won't be moving it outside for about another 17 weeks. But at the same time I want it to reach its full potential. The mix I have it in right now has some really mild fertilizer in it already (0.21 - 0.07 - 0.14), so I that's why I was thinking I'd wait until I pot up to 1 gallon pots before I add any other ferts. It's sitting in a 16 oz cup right now. I really should get some black construction paper or something else to wrap around the cup though, since it's a clear cup.

Be kind with the fertilizers, when you think you've diluted them to the right proportions, dilute them even futher. I find that much less, more often works out the best when using nutrients for the plants.
As far as the clear cups go. Just slip them into an opaque "solo" cup of the same size. No need to wrap the cups with other materials.

Greg

Excellent, I'll keep that in mind. Thanks Greg!

I just put all mine into some red solo cups, I was using clear cups as well. Apparently the roots dont like or don't need the light, Guess ya learn something new every day lol. I need to go out and get some of that Mylar :)

Yeah, I figured that out after the fact too. The mylar is great and cheap. It's not specifically designed for growing, but it's a heck of a lot cheaper than the stuff that is sold for it. It's just emergency blankets. The material is very thin and in a single layer, it is see through, meaning that some light will escape. To combat that, I just doubled it up and it works wonderful.

So I started germinating the rest of the seeds on Monday. Sorry no pics of the process, need batteries for the camera. I looked today and 2 yellow fatalii seeds are starting to get hooks already. No hooks yet with the superhots, but I do see a few seeds that are starting to open at the bottom. Gonna wet some seed starting mix on my lunch and let it sit until tomorrow, then I'll put the 2 fatalii seeds in to the grow box.

Forgot to mention that for the varieties that I'm growing two each of, I'm going to keep 3 seedlings until I pot up to 1 gallon pouches (keeping the two best looking seedlings). And for the varieties that I'm growing 1 each of, I'm keeping 2 seedlings until I pot up. So I'll have a few seedlings that I can give away to friends and family.

I've got hooks in 3 Butch T's and 2 7 Pot Jonahs. They are all in soil now. I must have been wrong about the Fatalii hooks because there has been no changes with them. I've left them in the baggie for now.

Photo0051.jpg

My little bhut jolokia is doing quite well right now. It's getting it's third set of leaves. Pretty soon I'll need to pot it up.
Photo0052.jpg

Sorry for the blurry pics. I'm using my crappy phone camera. Got the regular camera packed away in the hospital bag for when my wife goes into labor. Not sure if I said it or not, but we are expecting our second child any time now.

Went to Lowe's on my lunch and got two 100 watt equivalent 2700K CFLs, clip light, and y-adapter. So I now have 2 2700K and 2 5000K lights at 1600 lumens each for a total of 1066 lumens/ft[sup]2[/sup]. Hardly the 3000 that's recommended for a complete grow, but hopefully it will be enough to get me into the spring.

With a towel draped over the front, it's sitting at about 82 degrees F in there.

Photo0053.jpg

Got hooks starting in 3 Brain Strains. One was large enough for me to put it in the grow box. The other 2 should be ready to go tomorrow. Still waiting on the Fatalii, Naga Morich, and Chocolate Bhuts.

Lookin good dude! that's gonna be plenty of light to get you to spring time :) congrats on the brainstrains. My chocolate bhut seeds took damn near the longest to pop out of all the varietys I started. keep us posted!

Brandon

Thanks Brandon! Yeah, I'm starting to get a little impatient. The ones I'm really wanting to pop are the naga morich. I love making hot sauces and I have high hopes for them as they are supposed to be prolific producers with similar heat to bhuts. Really wanting to get a good supply of them to use as the star in the sauces I make.

Exciting times! 2 Naga morich and 2 fataliis are getting hooks. They should be ready to put in seed starting mix tomorrow. And 2 of my Butch Ts are popping out of the grow mix.

The third Brain Strain seed that had a hook has stopped growing. Not sure what happened there. But looks like another one might be getting ready to pop a hook.

Still waiting on those darn choco bhuts. Looks like you are right Brandon.

Back